ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planted Discus tank planning

Registered Member

Default Re: Planted Discus tank planning

So I’ve decided to go with a fireaqua 80 gallon tank. If I went with 6 adult discus in the tank could I still do a 25-30 cardinal dither fish group? I’ve been planning my filtration and thinking about running fuel canisters I have a 2213 eheim in my current tank that I’d plan on running my co2 through. And then getting a fluvel fx 6 for high water filtration. I always run kessel lighting as the shimmer is the best. Is that overstocked? I know most ppl say small plant load but I’m an aquascaper enthusiast first and for most so the plant load with be high in the section I plant.

Thanks everyone has been such a massive help already.

What are the dimensions? Gallons aren't as important as surface area for stocking density.

Registered Member

120x50x50cm

Those dimensions are good. To be pedantic, discus don't need dithers. Cardinals are fine as accent fish (some may get eaten, but they won't hurt the discus), but you don't need to add them if you are worried about aggression.

To be an even bigger pain, a rimless tank of those dimensions should have 13mm sides. 12mm glass with that footprint is safe to 18.5" of water height.

Registered Member

Awesome, that’s not a problem I always leave the water about an inch lower. It helps with jumpers on a side note how are discus as jumpers? Would a lid be advisable?

Yes, discus can be jumpers, so a lid is advisable.

However, I once got by for about 3 years in a lidless tank without losing a single discus - just lucky that time I guess -
    On another occasion though, I lost 3 in the space of about 6 weeks - when newly acquired fish were unusually startled on several occasions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12