ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: My Hobby, My Story Contest Thread

Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: My Hobby, My Story Contest Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Swedgin View Post
    That’s really nice, squeaky clean. I could learn a thing or 2 from you
    I’ve been following your thread and from what I’ve seen you are way ahead of the curve Tobi.
    If the discus are happy, I知 happy

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    I’ve been following your thread and from what I’ve seen you are way ahead of the curve Tobi.

Haha, I wish, Patty. The book You could fill with the things I don’t know.....

A lot of luck and the fact that wilds seem to be way less sensitive than domestics (had Asian and Stendkers at different times).
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Patty

Haha, I wish, Patty. The book You could fill with the things I don’t know.....

A lot of luck and the fact that wilds seem to be way less sensitive than domestics (had Asian and Stendkers at different times).
    Are you kidding? I thought the wilds were more difficult? People seem to start with domestics and graduate to wilds (like I someday hope to do). For now I have to live my dream through you. Ha ha
    My goal was to never have to deal with a sick discus, but that was an unrealistic goal. It is the reason I keep everything clean as it’s easier than dealing with a sick discus. If I had a nickel for every thread I’ve read on sickness, I’d have enough money for a 600 gal tank!
    Patty

Real Name
    Patty

This is the story of John Snow. He was an add on to my replacement fish after losing 2 fish during a shipping fiasco. He is my runt. Him and my lil cobalt blue were the low men in the pecking order arriving 1 month later. My 3rd replacement, a blue sapphire looked very similar to my blue diamond at the top of the pecking order so was safe as he was infatuated with her.
    During one of our daily wc’s my husband called him John Snow after the Game of Thrones character and it stuck. He was a Snow White discus, but not brave though one could hope he’d get there.
    He was chased and would hide but always came out to eat. The day leading up to moving my fish into their 125 gal was a busy time with large wc for both tanks. That’s when I noticed that John wasn’t eating and his belly was swollen. I’d never dealt with illness or bloat. My goal being to keep doing wc's so I’d never have to learn.
    Still, I ended up in the disease/ sickness section and suddenly remembered that the character in the series died and I thought we’d really picked the wrong name, but the great people here guided me through my first Epsom salt treatment and after a 6 nail biting days he passed the blockage. I’d never cured a fish before. He recovered slowly, but eventually began to eat and slowly but surely he grew stronger.
    In the TV show, the character was brought back to life and our little John Snow did the same. He was lonely spending 5-6 weeks by himself without his tankmates. He would hang out at the far end of his tank that was closet to the 125. The tanks aren’t close to each other but I do think he could see them at night with the tank light on.
    When I finally put him in his new home, he was so happy and immediately schooled with his tank mates and would stop to swim up to one, then swim and go up to another and look him in the face. He greeted them all. They must have missed him too because they didn’t pick on him after that. He’s not the King, but hey who knows what will happen next season. C2DFBA98-A57E-46CA-9484-A64F4EF790D0.jpg0E153562-8621-4F26-B131-2B61795F9310.jpg

Great story and excellent picture of him. You're a good writer, Patty.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Patty

Glad you liked his story Liz.
    I have Lucas Smith to thank for helping me through it all. He encouraged me to raise the temp, do daily wc’s, to give it time and NOT to throw in another treatment. When I was anxious to get him back to his tankmates, he was the voice of reason. He saved my fish and let me know I wasn’t alone. Thank you Lucas Smith! You are a true Prince among men. I can’t remember the name of the character who brought John Snow back to life and don’t want to jinx anyone else so I’ll stick with Prince! Ha ha
    Patty

Very nice thread Patty ! Tank looks as clean as it can get Fish looks awesome and healthy. I enjoyed going over this thread.

Real Name
    Tobi

This is the story of John Snow. He was an add on to my replacement fish after losing 2 fish during a shipping fiasco. He is my runt. Him and my lil cobalt blue were the low men in the pecking order arriving 1 month later. My 3rd replacement, a blue sapphire looked very similar to my blue diamond at the top of the pecking order so was safe as he was infatuated with her.
    During one of our daily wc’s my husband called him John Snow after the Game of Thrones character and it stuck. He was a Snow White discus, but not brave though one could hope he’d get there.
    He was chased and would hide but always came out to eat. The day leading up to moving my fish into their 125 gal was a busy time with large wc for both tanks. That’s when I noticed that John wasn’t eating and his belly was swollen. I’d never dealt with illness or bloat. My goal being to keep doing wc's so I’d never have to learn.
    Still, I ended up in the disease/ sickness section and suddenly remembered that the character in the series died and I thought we’d really picked the wrong name, but the great people here guided me through my first Epsom salt treatment and after a 6 nail biting days he passed the blockage. I’d never cured a fish before. He recovered slowly, but eventually began to eat and slowly but surely he grew stronger.
    In the TV show, the character was brought back to life and our little John Snow did the same. He was lonely spending 5-6 weeks by himself without his tankmates. He would hang out at the far end of his tank that was closet to the 125. The tanks aren’t close to each other but I do think he could see them at night with the tank light on.
    When I finally put him in his new home, he was so happy and immediately schooled with his tank mates and would stop to swim up to one, then swim and go up to another and look him in the face. He greeted them all. They must have missed him too because they didn’t pick on him after that. He’s not the King, but hey who knows what will happen next season
    Gotta love a runt. Had one, too. Held on for a year but in the end he didn’t make it. Glad to see yours thriving
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Registered Member

My wife's favorite Discus is my Runt Blue Cobalt. You cant help but Love them!

I don't believe that John Snow is a runt. He was just a small guy thrown in as an add on sent with replacement fish. As a little dude he got beat up and did poorly as a result. He looks good now.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Patty

He is little, but he’s strong and I do love my little guy. He’s fearless after going through hell and back. He’s far from show quality, but you gotta admire his moxie!
    Patty

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by sanjay21 View Post
    Very nice thread Patty ! Tank looks as clean as it can get Fish looks awesome and healthy. I enjoyed going over this thread.
    Thanks Sanjay,
    I think you are pretty fearless yourself with those fry. I was speechless when I saw that. I was trying to keep 1 fish alive and you’re being mom and dad to what? A hundred fry? Now that’s moxie!
    Patty

Thanks Sanjay,
    I think you are pretty fearless yourself with those fry. I was speechless when I saw that. I was trying to keep 1 fish alive and you’re being mom and dad to what? A hundred fry? Now that’s moxie!
    Patty
    Haha thanks Patty, its my first experience growing them right from eggs stage. I will keep the thread posted as they progress

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I don't believe that John Snow is a runt. He was just a small guy thrown in as an add on sent with replacement fish. As a little dude he got beat up and did poorly as a result. He looks good now.
    Meant no offense
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Patty

Meant no offense
    When I read about your guy dying, I felt my heart sink. Liz knows how I worry about my fish. I only asked her 100 million questions about the angels I got from her. I think she wrote that not to offend you as much as to stop me from worrying. Thank you Liz, it’s like you read my mind cause I saw your post and sighed. �� no worries.
    Patty

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast