AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eugene's Contest Thread - 65 gal grow out Journey

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Default Re: Eugene's Contest Thread - 65 gal grow out Journey

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Looks like they are eating (and pooping) really well. Really cool seeing these little ones turn into such healthy happy fish.
    Your hard work shows in these picturescongrats on your excellent discus keeping skills.
    Thank you Patty for your great encouragement. Those little guys (haha, they are not small anymore). Most of them had reached 3.5'' and they eat and poop a lot. They like to do the group pooping especially after I finish the WC. They are try to tell me who are the King and Queen and who is the cleaning maid ;( ;(

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

The breeder that I got my 21 baby discus just inform me he will have some Leopard Snakeskin and Snow Leopards fry available around end of July. Discus fever is killing me big time. At first I only plan to have a 65 gal tank. Now I have 120 gal getting ready for the 21 discus. A third tank for the new coming Snakeskin......

Where can I find all the empty spaces to keep all the clean water for WC at 90% 2x per day?

How can you resist getting the Leopard Snakeskin fry when you know how the parents look like

http://stores.canadianaquafarm.com/b...en-pair-video/
    Last edited by eugenefish; 06-26-2018 at 06:15 PM.

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by eugenefish View Post
    Thank you Patty for your great encouragement. Those little guys (haha, they are not small anymore). Most of them had reached 3.5'' and they eat and poop a lot. They like to do the group pooping especially after I finish the WC. They are try to tell me who are the King and Queen and who is the cleaning maid ;( ;(
    Eugene,
    I noticed a group poop in post #7. If someone had told me I’d be excited about seeing brown poop coming out of a fish a couple years ago, I’d think they were nuts. Now I smile as I vacuum it up. These fish do mesmerize us don’t they? I still look at them in awe. Those leopards are incredible by the way. I’m not psychic or anything, but I think I see a fish house in your future. Ha ha.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Eugene,
    I noticed a group poop in post #7. If someone had told me I’d be excited about seeing brown poop coming out of a fish a couple years ago, I’d think they were nuts. Now I smile as I vacuum it up. These fish do mesmerize us don’t they? I still look at them in awe. Those leopards are incredible by the way. I’m not psychic or anything, but I think I see a fish house in your future. Ha ha.
    Patty
    Patty,

From the posts you wrote, I can tell you really have the passion about this hobby. Me too. I enjoy every second of it even with all the heavy labor works with them. For sure I can see my house is slowly transform into an big aquarium

One thing I don't like to see are the people whowant to keep these beautiful discus but not willing to do the proper maintenance work to make them healthy and happy. Every time I saw the sick discus from people's post or from the LFS, I feel sad and sorry for the fish.

Anyway, enough for the

There was a time I saw a post "Happy discus are messy discus". I just can't agree more once I look at my bare bottom tank

Real Name
    Patty

I think most people, like me my first round, just don’t know any better. They see them at the fish store and ask about conditions and are misinformed. Then when they start trying to figure out why their fish are sick, they find SD. They can go 1 of 2 ways then. I managed to save all but 1 of mine, ( my 1st cull) and when Phili Dubs suggested I re home them and start fresh, I was aghast! I loved my poor stunted fish, but then I did just that. Ha ha
    What tics me off is people who film videos on you tube about how to start up a discus tank and then wipe down the aquarium with dish soap on a paper towel before filling it. Let’s just say he didn’t like my comment....ha ha
    Anyway, I’m really enjoying your thread,
    Patty

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Sorry for your lost Patty. I didn't know you learn from the hard way. I guess I am so luck to find SD and learn from other good people before I get my hands wet. Too much information can be dangerous especially nowadays you can access so many wrong information by just using Google or likes you said from YouTube.

Anyway, common sense is all we need to have no matter what we do . Before I side track to other things, let talk about my well trained discus

My group of well trained discus will all hang out together very peacefully at 8pm everyday at the left hand corner of my tank and patiently waiting for me to start cleaning everything inside the tank and then WC. Once they know the fresh water is about to come in, they will all swim over to the water source on the other side of the tank. It is fun to watch. If someone saw this picture, they may say what are you doing and you are stressing out big time of your fish.

I don't think so, I think they really enjoy breathing in the fresh water. Why would I say that? By the time the fresh water reach 1/3 of the tank, they start begging for food like they haven't had any food for few days

20180628_193928.jpg
    20180628_202437.jpg

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Eugene, I have been away for a week and see you are doing very well here. The fish look great and growing very well.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Eugene, I have been away for a week and see you are doing very well here. The fish look great and growing very well.
    Pat
    Thank you Pat for your compliment. I can't wait to see when they turn into adult. At the same time, I miss their cute baby look when they were > 1" big....

20180507_212559.jpg

Real Name
    Geoff

Nice grow outs! Let’s see some more pics!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

I feel a bit sad to give away 7 of my discus to someone who will take good care of them so that I can put the best ones into my newly ready 120 gal.

14 of them were in their new home for 2 days and still a little shy.

All the sudden, the color on them start showing up. I think it is amazing to see such a big changes on such young discus (3.5 months old and 4" big) like these. I think I see all the big WC must be good on them as well as my arm too

P1.jpg

P2.jpg
    Last edited by eugenefish; 07-25-2018 at 02:14 PM.

Real Name
    Tobi

That’s some progress right there, really nice, well done. Looking forward to seeing them in the 120. Good luck finding a good home for the other 7, I’m sure you’ll find someone worthy
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Thank you Tobi for your nice comment

It is not easy to give away 7 of the discus I have since I start with them when they were 1" big.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

You get attach to them as growouts. These guys have really blossomed.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Patty

Wow, they really are getting beautiful coloring. They look so perfect! Very impressive!
    Patty

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Thank you Pat. My discus fever are getting higher and higher each day

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast