AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Breeding discus

Registered Member

Default Breeding discus

One day I would like to try my hand at breeding discus . I got my first 6 discus at about a 1” or 1 1/2 “ size and love raising them and watching them grow . My question is for the money u put in to breeding them and what not will u get it back ? Am not really worried about making money from it I just think I would enjoy doing it more as another hobbie .

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Breeding discus

No, you won't make your money back. Water, heat, food, culling, ...You need to do it because you like to do it, and maybe you raise some nice fish. I think you'd have to have high volume, several pairs breeding consistently, with a steadysales source, to may be break even. Not what the hobbyist is usually in for. That said, I do it for the reasons I mentioned.

Registered Member

Yea I want to do it more to have fun with it . I want to make a small breeding rack to try it out

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

K, Steve is right a lot of work for no profit. I built a 12 tank 30 gallon each breeder setup with a sump that I could isolate each tank so the little ones would not go down the drain.
    Now you need a heater for each tank more expense. I even plumbed the make up water to change the sump without disturbing the separate tanks .
    If you would like ideas on a build I could gladly send some pictures it has been shut down a while though.
    Tom.

Real Name
    Kevin

I have 6 breeding tanks in my garage that are for breeding pairs and grow outs. By the time you add up food, electric, water, and maintenance, the costs will outweigh the profits. I breed strictly for my enjoyment because I'm always fascinated in the process.