AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eugene's Contest Thread - 65 gal grow out Journey

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Default Eugene's Contest Thread - 65 gal grow out Journey

May 5, 2018 marked the first day of my first real experience with discus. 21 cute 1" discus fry that I picked up from a very reliable breeder. By the way, I am from Canada.

Right after I decided to accept this challenging grow out journey. I spend at least 2 months looking into all the posts and information from other discus experts posted on this forum as well other good resources. I have to say I have learned a lot and I am still learning each day.

I am running a bare bottom fish tank with painted bottom, side walls and the back. My plan is feeling them at least 6 times a days with FDBW, beef heart mix and other good protein food. 2 times of 90% water changes per day to keep them happy and stay healthy.

Here is a picture of my 21 little guys eating their first dinner right after they arrived their new home.

Pic1.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Default Re: Eugene's Contest Thread - 65 gal grow out Journey

A quick update today.

The group of baby discus aren't baby anymore. Almost all of them are over 3 inches long and there are a few almost reach 3.5 inches. If you ask me what are the best moments with them, I have to say watching them growing bigger and healthier each day will definitely make my day.

What is the most important thing I learn from keeping the discus. I simply say, give them lots of fresh water (90% WC) to make them happy.

20180607_203827.jpg20180607_203729.jpg

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Looks like they are growing nicely. All that hard work is certainly paying off. What strains do you have?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Thank you Pat. The group of discus I have consist of red valentine, yellow white and red cover. All the cute guys are less than 3 months old. Once they reach about 4 inches, I will give them the proper color feed to make them show their vivid color.

I am still try to figure out what is the best way to separate them for the color feed when the time come.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Hi Eugene. Your group look really good, and with the amount of water changes and food you're giving them they are going to grow out nicely. I really believe that its very satisfying growing out discus and having some control on how they turn out. Looking forward to more updates and picture off coarse
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Zac

If they have good genetics they will turn out really nice with the care you are giving them. Remember, Auto feeders are an option too if you want to add a couple more feedings. Very nice growth so far, keep it up!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Thank you Joe and Zac for your compliments. Your compliments really make my day. I have kept many years of fish in the past but keeping discus is my first time in life. In the past, all I have heard about discus are very difficult to keep and they get sick very easy and after all discus are very expensive. This time everything turn around and I have to say keeping those discus are the most enjoyable time I ever have with fish.

I found out there isn't need to have any fancy toy or expensive equipment to keep them healthy. Lots of Clean water is the best drug to give to the fish everyday to make them healthy. There is only one side effect, the discus will beg for food all day long and all of them will hang over to one corner waiting for the food

Pictures of 10 weeks discus. I guess they are still too young to develop the color.

20180624_194522.jpg
    20180624_173204.jpg

Real Name
    Tobi

They look like they’re growing tremendously well. Hard work pays off, love the commitment
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by zhuls1 View Post
    If they have good genetics they will turn out really nice with the care you are giving them. Remember, Auto feeders are an option too if you want to add a couple more feedings. Very nice growth so far, keep it up!
    Yes, I do add an auto feeder to feed those hungry discus. Now they are getting food from me like 8 times a day and I expect they will out grown my 65 Gal very soon. I have a 120 gal in the process of setting up for their new home. I will keep up with the 2 x 90% WC everyday until they grown into adult

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Wow! Coming along nicely...i can see those bulging tummies...keep up what you are doing and you wont be disappointed.....Looks like you've discovered to secret to keeping happy and healthy discus. Now sit back and enjoy.....If i can offer some advice....don't bring in any other fish to this group and risk changing the balance.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by Swedgin View Post
    They look like they’re growing tremendously well. Hard work pays off, love the commitment
    Thank you Tobi. I can't wait to see when they all grow up.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Wow! Coming along nicely...i can see those bulging tummies...keep up what you are doing and you wont be disappointed.....Looks like you've discovered to secret to keeping happy and healthy discus. Now sit back and enjoy.....If i can offer some advice....don't bring in any other fish to this group and risk changing the balance.
    That is very true Joe. Why bother to take any risk when I have a full tank of beautiful discus. Beside, watching them swimming in a group or picking on each other are so much fun. Don't worry, there are 21 of them to pick on each other. No one get hurt or stress out and that is truly a non stop entertainment for me

Very nice Eugene ! you are doing awesome job growing these guys. Very high potentials in this batch, keep them coming more updates/pics

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by sanjay21 View Post
    Very nice Eugene ! you are doing awesome job growing these guys. Very high potentials in this batch, keep them coming more updates/pics
    Thank you Sanjay for your great encouragement. I didn't know keeping discus can be so much fun till now.

Joke of the day:

I just can't stop laughing every feeding time. The dominant one will try to keep all the food for himself. While he is chasing, body slapping and picking others away from the food source (20 other discus) and I say good luck. By the time he chasing some of them away, the other group of discus will able to eat and steal the food from him. The cycle just keep going and going until all the food gone. At the end, every discus has it chance to fill up it's hungry belly.

Real Name
    Patty

Looks like they are eating (and pooping) really well. Really cool seeing these little ones turn into such healthy happy fish.
    Your hard work shows in these picturescongrats on your excellent discus keeping skills.
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast