AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two Utes Time Lapse

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Two Utes Time Lapse

I've been toying with the idea for a long time now, to take a sequence of photos of one of my discus, and do a time lapse video clip on its development. Not so much on size but how the colors and patterns change throughout its growth.

This fun competition may present me with the opportunity to do so, though l may be away from time to time, particularly for my 3 week trip away with my family to America and the NADA Discus Show.

I have a 75 gl tank in my living area which has housed different fish over the last 30 years, mainly discus but i had strayed a few times. I was excited to find a local breeder who had a beautiful pair of snakeskin, Penang Spotted Eruptions, and was itching to purchase a batch of fry off him to raise in this tank. I was very patient and waited for the opportunity to buy a group of 18 and documented their growth and how i raised them in my 'Getting Back Into Discus' thread which was lots of fun.

So here i am two and a half years later with another group of 18 discus which are the spawn of one of the pairs l successfully raised and bred from that first batch.

This group hatched on the 9th of December 2017, which makes them 6 months old now, and the first thing i noticed was that they were not all snake skins or spotted eruptions either, but i decided to keep a few to raise and see exactly what they are.

Before i go much further though here is a few pictures of the parents which i still have in a breeder tank in my bathroom.

1-20180403_082219.jpg1-20180403_083424.jpg

So you would expect that their offspring will look something like them at some stage, but that may not be the case. I have carefully observed these guy grow and develop, and i must say how intrigued i was on how discus look after and raise their young.

e.jpg1-2017-12-11 13.16.50_1512958864435.jpg22.jpg

I was soon forced into setting up a grow out tank, this time in my garage where i raised 50 plus fish to approx' 1 inch and the hard decision which ones to bring back into my 75 gl tank inside

1-20180330_170333.jpg

I picked 20 fish to bring inside and i lost two jumpers through the tinniest of gaps in my cover glass.
    So the big question now is....Which discus do i pick for this 'Time Lapse' thread?

af.jpgah.jpgai.jpg

....to be continued
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Two Utes Time Lapse

beautiful Joe...don't suppose you could bring a few of your sweet-as Penang's the to US for me hey mate?
    Last edited by danotaylor; 06-13-2018 at 02:42 AM.

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

Excellt work Joe.
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

Joe, very cool project it! Keep it up and I am sure there will be some very interesting images!

Good luck!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    beautiful Joe...don't suppose you could bring a few of your sweet-as Penang's the to US for me hey mate?
    Thanks Daniel. Don't think its that easy mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren's Discus View Post
    Excellt work Joe.
    Thanks Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Joe, very cool project it! Keep it up and I am sure there will be some very interesting images!

Good luck!

al
    Thanks Al. It was actual one of your projects that you did with your kids that gave me the idea. Hope it works out

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Very cool project Joe and quite a variety across the batch. Depending on how many you will track perhaps you could allow the members to select a few they might be interested in following.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

That will make a very interesting experiment project ,it reminds me of a few years ago when you came up with the video when you blow brine shrimp through a tube to feed the fish while you were filming them and yourself from the other side of the tank,you are quite innovative with these kind of ideas. BTW i had problem with jumpers at night and what i did was to buy a small led night light that comes on when it is dark and that stopped them freak out .

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Very cool project Joe and quite a variety across the batch. Depending on how many you will track perhaps you could allow the members to select a few they might be interested in following.
    Pat
    Thanks Pat. I've never attempted anything like this before and interested to see how it turns out. Though to get the best effect i may carry it through for a full 12 months....Did i just say that out loud???
    I was only planning to track the one fish but if anyone takes a fancy to another l'll take regular pictures of that one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    That will make a very interesting experiment project ,it reminds me of a few years ago when you came up with the video when you blow brine shrimp through a tube to feed the fish while you were filming them and yourself from the other side of the tank,you are quite innovative with these kind of ideas. BTW i had problem with jumpers at night and what i did was to buy a small led night light that comes on when it is dark and that stopped them freak out .
    Thanks Sayid. I have one of those lights that i used on my breeder tank and was very effective.
    I remember that video well. Looking from the inside out. I remember seeing the underwater camera on T.V. and thought what a great birthday present for my wife....nec minute

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

So i think I've selected the discus that i want to follow, and it has also been suggested to allow you to pick fish that you want to follow. I'm happy to take regular pictures of any other discus as well, so feel free to let me know which ones

First here's a couple of random shots from the tank a little while ago

a3.jpga2.jpg

The discus i picked has distinctive spots at the base of its dorsal fin, shaped like a cross, pictured and highlighted here

b3.JPG

So Ive taken some more pictures of this discus, and will use the photos in the time lapse video that i will put together at the end of this competition, but probably carry it over for a full 12 months

b2.jpgb1.jpg

I also have these shots of the same discus that were taken awhile back.

a5.jpga4.jpg

Finally a very short video of the tank tonight...see if you can pick it....Maybe we should give 'it' a name....any suggestions?

Last edited by two utes; 06-15-2018 at 04:12 AM.

Real Name
    Daniel

I reckon it is the fish in centre frame at 37 and then 122-128 secs as the vid wraps up...what about naming the fish in question "southern cross" since you're both aussie's? For the international SD crew, the southern cross is a star constellation prominent in the southern hemisphere in the winter months, and is the symbol seen on the aussie flag...just a thought.
    Great work Joe...as always mate...ausie aussie aussie, oi oi oi!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

I reckon it is the fish in centre frame at 37 and then 122-128 secs as the vid wraps up...what about naming the fish in question "southern cross" since you're both aussie's? For the international SD crew, the southern cross is a star constellation prominent in the southern hemisphere in the winter months, and is the symbol seen on the aussie flag...just a thought.
    Great work Joe...as always mate...ausie aussie aussie, oi oi oi!
    Dan. You picked the discus out well. I also like the name Southern Cross, it is very appropriate, though i think ill abbreviate it to SC. Thanks for your input

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

As i observe and wait for a good photo opportunity i cant help but notice the interaction between individual fish in this tank. I'm sure a pecking order has well and truly been established, and i think that SC is on the end of it

Some more pictures from the group this afternoon, and l hope to give the tank a good wipe down during a water change tomorrow. Water changes are being maintained at 30% every 4th day

1-35461979_10156103412110266_6443486383305654272_n.jpg1-34862720_10156103412205266_3572540856076337152_n.jpg1-35345539_10156103412465266_7666114253643841536_n.jpg1-35360614_10156103412245266_3695918017901756416_n.jpg1-35382346_10156103412270266_5001755201653178368_n.jpg1-35394729_10156103412220266_1021253664330743808_n.jpg1-35401560_10156103412315266_7937436395818188800_n.jpg1-35416421_10156103412430266_8508514553372344320_n-001.jpg

Real Name
    Patty

I wouldn’t be able to pick just one fish to follow. They are all so beautiful. I like the music you chose for you video too, “You know I’m such a fool for you.” I’ll be singing the rest of the verse while doing wc today, “you got me wrapped around your finger”
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Dan. You picked the discus out well. I also like the name Southern Cross, it is very appropriate, though i think ill abbreviate it to SC. Thanks for your input
    No worries mate...SC is beautiful looking fish...all of them look to have inherited the great shape of the parent pair.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    I wouldn’t be able to pick just one fish to follow. They are all so beautiful. I like the music you chose for you video too, “You know I’m such a fool for you.” I’ll be singing the rest of the verse while doing wc today, “you got me wrapped around your finger”
    Patty
    Thanks Patty. There are a few there that are really taking my interest...they sure do have us wrapped around their finger Hope you enjoyed doing the water change

No worries mate...SC is beautiful looking fish...all of them look to have inherited the great shape of the parent pair.
    That was one of the major factors that made me keep the ones i did Dan. It wasn't so much about size but mainly their shape.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast