Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Tobi

Default Re: Tobi’s contest thread -> 650 gallon build

Just got this during feeding. The other Nhamunda Red. They’re starting to like the Blackworms, so I can stop feeding those candy apple bloodworms. First feed of the day the Blackworms are enriched with some fish vitamins.

572EEE68-0022-430F-A2F9-F253341281C1.jpg
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Patty

Oooh la la! I keep coming back to see more of these. Are you going to deworm and treat them once they’ve recovered from the trip?
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Oooh la la! I keep coming back to see more of these. Are you going to deworm and treat them once they’ve recovered from the trip?
    Only when I see something wrong with them. They have been treated more than enough in the previous facilities, first in Brazil and then in Germany. Flukes, Flagellates and worms have been taken care of, anything else comes in the future I’ll have to deal with it then
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Patty

Thanks. I was just wondering if it’s the same here. I’m not sure, maybe it depends on the seller, but I think people in US deworm and treat for those nasties. Great then, we’ll get to see them in the big tank sooner.

Real Name
    Tobi

Well on this platform I can admit that I’m looking at their poop very carefully. Try bringing that up in a normal conversation. So far all looks good, color and consistency just the way we like it, and breathing properly with both sides.

Unfortunately I don’t think it would have had an impact time wise. They just finished gluing yesterday. They said they’re coming on Thursday to clean the silicone up and leak test it, then Saturday the cabinet is due. We’ll see.

So by Sunday if everything goes well I should be able to start playing around with the plumbing, but can’t fix anything properly as I have to wait for the background to get here. Earliest that gets here is end of July, which is me being optimistic. They said they should finish production on the 11th, then 2-3 weeks shipping. Apparently it’s too big and heavy to get it couriered, unless I want to spend a fortune on shipping alone. Then I’d rather wait.

My hands are basically tied at the moment, but that at least gives me the chance to look after the new imports even more extensively than I would otherwise. Sitting in front of them for literally hours, but always have to wait till it gets dark outside to take some pictures.
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Tobi

Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Tobi

Meet Blondie (bright yellow eyes depending on mood), looking good tonight.

FE723E3E-3AE6-46EF-917E-85E42CC03A46.jpg
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Patty

That’s a good name. She’s a beauty! I hope all goes well with the test leak and cabinet. I’m getting excited to see it. I can’t imagine your own excitement (and worry). These fish are a great distraction though.
    Patty

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    That’s a good name. She’s a beauty! I hope all goes well with the test leak and cabinet. I’m getting excited to see it. I can’t imagine your own excitement (and worry). These fish are a great distraction though.
    Patty
    If the leak test goes well we’re halfway there. Not much that can go wrong after that, unless we drop the tank whilst trying to get it on the cabinet.

My wife flew to Germany for the weekend, and as soon as I knew I bombarded her with online orders to bring back. Liquids are a pain to have shipped due to cost and leakage potential. So I stocked up on some things, mostly minerals, vitamins, bit of food and some other health boosters. I think most of these are pretty much “endemic” to Germany or Europe. Got some Catappa bark tubes as well, using them as pleco caves. They’ve got a great natural look.

All of these, except the minerals of course, are added to the food, so the supply should last a good while.

8E517796-219E-4850-B7D3-E4D521A7FDF0.jpg
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Tobi

This is what they look like with some daylight in the room. More reflection, but also better colors.

456E702D-4F31-4929-AD4D-FDB916705C2F.jpg

If you look at the bottom right, by the air stone, you can see blondie’s psycho yellow eye.

The tube light in the tank is just a cheap generic one from the hardware store, just wanted light in there, didn’t care about color temperature etc just for a holding tank.

And also, we have reached the hand feeding stage. Thank you, freeze dried Blackworms...
    Last edited by Swedgin; 07-04-2018 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Pointing out blondie’s eye
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Thomas

I love your tanks and your fish!
    If possible, I'd be interested in knowing how you prepare your food with all these ingredients and if there's a specific reason for each of them ;)

:)

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by thomaswal View Post
    I love your tanks and your fish!
    If possible, I'd be interested in knowing how you prepare your food with all these ingredients and if there's a specific reason for each of them

Thank you Thomas ��

Out of the supplements shown I have so far only been using the Aquakraut and the JBL vitamins. The reason I started using these 2 was that the diet I was feeding at the time basically only consisted of FDBW.
    Once they were hooked it was almost impossible to get them to eat pellets, flakes and even frozen foods. So to avoid deficiencies I started adding those.
    The Aquakraut is a mixture of a load of natural herbs with different synergistic properties, I’ll pop the German text into a translator in a bit to show what’s in it as I don’t know half the English names for most of the plants.
    I use it once a day usually on the second or third feed, letting whatever food I use at the time pickle in it for 10 mins. Subjectively it has helped the fish accepting non blackworm foods, especially granules.
    The vitamins go on the first feed daily, just a couple drops on the blackworm cubes, and as soon as it’s soaked up they go in the tank.

The other stuff I bought is also new to me, but all can be used as food additives as well as into the water. Same goes for the vitamins and kraut, but with the water volume in my tanks it wouldn’t make sense economically.

The small orange bottle is Preis V-Power, less of a vitamin supplement but contains omega 3, ginger, propolis, gingko, ginseng and garlic.

Another one new to me is the lacto vital which contains several grain extracts, trace elements and vitamins and is supposed to aid in digestion.

The main reason for putting it on the food rather than in the water though is the fact that wild discus in their natural habitats get virtually all their macro and micro nutrients through their food and very little if any at all through the water, which has basically no or little solids dissolved.

However I am not planning to use every product every day, too much is probably just as bad as too little. they have started taking the granules better now so the lobsided nutrition is coming to an end and since I’m mixing about 10 different types of granules they will be able to get more out of those than just plain blackworms.
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Tobi

Another pic, just because

Love his pearl spots

EE46CA76-89D1-4113-883E-A6837219F853.jpg
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Tobi

Here’s the translation for the Aquakraut, too much to type, used google translate, so some funny grammar in there probably

Aqua Herb

A natural care product for ornamental fish, suitable for freshwater aquariums and ponds

1. ingredients

Aqua-herb consists of specially selected and gently won essences of herbs, leaves and fruits (including almond leaves, yarrow, marigold, ginkgo, garlic, aloe vera, raspberry leaves, basil, lady's mantle, St. John's wort, dandelion, oranges, onions, rose hips, hawthorn, Parsley, stinging nettle leaves, walnut leaves, lemon balm leaves, grapevine, chamomile flowers, plantain, elderberry, borage, lime blossom, peppermint, verbena, rosemary, thyme, hyssop, lovage), which are mixed and filtered in a special process

2nd mode of action

Some components of Aqua herb (e.g., garlic, aloe vera, or almond leaves) have been known for some time for their antibacterial and mucosal protective effects (see publications in the Discus Brief, DWR Publishing, or Discus Annuals).
    So we find the garlic now almost in every feed mixture, aloe vera in water conditioners and almond leaves in their purest form and as granules similar to teabags in antifungal agents.
    Other ingredients such as sheep, onions or dandelions are new in the aquarium area, but have been used successfully in other species for some time and help the immune system.
    So Lovage, yarrow, dandelion, rose hips, oranges, thyme, rosemary soothes digestive problems, inflammation of the digestive tract and stimulate the appetite. The role played by ingredients such as flavonoids and coumarins has long been known in human medicine and is also used successfully there. Just think of the "famous" chamomile tea!
    The anti-inflammatory effects of nettle leaves, marigolds or St. John's wort are also known, as are the beneficial effects of tannins in lady's mantle, walnut leaf or peppermint.
    All of these properties have been combined in aqua-weed and have a positive effect on the fish organism, the immune system and thus also on the well-being of the fish, irrespective of whether those components are consumed by water or food, with ingestion via the diet in most cases probably the more effective option.

3. Applications

Aqua-cabbage can be fed to the fish both via water and via food. The applications should be preventive weekly. For water application, add 20 ml per week to 100 liters of aquarium water. Are the animals very stressed z.b. by turf fights or brood care you give 30 ml to 100 liters, as well as you should choose this dosage in adolescent juveniles. When feeding through the diet, the impregnation of dry food, especially Tubifex FD and Artemia FD, but also of flake food, with two drops of Aqua herb twice a week has been proven. Fish that already show faeces in the gastrointestinal tract due to their white faeces should be treated daily with a processed feed until the faeces have a normal color and consistency again.
    Applications via the water and via the feed can be easily combined.
    In the test phase, which lasted over a year, it was shown that, in addition to the above-mentioned effects, there was another positive effect that was not explicitly intended: feed, which had previously been taken rather hesitantly or not at all, was eaten without problems after adding a few drops of aqua herb.
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast