ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 0D's SRD Flowerhorn (Contest Thread)

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: 0D's SRD Flowerhorn (Contest Thread)

Maybe a few friends would help to bring him out of his shell a bit...flowerhorn's are aggressive, so something tough like a. festae or c. salvini...maybe he's lonely...just a thought...

He has actually made a big turnaround this week, constantly begs for food, follows me around the room, nips at my fingers, jumps out of the water to eat, etc. I am going to keep him alone, a lot of Flowerhorn enthusiasts will add blood parrots to a flowerhorn setup to assist in "Grooming" them (ie: increasing hormone levels by aggression) to increase colors and hump size. The blood parrots are unable to hurt your fish due to their deformed mouths, and act as a living punching bag for the flowerhorn....I'm not a big fan of purposely hurting one fish to help another look better. I'm just going to do things the discus way, lots of food and clean water and see what happens, I'm already noticing a good amount of growth, and he seems super happy/healthy.

I'm leaving for Chicago tomorrow for a week, I hope to get some good pics of him and my discus thread up before I go. Hopefully my better-half does a good job keeping the fish-room going while I'm gone, we've spent this whole week getting her trained on feeding regiments and solo water changes
    Mike

Real Name
    Patty

Hey Mike maybe your wife taking care of him for a week will increase his testosterone levels. Now she’ll wonder why she has to wear short shorts to do wc'sha ha.
    My husband always asks me, “Did you add the prime?” I almost forgot a couple times in the beginning when we were getting into our routine. I’m sure she’ll do a great job. Look forward to more pics.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Well, I got back from vacation, and I noticed considerable growth from this guy, especially in his hump. His level of skittishness has pretty much vanished... I'm at the point where I can dangle some FDBW above the water, and he will jump up and grab it from my hand...just have to be careful of my fingers as he gets bigger This is right after a feeding (as you can probably tell by his fat belly) but it goes down SUPER fast compared to discus, we're feeding him 3-5 times a day with about 75% WC daily 84deg temp.

Mike

Real Name
    Patty

Wow, his bump is much bigger. I’m glad he’s not a wimp anymore. He really is a pretty fish. At this rate he’s gonna be huge when this contest winds up.
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Wow, his bump is much bigger. I’m glad he’s not a wimp anymore. He really is a pretty fish. At this rate he’s gonna be huge when this contest winds up.
    Patty
    Thanks Patty, his growth rate has me very surprised, rough measurement he's gained almost 2 inches...I haven't had him a full month yet....I also think he will be a brute a few months from now.
    Mike

Real Name
    Filip

Stunning fish ODgreen.
    I don't know a thing about flowerhorns but I would love to have a batch of at least 5-6 in my tank if I were about to keep them at some point .
    BTW , what does SDR stands for ?

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Stunning fish ODgreen.
    I don't know a thing about flowerhorns but I would love to have a batch of at least 5-6 in my tank if I were about to keep them at some point .
    BTW , what does SDR stands for ?
    SRD is the strain type - Super Red Dragon

If you wanted to keep a group, you would need a lot of tank dividers . They are incredibly aggressive toward other fish...every once in awhile you might come across a flowerhorn that isn't aggressive, but it is rare.
    Mike

Last night during a waterchange, I experienced my first bite from a flowerhorn...it didn't feel good. I'm glad he isn't scared anymore, but we've done a complete 180 and I'm sure I'm not going to enjoy getting bit during waterchanges when he is 10" inches..
    Mike

Real Name
    Patty

Can you put a female flowerhorn with a male? Sounds like you end up with piranha though. Lol
    Patty

It's been awhile, we've gone thru some changes in the fishroom...because of this, Mr. Flowerhorn has temporarily been moved to the living room. He's going back into the fishroom in a couple weeks. Still growing very fast, I was weary about this tank placement at first being that it is right in front of our entryway to the house (LOTS of foot traffic), but, he LOVES it. Any human or dog that passes by the tank, he is sure to follow along the glass...he has turned into quite the pet fish.
    Here are some crummy update photos.

Mike

Real Name
    Patty

I’ve been waiting to see this big boy. He has grown a lot and that bump! His shape, color and personality are so cool. Thanks for the update. I’ve been following this thread and really like watching him grow in size and personality. You are bringing out the best in him. Great thread!
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    I’ve been waiting to see this big boy. He has grown a lot and that bump! His shape, color and personality are so cool. Thanks for the update. I’ve been following this thread and really like watching him grow in size and personality. You are bringing out the best in him. Great thread!
    Patty
    Thanks Patty!
    Mike

Real Name
    Patty

Hey Mike any new pics of your flowerhorn? Is he still growing like a weed? I hope I get to see him again before the contest ends.
    Patty

Registered Member

Dandy hump.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast