Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Liz's Contest Thread

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

Default Re: Liz's Contest Thread

Awesome group!

Thank you. I know that the fish are good and some are very good. That's not what I'm after. I want my existing fish to pair up with the new fish. It was happening when they were in the 75. This afternoon my existing fish are showing no interest in sex. The Chicago Discus 2 males and 2 female are showing a strong fondness for one another. That's not what I want.

I knew that I'd stir things up by moving the fish to a larger tank and I for sure did. I wasn't expecting to see pairings that I didn't want. I'll post a pic of what's going on in the tank this evening even if what is going on with them is not what I want to see going on.
    Mama Bear

I hope that this thread doesn't turn in to a cautionary tale about now one should not mix fish from different exporters with one's existing fish without proper QT. I can deal with the usual suspects. What I can't deal with is Discus Plague or Cryptobia. If I have a dread disease I an done with Discus forever.

I've been concerned about my home bred fish who is the smallest guy. He was dark and hanging by himself. This afternoon I saw that he had symptoms of what folks call "velvet". He is still eating well. People think that velvet is a fungus but it's really bacterial. I moved him to a 20 and am treating him with Nitrofurazone. Thank God I have been around long enough to know what to do.

All the rest of the fish appear to be doing well but I don't see the sexual behavior that I saw when they were in the 75. If the new fish were carrying something that was hidden that my existing fish had never seen it was time for me to see it.

My other, larger existing fish still appear to be fine but I am watching them carefully. What I don't see is that sexual behavior that I saw going on in the 75. I tried to take a pic of the contest tank but the sun is out and comes in through the window and produces a glare that ruins the pictures. I'll try again evening.

It would have easy for me to just quit posting to my contest thread after this problem presented itself, but I entered. I knew that I was taking a risk by mixing these fish without QTing them in a tank in the kitchen with sterile sponges, all separate WC equipment and nets. As long as I can fix my home bred fish and keep my existing fish healthy with huge WC I'll be happy. If they appear to be doing poorly I will treat them too. Like I said I can deal with the normal stuff. Having to do it is a downer when I least need to deal with a downer.

I asked for it and I got it.
    Mama Bear

I squeezed my sponges. Then I did a fish swimming on their sides WC. Then I felt the sides of the tank. They were too slimy so I did a wipe down, removed the breeding cones and put them in a Clorox solution. Then I did another swimming on their sides WC. Thank goodness I have huge water storage capacity. The fish look good but I know that I need to keep my eye pealed.

I don't have a large tank where I can treat a group of fish but I have empty 29's and 30's if I need to treat more fish. I hope not. I hope that I can take care of this with lots of good clean water.
    Mama Bear

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Hang in there Liz, you can do this. You have much experience and know just what to do. Best wishes to you and your fish. And remember "dilution is the solution". Remember that?
    Friend Barb
    Last edited by Disgirl; 06-14-2018 at 07:02 PM.

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Thanks Barb. My veterinarian who I learned so much form said that. His words were, "The solution to pollution is dilution." It is so true. Here's a pic of the contest tank after two swimming on their sides WC. They look good, don't they? I can do huge WCs every day, even twice a day if I need to.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Liz, sorry to hear you are having issues. Perhaps between mixing the fish and not sterilizing the 120 gave you a double whammy. Hopefully clean water will be the answer. Crossing body parts for you.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Thank you Pat. I watched the fish carefully and once they started talking to me I listened. I knew that I was doing the bad thing by mixing fish without proper QT. I think that I got what I deserved but not more than I deserve. I thank God that have been through hell with Discus in the past and know what to do when a problem presents itself. Thanks for crossing all your for me. I'll let you know when you can untangle yourself. It should be soon.

This is nobody's fault but my own. I'm pretty sure that I have a handle on it. Newbies who haven't been through hell with Discus like I have should take note. The newbies are the ones who do stupid stuff like I did and don't have a clue as to what to do when they are presented with "the usual suspects". They often don't see things until it's too late.

All will be well. I appreciate your concern.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I am a fish keper of 35 yrs but a novice with discus...to me they look great...you got this Liz
    Last edited by danotaylor; 06-15-2018 at 12:41 AM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hope all will be well soon Liz, it's really hard to walk lol.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Thanks folks. I moved another fish to a tank of his own and put him under medication this morning. My little dude is looking and acting great which gives me great encouragement.

I ordered some live California black worms from Dan earlier this week. I've always been a fan of live foods and my mosquito culture has about played out. The frogs have taken it over. I used to feed live black worms all the time but since FedEx Overnight has gotten so expensive I've done with out them for many years. I initially bought them as a treat for the contest fish. Now that I'm experiencing problems I'm glad I have them. None of the fish ever quit eating but it's good to know that I have something irresistible to give them.

I'll take a pic this evening but I must say that the 120 is looking pretty empty with just 6 fish and no cones in it. With luck I'll have everyone back together in the contest tank early next week.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Wow Liz! Just read through your thread. Lots of highs, and a few lows. A bit like a roller coaster ride and just as exciting. I'm sure you have taken all the positives from this and moved forward. Your discus are gorgeous by the way, and i know that with your experience they will receive the best of care.

Looking forward to further updates, and seeing your fish pair up and multiply.

Good luck with it all.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Wow Liz! Just read through your thread. Lots of highs, and a few lows. A bit like a roller coaster ride and just as exciting. I'm sure you have taken all the positives from this and moved forward. Your discus are gorgeous by the way, and i know that with your experience they will receive the best of care.

Looking forward to further updates, and seeing your fish pair up and multiply.

Good luck with it all.
    I took a big risk by mixing fish from different breeders with my own fish. I knew in advance that I was doing the bad thing. I did it with eyes wide open. I was ready for the worst but what I got was just the normal stuff that was easy for me to deal with. It's nobody's fault but my own. It's not like I didn't know proper QT procedures. I've said before in this thread that sometimes I question my intelligence. I would not advise anyone to do what I did.

Things are looking good. I have 2 fish under treatment and both appear cured. The course of treatment is only 3 days. I should soon be home free soon but I'll give them a couple days in their QT tanks before I put them back into the contest tank.

The rest of them are fine so far. If I'm not mistaken about the incubation period I shouldn't be seeing symptoms of problems after today. I am still keeping a close eye. Why 2 of my existing fish got sick and 2 did not is a mystery to me. Who knows what pathogens my existing fish had been exposed to before I bought them? Exporters get their fish from several different sources. The ones that didn't get sick may have been exposed in Asia or their immune systems may be stronger. My home bred guy was a sitting duck. He was never exposed to anything.

If I had followed proper QT procedure this would never have happened. It's not the fault of the folks I bought the new fish from. I'm not here to trash them. It can happen with fish from any importer. I am the only guilty party.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 06-15-2018 at 06:51 PM.
    Mama Bear

I promised another pic. Here it is. I just tossed the fish some of Dan's live Black worms. Most of the fish are eating them from the water column. One has found where they hit the tank floor and is chowing out there.
    Mama Bear

I have a bad habit of forgetting to post the pic. Please forgive me and blame it on my old age.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast