AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to SimplyDiscus!

Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: Welcome to SimplyDiscus!

Welcome to the forum Paul,
    I’ll tell you the one thing no one else will. These fish can be very addicting. Once you get hooked, there’s no cure.
    My husband tolerated my fish hobby until I showed him a discus, then bought some discus. Next thing you know my husband is into them, likes the way they great him when he gets home, likes that they are watching us watch them. Next trip to the fish store he says, “Look at this tank, isn’t it cool?” It’s a 125 gal. We had a 75 gal. You can have more discus in a 125. I’m not complaining. I’m even more addicted than him. You are here on SD now, so it’s probably too late for you anyway, but don’t say nobody warned you...ha ha
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Aqdas Hassaan

Hi, My name is Aqdas Hassaan and I'm from South-Asia. I've always been interested in keeping discuss fish and I have just a little experience keeping discuss. Never bred one though. I'm enjoying my time here so far. A lot of important information you must have if you are planning on breeding discuss fish is here and honestly guys, thanks for that.

I will make sure to update you guys about my progress. Right now I don't have a pair but will get it soon.
    Cheers and Regards..

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Welcome to the forum, always nice to have a new enthusiast join the group, having members from all over the world helps to broaden our horizons. Tell us more and attach photos if you want.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by AQ_Hassaan View Post
    Hi, My name is Aqdas Hassaan and I'm from South-Asia. I've always been interested in keeping discuss fish and I have just a little experience keeping discuss. Never bred one though. I'm enjoying my time here so far. A lot of important information you must have if you are planning on breeding discuss fish is here and honestly guys, thanks for that.

I will make sure to update you guys about my progress. Right now I don't have a pair but will get it soon.
    Cheers and Regards..
    Hi and welcome A. Hassaan .
    I'm looking forward following your pair and breeding progress .

Real Name
    Patty

Welcome to simply discus! I too look forward to seeing your pair. They have a lot to choose from there. I’ve never bred either, because I’d find it difficult to choose 1 kind of discus. I want them all!
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Registered Member

Hello, im Sam, a professional algae farmer from Canada! Im still new to aquariums, started my first tank back in January (10 gallon) and now I have 3 more haha. No fish so far, just shrimp and plants, hoping to change that in the near future. Would love have some discus sometime in the next 1-60 years haha. In the meantime I'll probably bug you all with questions

Nice to meet you, Sam. Please ask away. We love answering questions and helping folks on their way.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

Welcome Sam! Ask away, that's one of the main values of the forum. How is your farmed algae used? Sounds interesting.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Hi and welcome to this forum, nice friendly bunch here so ask to your heart's content, we never get tired of talking about discus or fish in general, heck at times we just can't quit chatting just about anything. Anyway better to ask first rather than wait for things to go sideways and need help fixing problems later. In my experience discus are real easy to keep as long as you give them what they need and it need not be complicated, plenty of folk here grow or keep great looking fish with barely more than 5 panes of glass, a heater and a sponge filter. In a nutshell: keep it simple, 1) buy the best quality fish budget allows -the sponsors on this forum are all tried and tested and ideally don't mix fish from different origins 2) plenty of clean water particularly if they are still growing 3) keep it clean so bare bottom tank or minimal decor 4) good quality food. Enjoy the ride

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Welcome Sam! Ask away, that's one of the main values of the forum. How is your farmed algae used? Sounds interesting.

I meant it in a tongue in cheek kind of way. Although if you can think of a way to make money off of algae let me know haha.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by scaryfish View Post
    I meant it in a tongue in cheek kind of way. Although if you can think of a way to make money off of algae let me know haha.
    Ha, ha, you got me. I think there are some interesting things being done with algae these days, from food source, to eating oil or plastic, or absorbing CO2, if I recall correctly. But I catch your meaning

Registered Member PorcelainChina59's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patricia A Ireland-Martin

Hi my real name is Patti and while I'm new to trying to raise discus on my own, I have helped raise many for about 3 years when I was just a girl. I am a avid fish hobbyist, cichlids mainly.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by PorcelainChina59 View Post
    Hi my real name is Patti and while I'm new to trying to raise discus on my own, I have helped raise many for about 3 years when I was just a girl. I am a avid fish hobbyist, cichlids mainly.
    Welcome aboard Patti. Fell free to interact with the rest of us here .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Combo Nations

Hi, everyone I am new to SD, and discus i have been in the fish keeping hobby for couple years my wife seen some discus and wanted to get some we started looking around walked in to LFS and a local breeder had brought some in the fish room guy told me that the local breeder was his most trusted fish breeder that he buys fish from so i bought 2 they are around 3" and after buying the discus putting in to a 29 gallon tank that has gravel and lava rocks in the bottom , I've read where to grow discus out they should be in bare bottom tank so should i remove all the gravel from the tank or setup a new tank with bare bottom and move them to it i have an empty 55 gallon tank no water or anything in it what would be less stressful as i just bought the fish about 5 days ago and need todo this as easy for the fish as possible

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert Hinchliffe

I am new to keeping fish and therefore am new to discus. I sure picked a challenging fish to keep but I fell in love with them the first time I saw them.
    I have a 75 gal tank with 3-5” and 5” 2.5” discus

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast