ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 0D's SRD Flowerhorn (Contest Thread)

Default 0D's SRD Flowerhorn (Contest Thread)

I would have loved to enter this contest with discus..but unfortunately mine wont be arriving until the 19th which is after the entry cut-off.
    Anyways, a few days ago, I ordered more discus than I had planned on (about twice as many to be exact). I originally had a 75 gallon cycled and waiting for my discus, but due to the bigger than anticipated order I am going to pick up something a bit bigger to house them...at least twice as big.

With that being said, the 75g was open for business. I have kept many CA/SA cichlids since I was a youngster, but there was one fish I have been intrigued by that I had never kept (Some purists might not like it). Anyway, I went out an got that something I had always wanted to keep, a decent to high quality SRD Pearl Flowerhorn. These pics we're taken during acclimation in-bag (hence the bubbles), he has been pretty cranky since i dropped him in, he ate a bit, but is super skittish (he is not a fan of the light, if this continues, I will have to revisit the lighting I have for him and go with something less intense). I'm hoping once he settles in a bit I can get some good photos of him swimming around.

This is yesterday 6-10-18 when I brought him home, he's about 3".

The top tank is where he is housed.

Mike

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

Default Re: 0D's SRD Flowerhorn (Contest Thread)

Nice Flowerhorn. Nice shape and a good size hump on him already.

Real Name
    Patty

Show us a pic of him out of the bag please. I like bump headed cichlids. I had a couple steatocranus casuarius or buffalo cichlids once that I liked because they looked like they had little weird beige human faces with blue eyes. Your fish is really cool looking. How big is this guy gonna get? What else are you going to put in there with him?

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Show us a pic of him out of the bag please. I like bump headed cichlids. I had a couple steatocranus casuarius or buffalo cichlids once that I liked because they looked like they had little weird beige human faces with blue eyes. Your fish is really cool looking. How big is this guy gonna get? What else are you going to put in there with him?
    Typically they get about 10-12 inches, he is going to live alone...they are highly aggressive and it's a roll of the dice whether another fish will survive when you put them together....maybe someday I will get him a female. I have no immediate plans to have anything with him at this time.

I was able to get a few photos of him when I got home from work today, he has settled in a bit and regained some of his color, he's eating...but still a bit skittish.

Mike

As I stated above, this flowerhorn's tank was originally going to be for discus, but, I ordered too many to keep them all in 75. I picked this up after work today, 135 gallon setup (brand new). I haven't unpacked it yet, but its exciting nevertheless =)

Mike

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

I have mine in a 75 gallon by itself too. Yours colored up real nice out of the bag. He's a nice one.

Real Name
    Patty

That flowerhorn is really beautiful-the colors, shape and fins. I also like the size and color of your 135 gal.
    It’ll be perfect once you get some “finage” in there. I bet you can hardly wait.
    Patty

That flowerhorn is really beautiful-the colors, shape and fins. I also like the size and color of your 135 gal.
    It’ll be perfect once you get some “finage” in there. I bet you can hardly wait.
    Patty
    Thanks Patty, waiting is not my strong suit, I have the patience of a dog....I'll be a ball of anxiety until the discus are in the water.
    Mike

There's been a vast improvement in his personality over the past day, he is still skittish with fast movements, but he will actually eat with me sitting in front of his tank. I've been feeding him a varied diet of Frozen Blood Worms, Hikari Blood-Red Parrot, Al's FDBW, and Frozen Brine Shrimp. The pics I took today aren't the best, but his pearling is really starting to come through, he looks better every day.

Mike

Real Name
    Patty

Looks like he could glow at night! Nice!
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Looks like he could glow at night! Nice!
    The red is really starting to pop more and more every day. I ordered some Sumo Red food (specifically for flowerhorns) from Thailand, it should be here sometime next week and I'm going to add that to his regiment of feedings as well.
    Mike

Real Name
    Patty

Hey Mike,
    Any new pics of your fish? How’s he doing?
    Patty

Hey Mike,
    Any new pics of your fish? How’s he doing?
    Patty
    Well I have good and bad news. The good news is, he is a glutton, he loves to eat and seems to be super healthy. His hump is growing from what I can tell, and he already looks to be growing imo. I recently got him some pellets specifically for Flowerhorns and made that the main staple of his diet (Sumo Red Flowerhorn Pellets).
    The bad news, he is a complete wimp when it comes to lighting, he is ultra skittish with too much light..as soon as I turn it off, he is ready to eat my hand and following me from side to side of the tank. So, a few days ago I decided to try a smaller light that I had from a 5 gallon fluval nano tank, he seems to be much happier in low light....the downside, his tank is darker and we can't enjoy a decent look at him. I'm thinking of buying a smaller Finnex Vivid + for him, maybe a 24" and see how that works out.

Mike

Real Name
    Patty

Well look at that fat belly! I’m glad he likes the food since you had it shipped from Thailand! He does look like he’s growing too. I hope he gets used to being in the limelight so to speak. He is just too pretty to stay in the dark. Maybe when he’s a little bigger and has had more of his “Wheaties” ha ha
    Patty

Can anyone enter the Flowerhorn contest?

Meet Foot Long Donald;

You picked a very nice looking Pearl. Like Discus, I've found my Flowerhorns also like clean water with frequent water changes. If interested, Sumo Red can be easily ordered on eBay from a US distributor with very quick shipping.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast