AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Liz's Contest Thread

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Liz's Contest Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    pH 7.2 after aging. kH 4.5. gH 0. I need batteries for my TDS meter but if I remember correctly it was around 100. Lots of people get spawns with numbers far worse than mine.

I haven't actually tested in ages because my water always tested the same and I never had problems with getting spawns with either RO or the tea until now. And now, it's just the Discus that I am having no luck with. My water comes from a deep aquifer so I don't see that it's likely it would change.
    Mine does too Liz but it does change seasonally. I would almost be tempted to add a wee bit of minerals to the water.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I'm of the opinion that fish get their minerals from their food rather than the water. After all, we don't adsorb water from the air. I used Joe's mix for a while but I don't want to hunt up the ingredients and their ratios. I can try some RO Right if you think it might help. I'm willing to give anything a try.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Pat

Liz, I am pretty sure tiny altum angel adsorb minerals in the water Liz. If I didn't add minerals their super long fins would break off at the tips. When I did add minerals their fins would grow normally.
    Pat

In that case I'll order some RO Right. Thanks for the info.
    Mama Bear

Number one pair is at it again. I won't give up as long as they keep trying.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

The usual result. It was not unexpected. The minerals that Pat suggested came in Monday. It only raises gH which is what I want to to since my kH of 4.5 is fine. Then I realized that I didn't have a gH test kit. I have an API one on order but it has not yet arrived.

I honestly do not believe that my 0 gH is the problem because in the 17 years I've been breeding Discus it never has been. But I'm willing to try anything.

I'm thinking of doing some pair swapping among the fish in the contest tank.
    Mama Bear

The number one pair is at it again. I've seen the outcome too many times. It will be the same this time. I'm determined to cross my existing fish with my fish from Chicago Discus. I'll hang in the contest for now, but ATM I feel like I was born under a bad sign.

Last edited by Swedgin; 09-18-2018 at 12:52 AM. Reason: vid
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Pat

Liz, have you tested your GH lately? Did your remin product arrive?
    Pat

The rim stuff arrived but my gH test has not. I don't believe that the gH is a problem but I'll try it as soon as I get the test.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Pat

The rim stuff arrived but my gH test has not. I don't believe that the gH is a problem but I'll try it as soon as I get the test.

But add a wee bit anyway....can't hurt right??
    Pat

Pat, I didn't add a wee bit because I don't know how concentrated it is and I had no way to check the gH. My test kit has still not arrived. It must have gotten lost in the netherworld. I just don't believe that the 0 gH is the problem but I'll order another dang test just to confirm my belief.

Yesterday afternoon I did a wife swap between the two pairs in the contest tank. None of them were happy with it. The male of my own breeding attacked his new lady. The female I introduced was one of the Ricky Lim fish. She's his aunt. The two Chicago Discus didn't do any attacking they just didn't connect. This afternoon, the male and female of both "pairs" are cozying up.

I hope to find out if the problem I'm having is due to my existing fish or the Chicago Discus fish. My money is that my problem is something with my existing fish.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

The number one pair is at it again. I've seen the outcome too many times. It will be the same this time. I'm determined to cross my existing fish with my fish from Chicago Discus. I'll hang in the contest for now, but ATM I feel like I was born under a bad sign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X72fXW5Cs3U
    Another great video Liz. Great how music can transcend a lot of the BS.

Real Name
    Steve

I haven't read every post, but I almost feel like it's time to put them all together in one tank for a while to work it out, maybe take a break.

I want to find out wherein the problem lies. If I toss them all together in one tank I won't find out. I want to understand more than I want success. When my water is good enough for another pair to be fertile while the and the others only produce non viable eggs.

I'd bet money that when the Chicago pair lay they will get wigglers and my other pair will not, but I don't know until I get wigglers see wigglers with my own eyes.

The whole thing is a mystery to me. I want to solve it. The answer is somewhere. I just need to find it.
    Mama Bear

Pat, I didn't add a wee bit because I don't know how concentrated it is and I had no way to check the gH. My test kit has still not arrived. It must have gotten lost in the netherworld. I just don't believe that the 0 gH is the problem but I'll order another dang test just to confirm my belief.

Yesterday afternoon I did a wife swap between the two pairs in the contest tank. None of them were happy with it. The male of my own breeding attacked his new lady. The female I introduced was one of the Ricky Lim fish. She's his aunt. The two Chicago Discus didn't do any attacking they just didn't connect. This afternoon, the male and female of both "pairs" are cozying up.

I hope to find out if the problem I'm having is due to my existing fish or the Chicago Discus fish. My money is that my problem is something with my existing fish.
    I knew those two were becoming fond of one another. Yesterday evening they spawned for the first time. I'll try to snap a pic later today. Looking forward to a fast end to my mystery.
    Mama Bear

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast