AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Liz's Contest Thread

Default Re: Liz's Contest Thread

I have another 120 and some 100's that are filled with nice Angels. I shall make those tanks available to the Discus if needs be. (Don't ask how I will do this. You don't want to know.)

These fish aren't just ornery, they're bar brawling red neck 'orny ornery. The females are are as bad as the males. I've never seen such even when I tended bar in a redneck joint and we had the cops on speed dial.

I can just see me with one tank with one pair of Discus in a 120. Not what I was expecting but it would be cool if the pair took a spawn to free swimming in a 120. There's no way I'll move the dominant pair from the contest tank.
    Mama Bear

I interpret the rules differently, Patty. I will post threads about the other pairs, just not in this thread.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Geoff

Liz, if it’s not too obscene, I’d love to see the videos of the bar fights

I can't. I don't know how to work my phone well enough to take and post videos's. I guess it's time I figured out how.
    Mama Bear

I turn my back so that I can relax for a moment and take a deep breath and what do I see when I go back down to the fish room? My female bully Blue Scorpion has said a nice tight clutch of eggs and her chosen one is fertilizing them. I took pics and will go through them now and see if I got any decent ones.
    Mama Bear

This is the first pic I came across that is good enough for you to see what has happened to me. What goes around comes around. The dominant pair is doing their thing why one of the pairs they have been beating up is waiting their chance to chow down on the eggs. What goes around comes around.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

Wrong pic.
    Mama Bear

Here's Mrs. Fierce protecting her chosen one from the hoards while he does his does his job.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I interpret the rules differently, Patty. I will post threads about the other pairs, just not in this thread.
    As long as you follow the dominant pair in the contest thread. I thought you were disqualifying yourself altogether. Now that would be a shame!
    Not as big a shame as what you are planning to do to those angels. Aaaaahhhh Don’t tell me
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

The eggs are still there this afternoon. The other fish aren't hanging around like they were. They're fighting among themselves in the other 2/3 of the tank.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Patty

That’s great! I guess you’re playing this song now.
    Last edited by Swedgin; 09-18-2018 at 12:43 AM. Reason: vid embed
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

I added my little guy and although he's not that much smaller than the others a little means a lot when you're a fish and you are all muscle. He was starting to take a little abuse so I decided to add the big guy a bit early. He was officially due to go back to the big tank in the morning but I won't be around to keep an eye on them until tomorrow afternoon and he is cured...And that's when the big fight started.

I put him in the opposite side from the pair and he immediately swam to the cone where his ex-wife was guarding eggs with her new lover. They gave one another the loving rub on the side and her current lover got furious! He did his best to beat the big guy up but the big guy is larger and he was having a hard time. He was determined that this lady fish and the eggs were his. The few times the big guy was able to get close to the eggs he fanned them. I never saw him eat them.

The female has helped her new lover drive the old husband away twice. Mostly she keeps the other fish in their place. He has visited the cone on the opposite side but so far the only lady fish he wants is his ex. If she persists in sticking by her new guy I'm pretty sure MR. Big will give up and choose a different lady fish.
    Mama Bear

I could use a bit of advice. I don't know if I'm allowed to ask for advice on this thread or if I have to just go it alone. I see no rule against adding advice.

I'm not big on adding salt, but some of the fish in this tank have swollen lips from fighting and lip locking. I'm thinking of adding salt to this tank, just to act as to help the feel the fish feel better. I'm thinking of maybe 8 Tablespoons of salt in this 120 gallon tank. It's not a full dose but my feeling is that it will help the fish.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 06-20-2018 at 03:08 PM. Reason: duplicate
    Mama Bear

It certainly won't hurt, but I'm not sure 8 tbs do anything good either. 12 tbs (3/4 cup) is barely a weak tonic dose.

I know that Adam. I wanted to go light on the dose. I guess that 1 T per 10 gallons is the weak dose. I'll give them a hard look after WC a bit later and decide what to do. Clean water takes care of 'most all minor problems but these guy have been fighting a lot. Thanks for your advice.
    Mama Bear

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast