AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Welcome to SimplyDiscus!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

Default Re: Welcome to SimplyDiscus!

Hello, somehow my email ended up under the username line when registering. Is there a way to change my username? I didn't see anything in settings. Thanks!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jordan

Hi my name is Jordan. just started with discus about a year ago. Best decision ever made

Welcome to Simply, Jordan. I read your first post about your bad experience when you first got Discus. I'm also sorry that you didn't find Simply first. But don't worry over your mistake. I know it was the fact that you didn't have the knowledge of what was up in the Discus world. You have found the place to get advice from those of us who have kept and bred Discus for years. Have fun and read around. You have found the best place to learn.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jordan

Thank you. Just figured I'd try and help others stay away from using discus.com

Registered Member

Hi.

I just have 5 Danios in a 10g . Got curious about the Anoxic filtration system that got me here.

Don't be sorry for not having Discus. We're glad to have you regardless. Hope you enjoyed the read about Anoxic filtration and that it helped you out. Actually, there's no telling what questions you might find the answers to here.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Talking Re: Welcome to SimplyDiscus!

Hi all, I'm clearly new to this but I am wanting to get into breeding discus, we love them and have years of experience with fishkeeping and breeding, just not discus. We live in Southern Indiana (US), and I'm excited that this forum even exists!!! That being said I'm looking for a proven pair right now!!

Welcome, Kay. Take a look at our sponsors for pairs, but read around first. Discus often produce hundreds of fry which take a whole lot of grow out space.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Welcome to the forum Dreykon!! That's what we're here for, and to answer any questions you may have, as well as listen to any input you may provide!

Registered Member

I just want to thank you all for the great job you have done and want to contribute with my part. Feel really lucky to land here.

What a lovely thing to hear first thing in the morning. We're lucky to have you here and look forward to hearing about your Discus adventures.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Hi, very long time fish 'everything' hobbyist. I dare say I have done it all!
    But now is a moment of truth-- after 50 years in the marine hobby and having had many Marine tanks and now just two, I'm thinking of saying goodbye to marines and hello to the ultimate discus aquarium ( in my definition and within my realities).

I currently have a 440 gallon marine aquarium - just fish in this one. It is 8FtX3ftX30" tall. It is serviced by two sumps totaling around 180 gallons so the whole system is around 600 gallons.
    I've loved the marine tanks but recently lost two prize specimens (an Emp and a French angel) that were over 18 years old, after a brief poor failure. The other fish are in their teens and younger. The occasional guilt I feel about taking fish from the reef and housing them in a 'tiny' aquarium for their life time kinda haunted me now and then. Particularly when I look to stock up. And if you think fitting in new discus in an existing school is hard- try slipping in big boy marine angels and tangs and triggers in an established population- blood on the walls!
    So I put it to some experts here- would you pull the trigger and build the ultimate discus aquarium or would you say stay with marines? I have tried to approach this from moral grounds, expense, new challenges etc and can't seem to come to a decision.
    Also would you keep the sumps or go to big ehiem canisters? Thanks in advance for the input and opinions. Best, JR

Real Name
    Tom

First thing will be cleaning the tank and sumps of the salt residue. Lot of work for a 440g tank. Next discus can be heartbreaking. Please read as many threads here as you can. My advice would be to start smaller. As in a smaller tank. 75,90 or. 125g. Just get your feet wet to see if you’re up for the challenge. Marine and discus are apples and oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR61 View Post
    Hi, very long time fish 'everything' hobbyist. I dare say I have done it all!
    But now is a moment of truth-- after 50 years in the marine hobby and having had many Marine tanks and now just two, I'm thinking of saying goodbye to marines and hello to the ultimate discus aquarium ( in my definition and within my realities).

I currently have a 440 gallon marine aquarium - just fish in this one. It is 8FtX3ftX30" tall. It is serviced by two sumps totaling around 180 gallons so the whole system is around 600 gallons.
    I've loved the marine tanks but recently lost two prize specimens (an Emp and a French angel) that were over 18 years old, after a brief poor failure. The other fish are in their teens and younger. The occasional guilt I feel about taking fish from the reef and housing them in a 'tiny' aquarium for their life time kinda haunted me now and then. Particularly when I look to stock up. And if you think fitting in new discus in an existing school is hard- try slipping in big boy marine angels and tangs and triggers in an established population- blood on the walls!
    So I put it to some experts here- would you pull the trigger and build the ultimate discus aquarium or would you say stay with marines? I have tried to approach this from moral grounds, expense, new challenges etc and can't seem to come to a decision.
    Also would you keep the sumps or go to big ehiem canisters? Thanks in advance for the input and opinions. Best, JR
    Hi JR, That would make one seriously nice Discus Tank! Im jealous!

Not to answer your question with a question but to better help /advise you. Back in August You posted a few posts about your 167 gal tank with 13 discus in it... How did you make out with those discus in that tank? Did you run into any issues? Or learn enough about the discus that you can significantly upsize the system you had?
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345