AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Tobi’s contest thread -> 650 gallon build

Real Name
    Tobi

Default Re: Tobi’s contest thread -> 650 gallon build

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Wow! I think that’s also my favorite, but I admit I’m fickle. Definitely a prize fish.
    Patty
    Haha, same here, too many nice ones to choose from.

Anyway, Aquadecor finished the background for this tank, should get shipped soon.

2D2E4CEA-3E07-4F91-B221-F5E802179D34.jpg

91D28F4A-C018-4CF0-8652-68BC3C00415B.jpeg
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Tobi

Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Tobi

Another one of my “special” ones from the older stock. Got lucky with this one, too.
    BC19BC7E-6404-4F8A-9DFF-40FBC6646728.jpg

Can’t wait to finally mix all the blues and reds together in the new setup.
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Tobi

Been a while, unfortunately nothing new to report, we’re Still letting the silicone cure until tomorrow, a whole 2 weeks to be safe. Hopefully we can test again in a few days and start getting serious after that. I estimate the background to arrive some time around the 30th, and then we’ll get onto the home stretch. The longer it takes the more cramped the fish look in holding (they’re not, just my perception), but I hope to be able to move them into the new tank within the next 3 weeks. Will be using all their cycled media in the filters, so no waiting on that front at least. I’ll get some pics to keep this halfway interesting for anyone following.
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Tobi

Progress.
    Cabined has been delivered. Need some touch ups here and there, but looks solid.

Tank is filled and hopefully nothing nasty comes up in the next few days. It’s virtually impossible to get everything on camera, as the room is too small. I tried to do a size comparison picture with a fully grown, 6’3 240lbs Tobi, but it’s not working, will have to wait until the tank is on the cabinet.

CA95FF4B-9567-41DF-BFAA-436EAC93430A.jpg
    26CA8D43-C4C4-45A2-AF47-670C65D3D786.jpg
    F13F4FDF-5981-47E2-96F1-4CC3C241E3D3.jpg
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Wow, that is a huge tank! How long did it take to fill with 2 hoses? Which room is it going into when all finished? I will keep my eyes on this thread to see how it goes. Thanks for the pics!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

WOW...what a beast that tank is Tobi. It will be amazing once setup. How it is lifted off the floor?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Frank

I have loved the progress! Love the tank. However, as a book lover -- the shelving is amazing.

What a beast of a tank that is ! I can't wait to see fish swimming in that massive space. Wilds deserve that space

Real Name
    Brian

I've been trying to catch up on all these contest posts. So far, I really enjoy watching your progression with this build!

Real Name
    Patty

Tobi, this is such a huge undertaking, but you are so cool and calm throughout this process. How long have you been keeping discus? Wilds? I have a hundred other questions, but at the risk of being nosy, I’ll just ask those 2 now. This is an amazing and exciting thread to say the least. Where did you acquire your knowledge on this hobby?
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

Quote Originally Posted by Swedgin View Post
    I tried to do a size comparison picture with a fully grown, 6’3 240lbs Tobi, but it’s not working, will have to wait until the tank is on the cabinet.
    AWESOME!, no sign of stunting at all.
    Must have been kept in pristine condition I presume!

Joking aside, my dream tank would look exactly like this!
    Water change is not just a chore, it's my life now...

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    Wow, that is a huge tank! How long did it take to fill with 2 hoses? Which room is it going into when all finished? I will keep my eyes on this thread to see how it goes. Thanks for the pics!
    Barb
    Hi Barb,

it will stay in the room it's currently in, just need to get it on the cabinet. Cabinet is already in the right spot, bit of tweaking a few inches but that's it. We'll move the book cases further up, so the last one doesn't get hidden behind the tank

It filled up fairly quickly. 30 mins maybe. this was just tap water, from 2 independent supply pumps
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    WOW...what a beast that tank is Tobi. It will be amazing once setup. How it is lifted off the floor?
    Pat
    Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    I have loved the progress! Love the tank. However, as a book lover -- the shelving is amazing.
    Yes thanks, we love them, too. If I got this right the fronts are made out of old Indian door frames. When we got here 13 years ago the shops were full of these, but these days you can hardly find any, the furniture style here has changed dramatically, much more modern.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjay21 View Post
    What a beast of a tank that is ! I can't wait to see fish swimming in that massive space. Wilds deserve that space
    100% with you Sanjay. Proper work will start this week end, hopefully by next weekend it should be ready for the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I've been trying to catch up on all these contest posts. So far, I really enjoy watching your progression with this build!
    Thanks Brian, there's quite a few great threads in the contest, I hope people keep them going till the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Tobi, this is such a huge undertaking, but you are so cool and calm throughout this process. How long have you been keeping discus? Wilds? I have a hundred other questions, but at the risk of being nosy, I’ll just ask those 2 now. This is an amazing and exciting thread to say the least. Where did you acquire your knowledge on this hobby?
    Patty
    Fire away Patty, I don't mind any questions at all. After all that's what the forum is about.

Honestly I'm not that cool and calm at all, I just try to contain myself on the forum. My wife's ears are bleeding from my constant fish talk. I literally warn her by now when I'm about to start so she can brace herself and cancel the next few hours in her schedule. She's the luckiest woman alive

I've been keeping discus on and off for 20 years, so started at 16. At 18 I moved abroad and didn't have a chance to set something up until I moved back to Germany. We had a discus tank then, which we closed down when we moved out here.

Then I tried to start a tank back up (we brought 2 190gal with us from Ger when we moved), but it was impossible to find halfway decent discus. So I stuck to oscars, as I m a huge SA cichlid fan, not just discus.

The wilds came beginning of last year, by sheer luck the local pet shop imported their first direct shipment from Brazil, which contained 12 green and 12 heckels. They arrived in a horrible state and I didn't think many would make it. So after a week of intensive treatments they had 6 greens and 8 heckels left and I bought them all. A few months later they got more in, blues and greens, and all my stock had been made up from those 2 imports until I got my own shipment a few weeks ago.

My knowledge? I've said this before somewhere I think, but whatever I know comes from either trial and error, making things up as I go along, and READING as much as I can. I can hand on heart honestly say that if it had not been for Simply I likely would not have dared take on wilds at all. Also Heiko Blehers books are invaluable in my opinion, wether you like him or not, but the knowledge he has compiled in his books and magazines is amazing. I highly recommend his literature.

Quote Originally Posted by snxtif View Post
    AWESOME!, no sign of stunting at all.
    Must have been kept in pristine condition I presume!

Joking aside, my dream tank would look exactly like this!
    Bit of an iffy start but caught up eventually, once the growout diet was changed from vegetables to pizza.

Thanks though, I just hope it all works out and it will be my actual dream tank as planned
    Last edited by Swedgin; 07-25-2018 at 07:35 AM.
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Pat
    Sorry Pat,

missed to answer this. We’re doing it in an hour. There’s 14 of us. We’ll try to get it off the floor onto 4x4s and then with belts a bit further up. Then we’ll see....

Picture of finished placing, broken backs or broken tank to come soon...
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Tobi

We did it. The most difficult part was actually not the lifting, but getting the rubber mat into place. Will post more latr, but the major work has been done, now the fun begins...

04FEFDB5-C7F8-447A-967D-A76984031EFF.jpg
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast