AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: The right way to do a thing.

Default The right way to do a thing.

We all know theres a right way to do a thing and theres a wrong way. Sometimes theres many right ways. And sometimes theres ways that people think that are right but are probably wrong.

Do you know any of these probably wrong things? Give you and example ... starting a siphon of your fish tank by mouth. I bet many of you do (guilty here). It works.Gets the job done. But its really not the right way as any one that gulped nasty tank water will tell you! They actually make siphon starters for that. I have a bunch ...somewhere.

Any other "probably wrong" things come to mind? And fess up if you are guilty.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: The right way to do a thing.

I don't unplug HOB's when doing water changes. They make some strange noises, but I haven't seen any impeller damage or motors burning out.

I've seen many situations like this right here on SD, and I've been guilty several times myself:

A poster comes on asking for advice of one kind or another - and some member ( sometimes me) decides to answer but does the wrong thing by reading through the questions or problem too quickly - perhaps by only scanning it - and takes something out of context, or misunderstands what the poster is asking, or gets the numbers mixed up - whatever - and is soon embarrassed when the initial poster says that wasn't what I was asking, or no, that's not what I want to know - this is what I want advice on- you read it wrong, etc.

Last time I was guilty of this was when I told a poster he did this or that wrong with his new fish, and it would create a problem - only to find when he answered that I had misread his post which I thought stated he already had the discus, when he was simply planning what he would do when he actually got the discus from an LFS where he had taken pics of the fish (that I was sure he had at home in his tank) - embarrassing.

So do the right thing - read the post VERY carefully & take notes if need be, before answering.

Real Name
    Patty

Oh boy, I can name 2 right off the top of my head.
    Replying to a post and realizing after that it’s from like 5 or 10 yrs ago. I may have been the one who brought your whiskers back to the top of a thread. Sorry
    I quickly bought a discus poster after reading they were going fast then realized the post was from like 5 yrs ago. Ha ha.
    I have to check dates and names and know that there really can be more than 1 person with a common name here and a pic of a discus as their profile pic! Duh!
    I also know what metronidazole tastes like after doing the syphon sucking the other day-not that bad really....
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Oh boy, I can name 2 right off the top of my head.
    Replying to a post and realizing after that it’s from like 5 or 10 yrs ago. I may have been the one who brought your whiskers back to the top of a thread. Sorry
    I quickly bought a discus poster after reading they were going fast then realized the post was from like 5 yrs ago. Ha ha.
    I have to check dates and names and know that there really can be more than 1 person with a common name here and a pic of a discus as their profile pic! Duh!
    I also know what metronidazole tastes like after doing the syphon sucking the other day-not that bad really....
    Patty
    lol! well at least it was metro and not bleach....and yes....i did that once. Just once.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    I've seen many situations like this right here on SD, and I've been guilty several times myself:

A poster comes on asking for advice of one kind or another - and some member ( sometimes me) decides to answer but does the wrong thing by reading through the questions or problem too quickly - perhaps by only scanning it - and takes something out of context, or misunderstands what the poster is asking, or gets the numbers mixed up - whatever - and is soon embarrassed when the initial poster says that wasn't what I was asking, or no, that's not what I want to know - this is what I want advice on- you read it wrong, etc.

Last time I was guilty of this was when I told a poster he did this or that wrong with his new fish, and it would create a problem - only to find when he answered that I had misread his post which I thought stated he already had the discus, when he was simply planning what he would do when he actually got the discus from an LFS where he had taken pics of the fish (that I was sure he had at home in his tank) - embarrassing.

So do the right thing - read the post VERY carefully & take notes if need be, before answering.
    guilty

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    I don't unplug HOB's when doing water changes. They make some strange noises, but I haven't seen any impeller damage or motors burning out.
    me too.I figure if theres still water in it its okay right?

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

<Psyching self in front of QT>

It's been weeks... They look fine...

Even though it's not 6 weeks yet,,, They should be fine...

OMG I can't wait to see these guys in my main tank.

I'M PRETTY SURE THEY ARE CLEAN AND READY!

<A week or so later>

Sobbing while medicating the whole main tank...

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Not washing hands after cleaning the tank. Experienced 48h of bowel tearing diarrhea.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Not washing hands after cleaning the tank. Experienced 48h of bowel tearing diarrhea.
    Yep that will definitely make your fish sick.
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I suck every day to get my siphon started. It's efficient and my hose is long so I never get a mouthful.

I am already breaking the most important rule in Discus keeping. I have my new Discus in my fish room rather than in the kitchen. I'm using cycled sponges from my existing tanks and the same nets and WC equipment I use with my other tanks. I'll be breaking the rule in a big way when I introduce my existing fish to my new fish on Sunday. I don't care. If I get a dread disease from these fish I'm done for good and will put Discus behind me forever.
    Mama Bear

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Lloyd

I am just preparing to set up my tank - accumulating everything I think I need before starting.
    Siphon starter - never would have thought of that

where is my list another thing to add

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I suck every day to get my siphon started. It's efficient and my hose is long so I never get a mouthful.

I am already breaking the most important rule in Discus keeping. I have my new Discus in my fish room rather than in the kitchen. I'm using cycled sponges from my existing tanks and the same nets and WC equipment I use with my other tanks. I'll be breaking the rule in a big way when I introduce my existing fish to my new fish on Sunday. I don't care. If I get a dread disease from these fish I'm done for good and will put Discus behind me forever.
    Liz, I hope you don't experience issues then. Tempting the fates with Discus is not for the weak of heart!

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Liz, I hope you don't experience issues then. Tempting the fates with Discus is not for the weak of heart!

al
    Al, I've been known to do stupid things on occasion but I have never been weak of heart.
    Mama Bear