AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Two Utes Time Lapse

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Re: Two Utes Time Lapse

Quote Originally Posted by Swedgin View Post
    What’s the discus scene like Down Under in general, Joe? Is it hard to get some good fish? I recently saw that Santarem have an agent in AUS now, so at least some wilds are available. Should be nice for some enthusiasts.
    I believe that it is not that bad. I know that Australian Industries imports discus through a few sources but mainly Malaysia. They are local but don't sell direct to the public, but my local discus breeder also supplies them with Discus to distribute to aquarium supply shops throughout Australia. I have seen lots of posts about wilds on here from many Aussie enthusiasts that keep wilds...so even though we are on the other side of the big pond we do get our fair share of good stock. Some of the really large aquarium supply shops also import direct from breeders from all over the world, so if you take the time to look you would find what you want.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Jody M.

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Welcome to the forum Jody.
    I noticed this was your first post. Glad you have enjoyed my little thread, but if you want to look at the whole journey on how i started up again check out my 'Back into Discus' thread.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-Discus/page21

I may put up another picture of this fish before i cut the group down to twelve, but im not sure yet...its always very difficult on deciding on who goes and who stays. The first two i pick will be very easy, as i dont like their shape at all. I would love to hear where you're at with the hobby, or if you're just thinking about starting out. One thing for sure is that you will get lots of enjoyment from the hobby, providing you follow some important guidelines.

Thanks for the nice welcome - I am just getting into the hobby right now. I have a 40 gallon tank set up with a 40 gallon sump for extra volume. Someday I may upgrade to a larger display tank so I went with the 40 gallon sump.

I seeded my tank with another smaller tank that I have set up and it is getting close to being cycled. I ordered 5 smaller discus from Uncle Sam's Discus out in L.A. and they are arriving mid-September. 3 Tiger Turquoise and 2 Blue Diamonds.

888233690.jpg

I am pairing them with some cory catfish that will be on cleanup duty. Currently I am trying to figure out how to cut down the amount of time it takes to do a water change, I have a 1200gph pump that I will probably use to empty and refill. More to come when the discus finally get here.

You'll have to share the pictures of the discus that you keep!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Jody View Post
    Thanks for the nice welcome - I am just getting into the hobby right now. I have a 40 gallon tank set up with a 40 gallon sump for extra volume. Someday I may upgrade to a larger display tank so I went with the 40 gallon sump.

I seeded my tank with another smaller tank that I have set up and it is getting close to being cycled. I ordered 5 smaller discus from Uncle Sam's Discus out in L.A. and they are arriving mid-September. 3 Tiger Turquoise and 2 Blue Diamonds.

I am pairing them with some cory catfish that will be on cleanup duty. Currently I am trying to figure out how to cut down the amount of time it takes to do a water change, I have a 1200gph pump that I will probably use to empty and refill. More to come when the discus finally get here.

You'll have to share the pictures of the discus that you keep!
    Nice 2nd post Jody! Water changes can be a bit of a drain sometimes, but extremely important and necessary, particularly with raising juvenile discus. Every batch of discus i've ever had were bought as small as i could get them. I love the idea of having input on how my fish turn out. The parents of these guys grew out to 8 inches and are among the best discus i've ever owned. If you're interested in seeing pictures and videos of them check out my other thread 'Getting back into Discus'. I documented alot of information there for my own reference in the future.

So, last night i took some more pics of my tank before i evict 6 discus from there today. Im really suprised with the variety i ended up with from the same parents...the Spotted Eruption Snake Skins.

So this discus (SC) may end up in my tank outside this afternoon...we will see how that goes.

1-20180901_183747.jpg

1-20180901_184149.jpg

Real Name
    Tobi

I believe that it is not that bad. I know that Australian Industries imports discus through a few sources but mainly Malaysia. They are local but don't sell direct to the public, but my local discus breeder also supplies them with Discus to distribute to aquarium supply shops throughout Australia. I have seen lots of posts about wilds on here from many Aussie enthusiasts that keep wilds...so even though we are on the other side of the big pond we do get our fair share of good stock. Some of the really large aquarium supply shops also import direct from breeders from all over the world, so if you take the time to look you would find what you want.
    Cool, that’s good to know. Thanks Joe
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Its not quit the way i planned out this video clip to be as i didn't obtain enough pictures of the transaction from day to day, but since i'm having a lazy morning i thought id have a play around with it anyways. Its something i will consider doing again properly in the future.

Real Name
    Tobi

Its not quit the way i planned out this video clip to be as i didn't obtain enough pictures of the transaction from day to day, but since i'm having a lazy morning i thought id have a play around with it anyways. Its something i will consider doing again properly in the future.

That’s cool, the color development is quite obvious with the rings on the back.
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

That was absolutely brilliant Joe!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Swedgin View Post
    That’s cool, the color development is quite obvious with the rings on the back.
    Thanks Tobi.

Yes this strain certainly is one that changes dramatically over time as i found out with my other batch. Even in this short time frame of 3 months you can still notice some dramatic changes. Thanks for your interest in my little thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    That was absolutely brilliant Joe!
    You're too kind Paul, but thanks. As l mentioned it didn't really turn out as l planned. Had more pictures been taken and over a longer time period, it certainly would have been a more interesting and dramatic transaction.

12.jpg a1.jpg

All in all, l love having discus in my tank, and the reason i enjoy growing out juveniles is seeing the transaction take place in front of my eyes. Its very rewarding knowing that all the time you spend feeding and maintaining these little guys has the biggest influence on how they turn out. I have learnt that the first twelve months is the most critical part while they have the best opportunity to grow and develop. Not only did i notice a change in appearance but also a pecking order develop. Southern Cross wasn't at the top but more so at the end of the line, though he still held his ground tossleing for a feed at feeding times. One thing the video or pictures didnt show is the size difference. Southern Cross started at around an 1 1/2 inches (38mm) when i started this thread, and is now nudging 3 1/2 inches (88mm)

I have to admit that i got a little bored posting pictures daily and not seeing any differences in them, and i was thinking that my audience did as well. Had i continued, the final video would have been much more dramatic

If you have the time on your hands to do this i would highly recommend it. Start with the biggest batch of juveniles that you can afford and that your tank can hold and slowly thin them out to finish off with the best of your liking.

Even though i was absent for awhile i still enjoyed this little project, and have learnt that perseverance is the key for any type of success. Most importantly to stick to it.

Some of the other contestants were very diligent and documented their projects very well and l commend them highly.

Id like to thank the team at Simply Discus for coming up wit these new ideas which definitely generates lots of interest around the forum. Also everyone that took part in this competition, and those that followed them through. There's always opportunities to learn new things on this wonderful forum and this was certainly another great opportunity.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

....i forgot to mention that SC is still in my main tank with the group of 12 i chose to keep.

Real Name
    Jody M.

Sc lives!
    No you don't throw them...

Jody-

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

....i forgot to mention that SC is still in my main tank with the group of 12 i chose to keep.
    I knew you wouldn't cut him from the pack mate...ya big softy

Real Name
    Brian

Nice progression Joe! I hope to see these in the future as they color up even more.

Before i go much further though here is a few pictures of the parents which i still have in a breeder tank in my bathroom.
    At least they aren't shy, lol

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Jody View Post
    Sc lives!
    Yes Jody. He made the cut. Another four will be taken out in a few months once the tank starts looking crowded again, and leave me with the final eight to work with. Even then he may be kept in the tank i have outside with a few others...i find it difficult to have empty tanks, and a good way to keep them cycled

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    I knew you wouldn't cut him from the pack mate...ya big softy
    Hahaha...me a softies? don't think so

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Nice progression Joe! I hope to see these in the future as they color up even more.

At least they aren't shy, lol
    Thanks Yes i have a tank in the main bathroom... Right above the bath tub. It keeps my 3 year old grand daughter occupied, when sh uses it that's for sure, other than that my son uses the shower and has music playing when he does.
    All i know is that its right next to a drain and water tap...Win Win!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123