ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Geoff’s Contest Thread

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Geoff’s Contest Thread

Do you grind or blend/vitamize your mix? Can you tell me why you add banana's and paprika? Thanks Geoff!

Real Name
    Geoff

Hey Daniel I used to use vitamins, I would grind them in a coffee grinder but I haven’t done that for the last couple times because I didn’t have any vitamins laying around. it doesn’t seem to have made much of a difference so I just stoped doing it. I add shrimp and bananas because those two ingredients besides their nutrition have helped keep the beef heart from dissolving into the water, it’s kind of a binder. The paprika brings out the red in the fish. If I had yellows I wouldn’t add it.
    Last edited by Loosir; 06-22-2018 at 11:01 PM.

Real Name
    Geoff

Real Name
    Geoff

Real Name
    Geoff

Real Name
    Geoff

Real Name
    Daniel

Looks great Geoff! Thanks for the tips and answering my questions. I will be saving my deer hearts this hunting season as well. Deer is so lean, almost completely fat free, so will be a great addition in a heart mixture.
    Do you remember approx how long it took you to raise the SP's from 2.5" to 4"? When I am ready I will be buying from Hans as well in the 2.5-3" range.
    You SP's look amazing. I like the solids best. Hopefully Hans can pick 4 for me. They will look great with the flachen and fire reds.
    Cheers mate!
    Danny

Registered Member

Great information Geoff! It is too much work for me. I will with more simpler beefmeat from the supermarket.

Real Name
    Geoff

Thanks Daniel! I would say it took about 3 months to get them from 2.5 to 4. They grow fast at that age. Just remember that silvers pepper vey easily, but clean water and a white bottom of the tank will keep them clean!

Real Name
    Geoff

Thanks goldfish! As with most things in life, there’s no one best way of doing something. Just do what’s best for you and makes you happy and it’ll be a huge success!

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Loosir View Post
    Thanks Daniel! I would say it took about 3 months to get them from 2.5 to 4. They grow fast at that age. Just remember that silvers pepper vey easily, but clean water and a white bottom of the tank will keep them clean!
    Thanks for the tips and info mate. Glad it's a pretty quick run to the safety of a 4-inch + discus.
    My tank is currently painted black on the rear glass. So that may not be the best hey? I had planned to leave it black as I'm getting flachens and fire reds so I thought might make the colors pop nicely but if it's going to make the Silvers prone to peppering maybe I will change it. Do you think of white bottom with clean water and a black background will work?
    Cheers mate!

Real Name
    Geoff

I think the reds and silvers will pepper the same. The bottom seems to be the most influential. I’ve tried different backgrounds but when I painted the bottom white or used white sand in my previous tank, the pepper was the least. I have a ss pigeon and pigeon red from Hans that are pepper free in that tank.

Registered Member

Hey Geoff, that is a very impressive dedication for caring and preparing for those discus of your. They are very lucky to have you as daddy.

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Loosir View Post
    I think the reds and silvers will pepper the same. The bottom seems to be the most influential. I’ve tried different backgrounds but when I painted the bottom white or used white sand in my previous tank, the pepper was the least. I have a ss pigeon and pigeon red from Hans that are pepper free in that tank.
    Thanks Jeff. I will paint the bottom of the tank white once I get it emptied then. I have a buy a pending for all my African cichlids and hope to seal the deal by the weekend. Then I can clean my tank and order my fish from Hans next week. Pretty stoked to get some Stendkers happening. I hope mine grow out to be as clean and beautiful as yours 😀

Real Name
    Daniel

sorry my auto-correct misspelled your name when I was text to typing the other morning after work...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast