AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thomas' Stendker - Contest Thread

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Thomas

Default Re: Thomas' Stendker - Contest Thread

Hey!
    I had nothing special to report until today. The fish are all doing good.
    It looks more and more like we have 2 females (the German Wonder and the Téfé) and that the others are male.

I'm sure about the females because both have laid eggs!
    The German Wonder laid eggs for the first time one month ago, and the Téfé just laid eggs a few hours ago!
    I'm not home now, but my girlfriend was there and sent me this photo:
    Tefe_eggs_20180919.jpg

Apparently the Blue Snake Skin and the Téfé are our second couple. This time, there were more eggs than for the other couple, and the Leopard Snake skin (mainly) tried to overthrow the Blue Snake Skin! For now, the Téfé looks interested in the Blue Snake Skin and whatever the Leopard Snake Skin does, she always returns to the Blue Snake Skin. The poor guy has to face all the other fish who try to either show dominance or try to gain the Téfé's heart!

During this first egg laying of the Téfé x Blue Snake Skin couple, the Téfé laid the eggs and the Blue Snake Skin ate them all. Apparently, he hasn't even made one pass over the eggs.
    I know that I should wait for them to mature, so that's what I'll do.

I feel bad for the Téfé. She lost so much energy to produce these eggs. If one fish should have eaten them, it was her! ^^

When I started this thread, I wouldn't have believed that so many things may have happened in such a short time! I've only had the discus for a few months and they grew and changed so much! :D

Real Name
    Patty

These fish are never boring are they? That’s what I love about these fish. I think we get them because they are so beautiful, but we aren’t expecting them to be so entertaining. That combination is what makes them worth the extra trouble. They are special. Yours look so happy and healthy. I’ve really enjoyed reading your thread.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Thomas

They indeed don't stop surprising me!

I have many photos to edit and upload. For now, here's the Blue Diamond playing with his mouth...

discus_180722_071.jpg

I'll try to upload some of the other photos as soon as I manage to find some time to do it ;)

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Super nice detail Thomas in your images. What are you using to take the photos?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Patty

Looks like he’s blowing us a kiss. Ha ha.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Thomas

When I have enough time, I use my Canon 6D (dslr). I shoot the fish mainly with a canon 100mm macro lens, and for broader shots, I usually use a canon 24-70mm f2.8 L II USM lens.
    I recently bought a cobra flash with an emitter to trigger it when it's not connected to the body of the camera. I'm still experimenting with the flash.
    Otherwise, I use my Huawei P10.

I recently saw that someone who works for "Diskuszucht Stendker" posted a photo on instagram with the following caption (part of it):
    "Please do not take pictures with a flash, because this can make our dicus fish blind!".
    I guess that we could say the same about humans...? Has anyone ever heard of fish turning blind because of flashes?

Anyway... Using flash or the artificial light mounted on our tanks or natural light gives different results. I'm far from an expert so I'm still experimenting with this all ;)

Here's a photo of the two main males (?) in the tank:

discus_180722_152.jpg

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by thomaswal View Post
    When I have enough time, I use my Canon 6D (dslr). I shoot the fish mainly with a canon 100mm macro lens, and for broader shots, I usually use a canon 24-70mm f2.8 L II USM lens.
    I recently bought a cobra flash with an emitter to trigger it when it's not connected to the body of the camera. I'm still experimenting with the flash.
    Otherwise, I use my Huawei P10.

I recently saw that someone who works for "Diskuszucht Stendker" posted a photo on instagram with the following caption (part of it):
    "Please do not take pictures with a flash, because this can make our dicus fish blind!".
    I guess that we could say the same about humans...? Has anyone ever heard of fish turning blind because of flashes?

Anyway... Using flash or the artificial light mounted on our tanks or natural light gives different results. I'm far from an expert so I'm still experimenting with this all

Here's a photo of the two main males (?) in the tank:

discus_180722_152.jpg
    Stunning, Thomas. I really have to learn to take some pictures half as good as yours. Luckyly there is a photography section on here. Need a camera first though....
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Thomas

On the photography side, I guess that once you know the basics, it's only a question of practice and experience. Feel free to ask once you take your first photos with your future camera. There are some technical aspects to consider, but once we have these in mind, it's more a question of composition, knowing your fish, their behaviour etc.

The problem that comes with "camera photography" is that it's not enough to take the photos. The edit is a big part of it too!
    Here are a few photos from the 22nd. I did another photo session since then, but I haven't had time to edit them yet...

discus_180722_278.jpg
    (I haven't found the way to photography this Solid Fire Red yet... The photos always look dull or depth-less... In fact, the red/orange colours are outside the sRGB gamut. But if I upload the photos with the ProPhoto RGB profile, they may not show properly for everyone.)

discus_180722_275.jpg

discus_180722_176.jpg

discus_180722_065.jpg

discus_180722_096.jpg

discus_180722_239.jpg

;)

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

On the photography side, I guess that once you know the basics, it's only a question of practice and experience. Feel free to ask once you take your first photos with your future camera. There are some technical aspects to consider, but once we have these in mind, it's more a question of composition, knowing your fish, their behaviour etc.

The problem that comes with "camera photography" is that it's not enough to take the photos. The edit is a big part of it too!
    Here are a few photos from the 22nd. I did another photo session since then, but I haven't had time to edit them yet...

discus_180722_278.jpg
    (I haven't found the way to photography this Solid Fire Red yet... The photos always look dull or depth-less... In fact, the red/orange colours are outside the sRGB gamut. But if I upload the photos with the ProPhoto RGB profile, they may not show properly for everyone.)

Your photos are great...maybe a different color back ground may hep you achieve what you're looking for. If the glass isn't painted, maybe slip a board with a darker color behind just for a photo shoot
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Thomas

Thanks for the suggestion! It was already on my list of things to do. I wanted to either have a darker background or a lighter background (blown out). It's a bit difficult in my tank because of the wall behind it and because of all the things that are in the tank, but maybe I'll manage to try it out

They indeed don't stop surprising me!

I have many photos to edit and upload. For now, here's the Blue Diamond playing with his mouth...

discus_180722_071.jpg

I'll try to upload some of the other photos as soon as I manage to find some time to do it
    Thomas I really like this image.I like it so much I nominated it for our new "Photo of the Month "project. Its a great capture and a striking image. Good luck!
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Thomas I really like this image.I like it so much I nominated it for our new "Photo of the Month "project. :) Its a great capture and a striking image. Good luck!
    Al
    Thanks!
    I'm sure that you agree that photography and fish-keeping are two hobbies that go well together ;)

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Thomas

And here I am again with a few photos ;)

All the fish seem to be doing great! They are still growing and are active.

I can't keep up with everything at the same time so the photos are slightly more than one week old...

This time, everything happened in the middle of the day! I was lucky enough to still be home at that time. Had I not been home, I would have probably not even known that they had laid eggs!

The Téfé laying some eggs:
    discus_180725_086.jpg

The Blue Snake Skin eating her eggs:
    discus_180725_091-092.jpg

Yes, she noticed...
    discus_180725_129.jpg

discus_180725_297.jpg

But she kept laying her eggs:
    discus_180725_303.jpg

At the same time, on the other side of the tank...
    discus_180725_359.jpg

discus_180725_212.jpg

discus_180725_251.jpg

discus_180725_201.jpg
    The Blue Diamond looked more interested than the first time I saw the German Wonder lay her eggs. This time, more eggs were laid and the Blue Diamond came slightly closer and went kind of vertical. However, he has not made a single pass over the eggs.

So basically, on the right side of the tank, the German Wonder laid her eggs, the Blue Diamond did not know what to do so he observed and finally the German Wonder ate her eggs.
    And on the left side of the tank, the Téfé laid her eggs, the Blue Snake Skin got very excited (hungry?) and ate them all!

At first I was excited that they were laying eggs. Then I felt a bit sad for the Téfé because all her hard work producing the eggs went into the Blue Snake Skin's belly!

;)

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Thomas

Latest update...:
    The two couples were at it again yesterday evening. They started laying eggs while we were thinking about doing a water change.
    The German Wonder laid her eggs first. It was surprising to see that she did not eat the eggs right after laying them.
    The Téfé also started laying her eggs. She approximately started 2 hours after the German Wonder was done. On her side of the tank, the Blue Snake Skin did not even wait until the Téfé had finished laying eggs. He literally pushed the Téfé away from her eggs to eat them!

In the end, the eggs were gone from both sides. None of the males tried to fertilize the eggs...
    One day maybe...? :)

IMG_20180807_174417.jpg

IMG_20180807_200506.jpg

I'm surprised to see how often they lay eggs. A few weeks ago, I wouldn't have believed that they could do it several times per month!

:)

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Thomas

Hey every one!

It's been a while!

This contest sure was a great challenge. I could more or less keep up for the first two months, but August was too busy for me to post anything...
    Thanks to this contest, I think that we all noticed how much things can change in a few months!
    I also really like being able to go back to the first posts and easily see where I started from ;)

I am still surprised by how much things can evolve within such a limited space.
    The Blue Diamond (now called Henrisson) used to be the boss. Now it looks like the Téfé (the only discus without a name yet) is ruling the tank.
    Two days ago, the Téfé and the Blue Snake Skin (Nour) took hold of 2/3 of the tank and push away any intruder. In fact, it's mainly the Téfé who does the bullying! From the start she was my favourite and it's not about to change!
    The others are doing good... apart from the Blue Diamond who started showing signs of not-so-well-being yesterday evening. I did a 80% WC this morning and he looked much better... Now I just dread going back home to see how he's doing. For me, taking care of discus is really stressful. I'm trying to stay calm and not to stress over all the small things that I notice but it's hard! Since I don't have any experience with diseases, I don't really know when to switch from "There might be a problem..." to "I have to do something!"... Maybe it will come one day :)

Along the way, I've noticed a ton of little things that I may have not noticed if I were not looking for things to share with you! Their behaviour is incredible and they are so full of details that there's always something new to discover! Recently, I notice that the Blue Snake Skin and the Téfé are the only two discus who have pectoral fins that divide in two "strands" (?) at the end.

There are still a few things I'd like to optimize regarding the filtration in this tank. I'll try to find a solution and if I don't, I'll star a thread ;)

I've also really loved seeing the progress of the others in the contest! I have learnt a lot in the past months and I am really grateful to all those who devoted their time for this. Thanks to the admins and to those who brought life to the contest by posting!
    Seeing what the other great members of this forum are doing was inspirational and the wealth of information shared was impressive!

I'll try to soon figure out how to best continue this journey and share a few thoughts or photos with you all!

A small photo of the Téfé from 2 days ago:
    IMG_20180909_163616_TW.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast