AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 0D's Discus Startup - Contest Thread

Default Re: 0D's Discus Startup - Contest Thread

Well folks, everyone arrived safe and sound, I have a bunch of photos to share (they looked a lot better on my phone...not so great when I uploaded them here, but never the less).

So there are many ways to acclimate a fish and I've used them all. In this particular case, I did what most people do, and floated the bags to get them up to temperature (although this didn't take long due to Kenny's superb packaging).

After the water was up to temp, I placed the bags back into the foam boxes, cut them open, and added some tank water to each bag. (I use the drip method often, but this was a quicker solution for me, the bags were a bit stinky and I just wanted to get the fish into the tank with some clear water asap). I let the bags sit for about an hour, adding a bit of water to each bag every 10mins or so.

After about an hour had elapsed, I started putting the fish in the tank 1 by 1.

I had the lights on for about 15mins just to snap some photos to share, Otherwise, the lights will be off for a day or so until they get comfortable...however, they've been in the tank for less than an hour and already seem pretty happy (Stress bars are starting to fade, and they are stretching their fins)
    Mike

some more photos...again I apologize for the quality (or lack-there-of) They looked much better on my phone

This was the free fish Kenny had tossed in - Albino Millennium Gold

The next 2 pictures of 2 of the 3 fish that my fiance picked out..i must say, I REALLY like this Sapphire Ruby

Ring Gene Leopard and the guy on the right is the Eruption she picked out

All of the fish I picked out were Forrest Giant Blues ranging from 4" to 5.5"+

I am going to let them settle for the day, and give them a feeding in the morning.......I know we have a good camera around here somewhere, I'll see if the boss can dig it up when she gets home from work and I can get some pretty photos posted when everyone is less cranky.

Cheers!
    Mike

Real Name
    Patty

Hey Mike,
    I was excited to see your pics, but they aren’t showing
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Hey Mike,
    I was excited to see your pics, but they aren’t showing
    That's strange, I see them
    Mike

Real Name
    Patty

Can anyone else see them? Am I on a “no look” list? I had the same problem Mike. My pics showed up as a link which I saw when I clicked on it, but no one else could see them. I’m dying to see your fishies!
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Can anyone else see them? Am I on a “no look” list? I had the same problem Mike. My pics showed up as a link which I saw when I clicked on it, but no one else could see them. I’m dying to see your fishies!
    Patty
    I think I accidentally set it to private viewing, give it a glance now, if that didn't work i don't know what else it could be
    Mike

Registered Member

Bautiful discus
    I see them now thank

I see them all fine and they are some nice looking Fish Mike!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Thanks guys, we found our "good" camera...although its a bit outdated by today's standards, the difference will be big I think. Expect some nicer pics over the weekend once the fish color up and settle in.
    Mike

Real Name
    Tobi

Nice quality fish. I really like those giant blues. The sapphire ruby has a really nice shape to it
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Wow mate, stunning looking fish...all of them...they look very relaxed already. Kenny you've done it again!! TFS

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

Really nice setup! Really like your brittany. I have 3 french brittanies and one looks just like yours.
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Hiball1 View Post
    Really nice setup! Really like your brittany. I have 3 french brittanies and one looks just like yours.
    Sean
    Hey thanks Sean, that's my buddy Lambeau, out of our 3 dogs, hes the only 1 that truly likes/connects with me..he doesn't care too much for mom or his "brothers". Although, he could learn to be a better help in the fish room, if only I could figure out a way to get him to scrub or drain tanks for me
    Mike

Real Name
    Patty

I see them now. Wow! Nice picks-your wife picked some stunners too. I’m sure you are thrilled with them. I’m wishing I had one of those giant blues!
    Patty

Little update: day 2 - I've done 2x 100% water changes since arrival, fish are starting to eat both FDBW and my Beefheart mix, pecking order is being established (The smallest fish of the bunch - the Albino has turned out to be the boss), everyone is healthy, but still getting used to their new home.

Unfortunately, Kenny was unable to fit a cycled sponge in the package without compromising the foam box, so I've been battling cloudy water/Bacterial blooms. I am combating this with big water changes as well as flushes....it should be stable in the next week or so. I'm also going to feed on the lighter side until things chill out a bit, feeding regiment as of right now - morning feeding - 4 FDBW cubes, Lunchtime - 1 FBDW Cube and a small amount of Hans Flakes, Dinner - 2 small Beefheart mix cubes followed by a 100% waterchange. This may seem like a lot of food, but remember, there are 18 fish in here...which is another reason I will be doing 100%WCs forever.

They are not used to eating flakes from what I can tell, and are not a huge fan of them yet...I do have some Forrest Aquabites on the way, which I assume they are used to eating in Forrest's hatchery, so that should enable me to feed a bit more variety.
    Sorry for not having an photo updates today, I'm going to get some up this weekend with the good camera.

Cheers!
    Mike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast