AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Liz's Contest Thread

Default Liz's Contest Thread

I was so hot for this contest I was sure I would be the first to enter. But I found out the hard way that I can't take pics during the day due to the glare from the window and the lights. The tank is a 75 and with just 4 fish it's hard to get them all in the frame without a cube of Al's black worms. Other than the black worms I'm feeding Al's Discus Gold, some hard pellets from a small scale fish food maker, and their favorite mosquito larvae and blood worms that I culture myself. The tank is void of everything except sponge filters and a couple of heaters. So far I'm just changing 30% of the water daily but once I add the other fish I will up that to 50%.

The fish are from Chicago Discus. The Discus are close to breeding age. I am seeing some sparing among the males already. I purchased them to breed with a couple of my existing fish which I will add tomorrow.

The first pic is of the entire group. The second is of the fish that I'm pretty sure is a female.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

Default Re: Liz's Contest Thread

Glad to see you entered Liz. You have some real nice stock from Josie and Miranda! Looking forward to what you do with them.

Good luck!
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Sure am glad you entered these guys in the contest Liz. I sure do want to see more of them...super nice fish.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Thank you, Pat.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

Beautiful discus

Thanks Gabriel.

I just went down to do WC and it two of the 4 Discus I was planning on adding tomorrow are spawning. The male has very low fertility and the female is old. They have tried several times in the past couple of months but never manage to get enough wigglers to bother raising. Still, sure as shootin' if I move tomorrow I'll miss the spawn where they finally enough wigglers to raise. I might as well leave them in their love nest until I see how this spawn turns out.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

Congrats on the spawn! I think youre right. I would leave the love birds where they are for now. Please let us know how its going with this pair. Im looking for another group of growouts to occupy my other tank.

I had watched them spawn several times before. The poor male was dark with slime and as the female made her runs he was very solicitous of her but he could hardly even get it down to make passes. He made a couple of very half hearted attempts. Afterward he lovingly fanned the eggs until most of them turned white and only a few hatched. I felt so sorry for him. This time he actually made many good passes.

My hopes aren't high but I do have hopes. This is the pair that produced my best ever home bred Discus.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Patty

I’m watching this thread! Really beautiful fish Liz. I’m excited for you. It would be nice if your old pair pulled it off, but I like your plan B if they don’t. I’m just hoping you don’t turn me into a breeder like you turned me into an angel lover. I could’ve cared less about angels until I saw those half blacks.

It takes a whole bunch of tank space to grow out fry. You'd have to devote a small bed room or at least a large walk in closet to fish tanks. And remember, you have to figure out a way to do WC safely and efficiently before you even start. Besides with your work schedule I don't see how you could make it work.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tobi

Wow these are stunning, very natural looking for a domestic strain. Really beautiful
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    It takes a whole bunch of tank space to grow out fry. You'd have to devote a small bed room or at least a large walk in closet to fish tanks. And remember, you have to figure out a way to do WC safely and efficiently before you even start. Besides with your work schedule I don't see how you could make it work.
    There’s no way I could make it work. If you do give me the breeding bug, it would be a future plan. I can barely keep up with the 3 tanks I have going now. The funny thing is my husband is the one who said it would be cool to breed them. He was never even a fish person.

If he wants you to breed so much have him build you a fish room.
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    If he wants you to breed so much have him build you a fish room.
    and assist with the work of breeding fish.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Patty

We accidentally bred juliochromis marlieri and neolamprolongus brichardi. When we tired of that we had an assortment of cichlids, 1 of each and ended up with a hybrid cross of brichardi/juliochromis. Long story short (not to hyjack your thread) I think my husband thought it would be like that. I do look forward to watching your adventure Liz.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast