ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Liz's Contest Thread

Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: Liz's Contest Thread

I knew you would nip this in the bud. I wish I could recognize, diagnose and treat as quickly as you did. I’d still be reading threads. When this is over, they can get back to their “sexual healing” I’m sure you’ll be puttin some smooooth music on the stereo for them real soon.
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

I didn't take a pic yesterday because it was just same old same old. I did notice after WC yesterday evening that one of my existing male 9 bar fish and one of the Chicago Discus fish showing an interest in one another. This morning my big blue scorpion female who up to now had been the tank bully has taking a liking to the largest Chicago Discus female.

I wasn't planning on adding cones and tea to the tank until I put the fish in QT back in the tank, but once I saw this flirting going on I gave in and added both just now. Both those pairings would make me happy, especially the BS and Classic Blue Leopard pairing. If I see pecking at the cones after sun goes down I will take pics then.

The two fish that were feeling unwell are perfectly happy. My home bred spotted SS had his last treatment yesterday. I will put him into the contest Wed. evening after 2 days of swimming on the side WC with good clean water. The big male domestic RSG had his last treatment and will be added to the big tank Thursday.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    I knew you would nip this in the bud. I wish I could recognize, diagnose and treat as quickly as you did. I’d still be reading threads. When this is over, they can get back to their “sexual healing” I’m sure you’ll be puttin some smooooth music on the stereo for them real soon.
    Patty I for sure couldn't have done this when I was new. You're way ahead of what I was able to do when I was at your stage.

You can learn a whole lot by reading but after you have seen a problem in the past you become able to identify it quickly. I've said before that I've been through all kinds of rarely seen devastating diseases of Discus. The one good thing about going through hell is that I gained a great deal of knowledge that I wouldn't have gained otherwise.

Any normal person would have given up after having experienced Cryptobia and Discus Plague. I never totally gave up. Now I'm seeing the silver lining in those clouds. One thing for sure is that if I get success this time around I will believe that I have earned it.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 06-17-2018 at 10:23 AM. Reason: head works faster than typing fingers
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Liz, discus people are not normal LOL. More like
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Too true.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Patty

I am learning more everyday but Crytobia and Discus Plaque are 2 things I’d prefer to never know about. I wouldn’t be this far in my curve if not for you 2 gals and many others here. You’ve made me an overall better fish keeper.
    Pat was even took part when I found my quote. Ha ha I said I may have even found my quote, “If the discus are happy everybody’s happy” Pat replied, that I was definitely happy! And so it was...

This is a terrible pic but the best I could do. My big bull BS female is more interested in terrorizing the other pair wanting to spawn than in getting down to business with her own love interest. I'll try to do better tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

My big bully Blue Scorpion continues to terrorize all the other fish. She decided that she liked the cone in the middle. I figured that the middle cone would be left for the lowest pair on the totem pole. The Bully chose it so that she could attack fish that were considering cones on either end of the tank. She has taught her chosen male to do the same. This cannot go on. I shall remove the middle cone so at least the more submissive fishl can at least go to the other corner to escape her. If that doesn't work I'll remove her and her fella to a breeding tank of their own. She is an extremely good quality fish but if she keeps this up I will have no choice but to remove her and her partner from the contest tank.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 06-18-2018 at 03:57 PM.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    This is a terrible pic but the best I could do. My big bull BS female is more interested in terrorizing the other pair wanting to spawn than in getting down to business with her own love interest. I'll try to do better tomorrow.
    Are they Barb's 12 inch cones stacked up Liz?
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

One cone is one of Barbs tall cones. Her others are her cones stacked up. These are large Discus and when the Discus are big they prefer a tall cone.
    Mama Bear

I have kept and bred Discus for a long time but I have never before see the aggression that I am seeing now. I wanted to buy Discus that were close to breeding age but I never expected what I am seeing now!

My bully pair has chosen a cone in the right side corner of the tank. Another pair wants the cone on the left side. The poor two fish who are stuck in the middle without a cone still get beat up by the other pairs. No fish is getting so beat up that it is in trouble but one poor less forceful fish has bite marks on both of his sides, and there is still fighting going on. If I knew how to work my phone I would post a video but I only know how to post stills from my Nikon.

My friends at the LPS say that they will take 12 adult Angels that I will take to them tomorrow. That will open up 2 40 gallon cubes that I can devote to the 2 pairs of Discus. I still have 2 Discus in QT that I want to introduce into the contest tank later this week.

I'm afraid that my contest thread is not going according to plan by a long shot. I have no choice but to do what the fish demand. This is more about doing the right thing for the fish than winning a silly contest.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I'm afraid that my contest thread is not going according to plan by a long shot. I have no choice but to do what the fish demand.
    Haha Liz, how is this different than keeping Discus?

It's way different from any Discus keeping I've done in the past. These dang fish are warriors!
    Mama Bear

Well, you moved them from a 75 to a 120. Maybe they figured an even bigger tank was in the works if they kept being ornery.

Real Name
    Patty

I think following your story on your tank of fish is within contest rules. If this is the story and you have to separate them, well that’s the story and I’m interested in it.
    The way I understood the rules as far as one tank was that you couldn’t put a bunch of different tanks (meaning fish) in 1 thread. These are the original fish and I think you should be able to tell your hobby/story with them. That is the name of the contest after all.
    Probably some people here would like to have less competition, but I would remind them that they too will have things come up. We all do. That’s part of fish keeping-especially with discus. Can I get an Amen?
    Besides, I want to hear that song again! Baaaaaabyyyy
    Patty

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast