ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Geoff’s Contest Thread

Real Name
    Geoff

Default Re: Geoff’s Contest Thread

Thanks Gabriel!
    Here’s my sump. It’s a 20 gallon and I love it with my Discus, it’s actually the key to my success. It does a bunch of things for me, one it allows me to house a Hamburg Matten filter. I have three sheets of Poret foam that house the beneficial bacteria that filters my tank. I have my pump which is a ehiem that sends water to the main tank. I’ve put a drain from that tank and plumbed to the next one which is the 30 gallon that has the silver pigeons in it and then I have a drain that returns back to the sump. The way the drains are drilled is at the top so if there’s a power outage I will only lose one inch of water from each tank which goes directly into the sump and so no flooding. Another thing that I have down there is my UV sterilizer which I run my water through on the way up to the top. I change water with a drip system. I have hot and cold water lines running into a carbon filter that slowly drips into the pump side. where return water comes into the sump I have an overflow that goes down into my basement out to the garden. basically one drip of water raises the water level of the sump and one drip of water goes out into the garden, this is constantly changing my water. The last thing you can see that I have here is an algae scrubber and that is basically another Eheim pump that runs water up over a piece of plastic mesh with those two hydroponic lights on either side. this grows algae that removes nutrients from the water and I clean the algae off but once every two weeks. Hope you like it!0B2FEE20-2D2E-40FE-9343-4F36682E9DEB.jpg

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

very interesting sump set up indeed...can you tell me approx what % of water is changed each day/week using the "drip system" you have set up? Have you specifically dialed in your water change rate to target a certain TDS or nitrate level? Thnaks for sharing mate. Very cool!

Silver Pigeons are some of my Favorites Geoff. You got some beauties there from Hans. Looking forward to seeing more of them.

Good luck!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Geoff

Hey Daniel I haven’t actually adjusted my drip system in a long time so I went and measured the flow. It looks like I’m changing about 45 gallons a day. the main tank is 55 gallons the side is 30 and the sump is 20 so little less than half daily water change. I don’t check nitrates anymore but my TDS is 200 out of the tap and right now with 16 Discus in 105 gallons the TDS is 256.

Real Name
    Daniel

Thanks for the info Geoff...seeing your SP's has made me want some bad...they're beautiful...I love the solid silver ones and the yellow facial marking are just beautiful!

Real Name
    Julian

Geoff
    Love your silver Pigeons and how they are coming up , you had done an awesome job growing them.
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.

Real Name
    Patty

Geoff,
    That fish is so perfect! Wow, really nice!
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Registered Member

Beautiful discus. How long ago have you setup this tank? what size did you start the discus from and diet?

Real Name
    Geoff

Hey goldfish!
    I got these silvers at 2.5" right around thanksgiving. Here's a photo from 12/2/2017 with my daughter Elliott.
    080sm.jpg

Real Name
    Geoff

She's feeding them beefheart mix, I've been making it for a few years now and I'll post about it soon. I'm down to the last bag and will be making some more this week.
    B618E16B-0553-4D7C-8824-229FD66BE918.jpg
    Last edited by Loosir; 06-18-2018 at 06:12 PM.

Real Name
    Daniel

Geoff at what size did you start to notice that some would have more pattern and some be more solid color? I am planning to get some SP's from Hans myself at the same size you started with...

Looking forward to seeing your beef heart recipe. Do you turn off your return pump when feeding beef heart or does your automatic water change system still keep up wit the additional bioload beef heart adds to your aquarium?

Cheers mate,

Danny
    Last edited by danotaylor; 06-19-2018 at 02:38 AM.

Real Name
    Geoff

Hey Danny,
    Its easy to tell at 2.5" which have pattern and which are solid. My dilemma was I didn't want too white of a fish without the red halo, I've seen Silvers all white and just a hint of red, but then on the flip side I've seen Silvers who never lost their red spots on the body. I decided to go with both and see what happens.

I don't turn off the pump, the BH sinks and I scoop away what comes out of the fish. With that said the return dumps into the sump between two sheets of foam and I do squeeze those out every month or so.

Real Name
    Daniel

Thanks Geoff. Did you request some of both from Hans or did you just know you would get a mix by buying the number you did?

Don't forget your BH recipe

Real Name
    Geoff

Just another photo of the group
    8F168404-13FA-43A1-A821-5FE6E3B8B17E.jpg

Real Name
    Geoff

I also went out to the store tonight and got my beef heart ingredients here’s the photo. I’ve got beef hearts, shrimp, bananas, paprika, spinach and salmon. I’ll make it tomorrow.
    AD29B66C-D416-42B2-A928-95BAD845109C.jpg

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast