ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Liz's Contest Thread

Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: Liz's Contest Thread

Weil those 2 seem quite smitten with each other!

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    Ah yes, breeding discus is not for the faint of heart. Good thing you have a strong heart!
    Barb
    I'm for sure not a sissy girl. Sometimes I question my intelligence by always coming back for more in face of all odds, but I'm not a giver upper.
    Mama Bear

Pics.

That big fish in the middle of the first pic is the Blue Scorpion I added to the tank. She sure 'nuf stirred things up. She is still trying to cause trouble. I don't know what her problem is but I don't think the other fish enjoy her intruding on their peaceful life.

I put in a low concentration of Roobios tea in a sock this morning. You will be able to see the brownish color to the water in the pics. I don't know if that's what gave these fish that sexual feeling or if it was the intruder or a combination of both, but suddenly I have 3 "pairs" who are enamored of one another. Right now I mostly care about my home bred Spotted Blue SS and his lady friend from Miranda and Josie.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

Forgive me. This is all about my fish but I know what is going on with them.
    Last edited by Swedgin; 09-18-2018 at 12:37 AM. Reason: video embedded
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

Omg! Lol that was awesome!

My existing male show fish ate the rest of his eggs this morning shortly after the lights came on, so I dumped him in with the contest fish. While 8 Discus is not to many for a 75 is is too many with big fish trying to pair up.

I hope that this doesn't disqualify me but I'm going to move them to a 120. It was quite a job finding room for all my Angels so I could empty the 120. First I moved all the adult Blue Silver Pearlscale Angel that were in a 100 to several smaller tanks. Next I moved all the Half Blacks from the 120 to the empty 100. I did wipe down on the newly emptied 120 and did a 100% WC. I added a couple more smaller heaters to the 120 (I'm low on heaters...need to buy more). Now I'm waiting for the temp to come close to 82 so I can move the Discus over. They will appreciate the extra elbow space. I'll move the Discus as soon as I can and if they settle in by this evening I'll post pics.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

Yeah low on heaters myself. I did a rookie move and ran my aged water container too low and burned up too heaters. So its off to the store I go to get more today, blah blah blah lol.

I've done the same thing more than once. If fact, that's why I need to buy more myself. I get mine from Jehmco.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

Love the video. Marvin was one of a kind. Still is great.

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Forgive me. This is all about my fish but I know what is going on with them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjlSiASsUIs
    Liz, you are too funny. I love Marvin Gaye but had never seen the video.
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

They are gorgeous Liz. I was very jealous when you first got the ones from Ryan. Some of the nicest discus I had seen in a long time. The ones you got from Chicago ain't too shabby either, lol.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Thanks Mr. Bugg. Those Ricky Lim fish 'bout make me pee my pants when I saw them. The more I looked at them the less I could live without them. I hope I can get what I'm looking for when I cross with the Chicago Discus fish.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    My existing male show fish ate the rest of his eggs this morning shortly after the lights came on, so I dumped him in with the contest fish. While 8 Discus is not to many for a 75 is is too many with big fish trying to pair up.

I hope that this doesn't disqualify me but I'm going to move them to a 120. It was quite a job finding room for all my Angels so I could empty the 120. First I moved all the adult Blue Silver Pearlscale Angel that were in a 100 to several smaller tanks. Next I moved all the Half Blacks from the 120 to the empty 100. I did wipe down on the newly emptied 120 and did a 100% WC. I added a couple more smaller heaters to the 120 (I'm low on heaters...need to buy more). Now I'm waiting for the temp to come close to 82 so I can move the Discus over. They will appreciate the extra elbow space. I'll move the Discus as soon as I can and if they settle in by this evening I'll post pics.
    Its not going to disqualify you. Its a logical move and fits with your goal of breeding this group.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

That's a relief. Thanks.
    Mama Bear

It's been 24 hrs since the move. They've all settled. A bit of flirtation is going on but no real hanky-panky. It throws things off when you move a bunch of fish that are on the verge of getting serious. If I'd thought of it I'd have added a couple gallons of that hormone fulled water from their last home but I didn't think of it. Here's a pic. That's my home bred fish dark and staring at the cone in the middle. His old lady friend hasn't joined him yet though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast