AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Gearing up for a return to discus

Default Gearing up for a return to discus

Hello again Simply community,

It's been about 5 years since my activity here and in the aquarium hobby in general. Since that time, I've moved from the Chicagoland area to Dallas, got my first home, a few dogs and a new career.....all the while, I have been plotting my return to this hobby.

As of last week, we started working on getting the fishroom operational, and slowing acquiring all of the necessities. Rather than jumping into things without a plan (like the younger me would have done), I am going to make sure I have everything setup ergonomically and economically from the start. We started painting yesterday, next is floors, water storage closet, pump system, generator/battery backup, meds, etc. I was able to pick up 2x 75gallon tanks from Petco for 50% off ($75 per) and a couple 20g at the dollar per gallon sale for a QT and hospital tank.

I hope to have everything up and running by the end of May, and possibly get my homestead back for pics and updates.

As far as stock goes, I'm leaning towards growing out a pretty large batch (between 15-30 juvies) of Forrest Giant Blues, Piwowarski Red Turks (Although they seem near impossible to get a hold of), or a group of Stendker German Wonders, Turqs, and Scribbles.

Cheers!
    Mike
    Mike

Real Name
    Ralph

Default Re: Gearing up for a return to discus

Welcome back Mike.
    A plan is a great start and looks like your on top of your game. Grow-outs are challenging to start but rewarding in the end.
    Best of luck with whatever Discus strains you intend to get but know that all mentioned above are top notch choices.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Filip

Welcome back to the hobby Mike .

I look forward to see photos and infos about your tank and discus .

You have already done a great selection and choice about strains and breeders so you just can't go wrong with whatever you choose from them .
    Good luck and keep us updated .

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Mike, nice to see you back. Your homestead will be available when you are ready.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Thanks Everyone!
    Mike

Well...after about 6 weeks of turning my only guest bedroom into a fish-room. I have finally placed my first discus order in 5 years, they are to arrive at my place on Tuesday the 19th. I almost forgot what this anticipation and excitement felt like, there's nothing like it for a fish nerd.
    Mike

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

Awesome Mike! I hope that everything goes lovely. Be sure to post pics!