AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Tobi’s contest thread -> 650 gallon build

Default Re: Tobi’s contest thread -> 650 gallon build

Quote Originally Posted by Swedgin View Post
    Thanks. True biotope would be nice, but species wise over here I take what I can get. And I got greedy with the plecos. Neither of my 3 groups qualify for B1 or even B2 due to the dithers, but I don’t mind.

The humic acid concentrate is made from TeraVita’s 90% humic acid powder

Attachment 117900

The fulvic acid concentrate is made from a 90% powder as well, sold by customhydronutrients.com

Attachment 117899

I use these instead of the ready made aquarium varieties due to cost. With my water volume combined it would cost me an arm and a leg to keep the tanks saturated with the commercial stuff. So this is the next best thing.

The humic clouds the water for a few days, the fulvic barely has a visual impact. I have been reading up on both compounds a lot recently, there’s a bit of controversy. Some say humic is indispensable to keep wild discus successfully, others say humic is useless as it does not dissolve properly. Fulvic as a stand-alone seems fairly new. Solubility is better, and from what I know SO FAR, it can replace the humic compounds 100%.
    It’s virtually impossible to find hard data on what works best, so I am experimenting quite a bit.
    Subjectively both have an equally positive impact on the fish. Their colors are more vibrant and they are more active when I use either these 2 or the alder/almond combo. It seems that as long as there are either of those substances in the water, it doesn’t matter which.
    But I’m still learning about it and can’t give any qualified facts. What is fsct is that shortly after I started adding the humic concentrate to the greens tank, they started spawning, which they have never done before.
    I have been using Pat's Roobios tea and have been pleased with the results but I'm going to give I'll give your humic concentrate a try. Thanks for the info.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Do either of them (being fulvic anf huminic acids) change your water parameters like pH, hardness, conductivity?

Real Name
    Tobi

Not in the slightest. The concentration is so minimal it does not have an impact. The powder itself is actually slightly alkaline.
    I just worked out the concentration I’m using: it’s 0.002 grams/liter (.2 for 100, 2 grams per 1000 liters). And that is my absolute max dose, otherwise I don’t see any fish, just brown on brown
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Kind of what I was reading about them, particularly when they are sold in liquid form they can be in a distinctly alcaline solution (otherwise they themselves to precipitate into solids), fulvic acid should stay more soluble but humic tends to solidify as the pH goes down. I might start using some in my planted tanks to see if it helps the greenery

Real Name
    Tobi
    Last edited by Swedgin; 09-09-2018 at 12:46 PM.
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Tobi, what do you think of this stuff? https://www.amazon.com/Pound-Organic...+humate+powder I found it an outrage that shipping on a 1 lb. of humic from Organic Approach was twice the cost of the 1 lb. bag of the product. I'm all for spending money on my fish but getting screwed on shipping rubs me the wrong way
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Tobi, what do you think of this stuff? https://www.amazon.com/Pound-Organic...+humate+powder I found it an outrage that shipping on a 1 lb. of humic from Organic Approach was twice the cost of the 1 lb. bag of the product. I'm all for spending money on my fish but getting screwed on shipping rubs me the wrong way
    Oh you’d have a stroke living in the Middle East having stuff shipped. I think the shipping on the 4lb fulvic was 5 times what the actual bucket cost. Still cheaper than any alternative for me though.

Not sure about the stuff you linked, seems to be 80%, but no idea how much “worse” that actually makes it.

But these guys ship the same I’m using for free:

http://www.rootnaturally.com/store/
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Tobi

So to summarize as per Al’s and Pat’s instructions:

A lot of water

A lot of work

A lot of fun

A lot more to do

A LOT of great threads in this contest, thank you to those who started with us and a big thank you to those who finished with us as well. Well done all, great to see what everyone was and is up to.

Oh, and purple roots rock
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Like I said, I don't mind throwing money at my fish. It's just that paying an outrageous amount for shipping was an affront.

I just bought a lb from the place you linked. Thanks.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

A very spectacular build, and an amazing project. Many of us would love to own a tank of that calibur. I for one would have to reinforce my floors for starters since my house is built on stumps. That tank would have to weigh in at over 3 tonnes? I see your floor is tiled and i presume you're on a solid concrete slab. Nice work documenting it all...Something i need to come back too and read thoroughly.
    I'm sure you enjoy sitting in front of it with your favorite beverage....and so you should.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Like I said, I don't mind throwing money at my fish. It's just that paying an outrageous amount for shipping was an affront.

I just bought a lb from the place you linked. Thanks.
    Cool. I’m interested to see what you think of it. I’d probably go easy on the first dosages, otherwise the water might end up darker than you like.

And I suggest you mix this outside, the powder and concentrate stain wood and clothes like hell. I did first attempt to make a 10% solution, but I added too much powder at once and it clumped so I had to dilute down to 5%. In the end I think the 5% is easier to dose, especially in smaller breeder tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    A very spectacular build, and an amazing project. Many of us would love to own a tank of that calibur. I for one would have to reinforce my floors for starters since my house is built on stumps. That tank would have to weigh in at over 3 tonnes? I see your floor is tiled and i presume you're on a solid concrete slab. Nice work documenting it all...Something i need to come back too and read thoroughly.
    I'm sure you enjoy sitting in front of it with your favorite beverage....and so you should.
    Thanks Joe, I enjoyed your thread as well.

The tank is on the second floor of an 1800’s Victorian era house. Few creaks every now and then, but so far it holds*. I’d estimate the total weght around 3.5-3.7 tonnes, the glas tank alone is north of 500 kg.

Yes indeed, I spend a lot of time in front of it. It’s especially satisfying to see that all 26 fish are doing well. I had a few that refused to eat for a while (you can see a few in the video that are not in the condition I’d like them to be, but they are very peculiar with which food they accept), but upping the temperature for a few days and feeding live food brought them around. Now they are foraging all day and it’s an indescribable joy to watch them show some natural behavior, pecking at stuff, sifting the sand and chasing each other.

*weak attempt at humor, the whole house is on concrete, only one floor, no basement
    Last edited by Swedgin; 09-14-2018 at 02:17 AM.
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Registered Member

Wow!! I just spent the last 2 hours reading this thread!
    Stunning tank... Like really just stunning! Wow... The acid part was a very interesting read as well! Great job

Registered Member

Just came back to the forum after a few years away from discus. Fantastic read all through with great pictures.
    As for the fish.......WOW!
    I've just ordered a tank that is going to be stocked with wild discus though sadly it won't come close to yours!
    Thanks for sharing 🤪

Real Name
    Frank

Been over a month. Hope everything is OK!

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by xKevinx View Post
    Wow!! I just spent the last 2 hours reading this thread!
    Stunning tank... Like really just stunning! Wow... The acid part was a very interesting read as well! Great job
    Hi Kevin, glad you enjoyed it!

Quote Originally Posted by streety View Post
    Just came back to the forum after a few years away from discus. Fantastic read all through with great pictures.
    As for the fish.......WOW!
    I've just ordered a tank that is going to be stocked with wild discus though sadly it won't come close to yours!
    Thanks for sharing ��
    Hi, welcome back, glad to have you. Thanks for the kind words. I'm sure your tank will be just as good. Remember, size isn't everything. There are plenty sub 150 gal wild tanks around that will take your breath away. Have a look in the Wild discus sub forum, some incredible stuff in there

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Been over a month. Hope everything is OK!
    Hi Frank, all good, thank you. Been traveling a bit, so haven't updated.

Any future updates on this will happen in the thread in my homestead (link in my signature), as Pat was kind enough to merge both "blue discus threads" into one to keep the continuity going.
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast