ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seachem Pristine

Silver Member

Default Seachem Pristine

I've been using a relatively new product from Seachem called "Pristine" Here's a quote from their web-site:

"Pristine™ uses bio-augmentation, a non-chemical and natural method, to improve water quality. It provides bacteria that break down excess food, waste and detritus in freshwater and marine systems. It will also reduce excess nutrients (e.g. ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites) that may fuel the growth of nuisance and disease-causing organisms. Pristine™ increases water clarity and promotes overall better health for the aquatic environment.

The bacteria species in Pristine™ thrive in fresh or salt water and can utilize a wide range of organic compounds, including fats that can cause unsightly films. Unlike traditional nitrifying bacteria, this bacterial blend can adapt to harsh or low oxygen environments and continue to multiply and improve water conditions. Biopolymers produced by established bacterial colonies trap particulates and increase water clarity.

The species of bacteria in Pristine™ are a unique blend, specifically developed for hardiness and their ability to adapt to a wide variety of environmental conditions."

I'm very sceptical about claims like this, but since it was from Seachem, I gave it a try. I'm happy to report that it really does help to keep the tank clean, especially the filters and tubing. One of the attributes of the product is that you only have to use it for a short period until the bacteria is established. (About a week or two.) Thus the cost factor is minimal. I believe that this product is especially beneficial for show tanks and anytime sand or gravel substrates are used.

In my case, I noticed a reduction in the accumulation of feces, a reduction in the material trapped in the mechanical filter, and a reduction in the slime buildup in the tubing. Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are always zero in my tank, so there were no changes for me.

Anyone else have any experience with this product?

Paul

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Seachem Pristine

Cool stuff Paul. I had never heard of the product. TFS

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

If the Seachem claims for this product have any degree of veracity, then it's use in combination with Seachem's Purigen would seem to be a double-barreled water quality enhancer.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Cool stuff Paul. I had never heard of the product. TFS
    It's a relatively new product, and I'm very impressed with the results obtained with it. As you know, I have developed a filtration system that greatly reduces the amount of maintenance required to keep the tank clean, and I'm always looking for ways to improve it. Even though the system I have is extremely good at doing so, the use of Pristine makes a noticeable improvement, especially the mechanical filters and the plastic tubing that carries the water.

I wonder if the use of this product could eliminate the crap that accumulates in a gravel substrate to the degree that one could have gravel without detriment to discus. Would be interesting to find out, but for now I'll stick to my bare bottom tank. Anyhow, if I did have gravel, I would definitely give it a try. Perhaps it could change the way we keep discus.in a show tank.

Paul
    Last edited by afriend; 06-04-2016 at 12:37 PM.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    If the Seachem claims for this product have any degree of veracity, then it's use in combination with Seachem's Purigen would seem to be a double-barreled water quality enhancer.
    Yes, exactly. That's what I'm doing.

I think that they work in a different way however, but I'm just guessing at this. Sure would like to see the chemical equations for how Pristine functions. I'm wondering what the by-products are. From the Seachem description I would assume that Pristine does not involve nitrification ending up with nitrate.

What I can say for certain is that the proper use of both products (Pristine and Purigen) results in a tank that always looks as if it were just cleaned yesterday. The key words above are "proper use" because other considerations must be taken into account to get the results that I have obtained.

Paul

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Paul, thanks for bringing attention to it, I had not heard of it before. I have two tanks with shallow sand (actually Caribsea Torpedo Beach) and I'm always a little dissatisfied with the stuff that accumulates there, so I will give it a try and look for any improvement.

It appears to be a blend of facultative bacteria, which are those that can switch their functioning to either aerobic or anaerobic metabolism.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJW View Post
    Paul, thanks for bringing attention to it, I had not heard of it before. I have two tanks with shallow sand (actually Caribsea Torpedo Beach) and I'm always a little dissatisfied with the stuff that accumulates there, so I will give it a try and look for any improvement.

It appears to be a blend of facultative bacteria, which are those that can switch their functioning to either aerobic or anaerobic metabolism.
    Dan,

I hope you know more about this process than I do. What I would like to know is what kind of chemical by-products are formed and if they are harmful. Thanks for your input.

Please let us know what results you get. If I were to guess, I would give it a month or two.

Paul

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

I don't know for sure, but I expect the end products would be similar to those of the bacteria normally present in the tank and filter. My concern, if I have one, would be that if the fish are biologically unfamiliar with these bacteria, while being otherwise harmless they can trigger an immune response, which is a stressor. Or the bacteria might be ubiquitous in aquatic environments and thus benign... we just don't know.

We could ask Seachem if they used Discus or wild-caught fish in their trials.

I agree it will need several weeks to make an assessment; it sounds like a biofilm will be forming in the filter and substrate if any.

Real Name
    Filip

Thanks for sharing the info on this new product Paul .
    Its sure worth to give it a try given the brand name that stands behind.

Dan , Seachem have very professional customer service and they will be glad to answer any question regarding the use of their products.
    So its worth to give it a try and ask the product compatibility with discus immune system or any other potential issues with discus.

Silver Member

Flip,

I agree with you completely about the Seachem name. I have used their products for sometime now and have visited the online forum where their techs answer questions. I'll ask them about the compatibility of the bacteria in Pristine and the immune system of discus. Good suggestion, thanks. However, it has been shut down now for sometime so I'll have to wait.

Paul
    Last edited by afriend; 06-04-2016 at 08:05 PM.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by afriend View Post
    Flip,

I agree with you completely about the Seachem name. I have used their products for sometime now and have visited the online forum where their techs answer questions. I'll ask them about the compatibility of the bacteria in Pristine and the immune system of discus. Good suggestion, thanks. However, it has been shut down now for sometime so I'll have to wait.

Paul
    Please share their feedback with us here if you do contact them Paul .

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Thanks for sharing the info on this new product Paul .
    Its sure worth to give it a try given the brand name that stands behind.

Dan , Seachem have very professional customer service and they will be glad to answer any question regarding the use of their products.
    So its worth to give it a try and ask the product compatibility with discus immune system or any other potential issues with discus.
    Filip, Dan, Paul, and Rick,

I sent Seachem an email this morning (Sunday) and they responded this afternoon (WOW). Here's their response:

"Thank you for your email. There are no by products to the product itself. That being said, Pristine is a bacterial additive and will take solid organic waste and convert it to dissolved organics that can be either a) removed from your system through chemical filtration or b) removed from your system via aerobic and anaerobic bacterial means."

This is really good news, no by-products to be concerned about. Besides a) and b) above, there are two additional methods to remove dissolved organics: Purigen (absorbs organic compounds), and water exchange (since they are dissolved). Depending on how efficient Pristine is at converting solid organic waste into dissolved organics, this offers the potential to revolutionize discus husbandry. Purigen and Pristine together (when used properly along with water exchange) has the potential to ELIMINATE algae, nitrate, and drastically reduce organic material in substrate and the water column. Imagine having a show tank without algae or slime buildup where the feces and uneaten food were removed automatically by a drip water exchange system. This could potentially allow the use of gravel substrate, and at the same time, resulting in extremely healthy water conditions.

I've been using Purigen (in a reactor) for about three years now, and I can state unequivocally that Purigen is EXTREMELY effective at absorbing dissolved organic material. If Pristine turns out to be a product as good as Purigen, then perhaps tank maintenance could be reduced dramatically, and at the same time result in extremely healthy water (maybe even better than 100% daily exchange). Perhaps it might even be possible to accomplish this with less water exchange as well.

Something to think about. What are your thoughts?

Paul

I would like to believe that all of your positive commentary will come to pass just as you have opined.
    Even if Pristine falls somewhat short of all these expectations, in my view it would still prove to be a desirable product for improving water quality, particularly when used in concert with the adsorption capacities of Purigen.
    I'm planning to give it a try when I can find it in my area, and make a good stab at gauging the results.
    Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Paul.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by afriend View Post
    Filip, Dan, Paul, and Rick,

I sent Seachem an email this morning (Sunday) and they responded this afternoon (WOW). Here's their response:

"Thank you for your email. There are no by products to the product itself. That being said, Pristine is a bacterial additive and will take solid organic waste and convert it to dissolved organics that can be either a) removed from your system through chemical filtration or b) removed from your system via aerobic and anaerobic bacterial means."

This is really good news, no by-products to be concerned about. Besides a) and b) above, there are two additional methods to remove dissolved organics: Purigen (absorbs organic compounds), and water exchange (since they are dissolved). Depending on how efficient Pristine is at converting solid organic waste into dissolved organics, this offers the potential to revolutionize discus husbandry. Purigen and Pristine together (when used properly along with water exchange) has the potential to ELIMINATE algae, nitrate, and drastically reduce organic material in substrate and the water column. Imagine having a show tank without algae or slime buildup where the feces and uneaten food were removed automatically by a drip water exchange system. This could potentially allow the use of gravel substrate, and at the same time, resulting in extremely healthy water conditions.

I've been using Purigen (in a reactor) for about three years now, and I can state unequivocally that Purigen is EXTREMELY effective at absorbing dissolved organic material. If Pristine turns out to be a product as good as Purigen, then perhaps tank maintenance could be reduced dramatically, and at the same time result in extremely healthy water (maybe even better than 100% daily exchange). Perhaps it might even be possible to accomplish this with less water exchange as well.

Something to think about. What are your thoughts?

Paul
    Thanks for sharing this info. with us Paul.
    I will for sure give it a try once it hits the shelves in my LFS. I trust Seachem and belive that it will do the job described by manufacturer.
    They forgot the best option in their answer , the option c)
    WCs do the best removal of previously decomposed materials.

For me this product is even more useful than purigen because the hardest part of my planted tank maintenance are not the WCs themselves , but the glass wipeing, sand disturbing, plant leaves shakeing and prefilter cleaning.And this product is claimed to help this out.
    As I understand it litteraly melts the solid debris, crud and biofilm in watrer collumn and thus makes them an easy removal via WC .

Silver Member

and I just removed all the gravel in my tank to go bare bottom. I should have read this thread earlier. Thanks for the info. I am always looking to improve the quality of my tank. It will make me going to sand bottom later on easier on my stress level.

thanks

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast