pic of month     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 80

Thread: My Hobby/Story thread 2

  1. #46
    Moderator Team Pices's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    Posts
    958
    Blog Entries
    3
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Patty

    Default Re: My Hobby/Story thread 2

    I know! One of the German Blues is really getting big too.
    If the discus are happy, I知 happy

  2. #47
    Moderator Team Pices's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    Posts
    958
    Blog Entries
    3
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Patty

    Default Re: My Hobby/Story thread 2

    579F0E8A-80B2-4557-BCC2-5294AAC845BA.jpg
    I took Adam痴 advice and added a large sword to the right side of the tank. I think it looks good. Also managed to get everyone in the pic after feeding them some live brine.
    If the discus are happy, I知 happy

  3. #48
    Moderator Team Pices's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    Posts
    958
    Blog Entries
    3
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I知 happy

  4. #49
    Moderator Team Adam S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    427
    iTrader
    4 (100%)

    Default Re: My Hobby/Story thread 2

    Breaking in the new furniture already! He(?) needs to dump the new gal(?) though and go back to the other HB. Not a good pairing imo.

  5. #50
    Registered Member LizStreithorst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Moselle, MS
    Posts
    6,142
    iTrader
    12 (100%)

    Default Re: My Hobby/Story thread 2

    Pat doesn't care. She doesn't want breed. The eggs already look white in the pic but if they are fertile the other fish will eat them if they make it to free swimming.

    Personally, it a cross that I would like to work with. I wanted to make blue half black pearlscales. It would have been quite a project and taken a lot of crossing sibling to sibling and keeping my fingers crossed. The German blue blusher that Patty is a pearlscale. It's just hard to see except on it's shiny parts. With enough work, and time, and tank space she could make stripeless blue half black pearlscales. If she got that she would have the world beating a path to her door.

    Patty, IME pairs rarely wife swap, especially with a fish of a different strain. I think this is way cool.
    Mama Bear

  6. #51
    Moderator Team Pices's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    Posts
    958
    Blog Entries
    3
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Patty

    Default Re: My Hobby/Story thread 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    Breaking in the new furniture already! He(?) needs to dump the new gal(?) though and go back to the other HB. Not a good pairing imo.
    It’s actually the female HB and male GB pearlscale. He is a rookie though and totally missed the eggs. The male HB is sulking in the front corner of the tank.
    If the discus are happy, I知 happy

  7. #52
    Moderator Team Pices's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    Posts
    958
    Blog Entries
    3
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Patty

    Default Re: My Hobby/Story thread 2

    Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Pat doesn't care. She doesn't want breed. The eggs already look white in the pic but if they are fertile the other fish will eat them if they make it to free swimming.

    Personally, it a cross that I would like to work with. I wanted to make blue half black pearlscales. It would have been quite a project and taken a lot of crossing sibling to sibling and keeping my fingers crossed. The German blue blusher that Patty is a pearlscale. It's just hard to see except on it's shiny parts. With enough work, and time, and tank space she could make stripeless blue half black pearlscales. If she got that she would have the world beating a path to her door.

    Patty, IME pairs rarely wife swap, especially with a fish of a different strain. I think this is way cool.
    Really? I thought it was weird, but didn’t know it was rare. The stripeless blue half black pearscales would be something. I need to buy a lottery ticket this weekend so I can dream of my own fishroom. The German Blue needs to practice his shot on the next batch of eggs if they stay paired up. He is a good egg protector though. These fish are like discus in that they never get boring! Thanks for your input. You’re going to turn me into a breeder yet. First you gave me the angel bug, then you sent me a slutty half black......ha ha
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I知 happy

  8. #53
    Moderator Team Adam S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    427
    iTrader
    4 (100%)

    Default Re: My Hobby/Story thread 2

    For whatever reason, HB blues don't work out the way they should on paper. Should be a simple F1xF1 and 25% HB blues, but I never got a clean pattern in two generations.

    Glad they took a liking to the sword. Always fun watching them interact with the scape.

  9. #54
    Registered Member LizStreithorst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Moselle, MS
    Posts
    6,142
    iTrader
    12 (100%)

    Default Re: My Hobby/Story thread 2

    No. Half blacks almost never follow the rules. The pair that were the parents had produced 100% HBs in a spawn of around 200. They had just two culls in the entire batch. There's a thread here about them somewhere.
    Mama Bear

  10. #55
    Moderator Team Pices's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    Posts
    958
    Blog Entries
    3
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Patty

    Default Re: My Hobby/Story thread 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    For whatever reason, HB blues don't work out the way they should on paper. Should be a simple F1xF1 and 25% HB blues, but I never got a clean pattern in two generations.

    Glad they took a liking to the sword. Always fun watching them interact with the scape.
    Thanks for the suggesting a sword Adam. We all like it a lot, lol
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I知 happy

  11. #56
    Moderator Team Pices's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    Posts
    958
    Blog Entries
    3
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Patty

    Default Re: My Hobby/Story thread 2

    Well the pair are at it again. The eggs look white in the pic but are actually fertilized. My water is hard so I’m not expecting these to hatch. One of my platinum blue pearlscales is trying to claim the rest of the tank as his domain. He’s a bigger terror than my pair. My German Blues and other plat are hiding out till this storm passes. Looks like I only have 3 fish in a 75 gal tank! 4E4ED324-D616-4B76-8091-057A09792029.jpgD0D439B3-64EA-4517-9E90-0A82DE916290.jpg
    If the discus are happy, I知 happy

  12. #57
    Moderator Team Adam S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    427
    iTrader
    4 (100%)

    Default Re: My Hobby/Story thread 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    My water is hard so I’m not expecting these to hatch.
    Don't give up on that idea just yet. I had a miracle pair of het albino blues that consistently had 60-70% hatch rate in 460 TDS tap. Of course that was an exception, but angels are tough from day 0.

  13. #58
    Registered Member LizStreithorst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Moselle, MS
    Posts
    6,142
    iTrader
    12 (100%)

    Default Re: My Hobby/Story thread 2

    It's good to see that dad has won back his woman from that interloper.
    Mama Bear

  14. #59
    Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    28,423
    Blog Entries
    4
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Pat

    Default Re: My Hobby/Story thread 2

    Who needs TV with all this drama going on lol. Sounds like you are enjoying your angels Patty
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

  15. #60
    Moderator Team Pices's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    Posts
    958
    Blog Entries
    3
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Patty

    Default Re: My Hobby/Story thread 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    Don't give up on that idea just yet. I had a miracle pair of het albino blues that consistently had 60-70% hatch rate in 460 TDS tap. Of course that was an exception, but angels are tough from day 0.
    I’m not ready for them to breed. I’d need more tanks for that. On the other hand, I am always looking around for new places to put tanks. Ha ha. Shh don’t tell my husband!
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I知 happy

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

pic of month             AquaticSuppliers.com