AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: wilds spawning

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Default wilds spawning

Questions for those who've had wilds spawned. Two weeks ago I had a pair of my wild Browns spawn in a large display tank. They took excellent care of the eggs and made it to free swimming stage before an Apisto got to them. A couple days later they started cleaning a spot to spawn again. I took them and put them in a 40 gal. tank using the same substrate, a sponge filter and a couple pieces of wood from the display. They've been in the tank for a week and have settled down but have yet to begin any spawning behavior. Any ideas on weather they'll settle and spawn or not?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: wilds spawning

Hi Mike, you can give them time which might be the best option for now since you have already moved them. When my tefes spawned in my 230 a friend sent me a large piece of foam which allow me to separate the pair from the rest of the tank. They raised two batches.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Jacklyn

It will take time Mike, now that they are in a new environment, it could take months before they are comfortable to spawn again. Congrats on the wild spawn that is quite an accomplishment all on its own.
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Ralph

Congrats Mike on spawning your wilds. You can decide to try the poret foam separation in your display tank as Pat's success proved well or leave them in the 40g.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden