AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Linda's Contest Thread 2 - 125g Discus Tank

Registered Member

Default Re: Linda's Contest Thread 2 - 125g Discus Tank

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    What’s in that water in GA? Lol Just kidding. You must be keeping them really happy. Any idea what is causing so much mating behavior? Are you feeding them oysters? RO water? Congrats Linda
    Patty
    I'm honestly not sure why they're SO happy. I'm not playing them any romantic music, I know that much. They get 2 big water changes each week with tap water and Prime. I'm feeding twice daily with a variety of foods - Al's FDBW and discus chow, Forrest's AquaBites, and Hikari Discus Bio-Gold. I do know that these guys seem to really like tannins, and I've got that huge chunk of driftwood in there that's still leaching, so maybe that's part of it.

The first 2 pairs to match up in this tank both have wigglers now. I actually think that one of the sets might have a slim chance of making it (at least for a little while). The last time that pair spawned, they got swimmers but the babies seemed to attach to the heater guard instead of the parents. They died off slowly over a couple days. This time, the wigglers are on the front glass, away from most other dark objects in the tank. I'm interested to see if the parents can hang close enough to attract the babies. I did steal a few wigglers from each set this afternoon to try an artificial raise. We'll see how that goes.

Real Name
    Patty

Wow Linda I guess you are all in. Good luck on your raising fry adventure. Very cool stuff happening on this thread.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Registered Member

This morning, both pairs have swimmers. One set seems to be attracted to the pre-filter sponge on the intake tube. The other set seems to be attempting to hang around their parents, but mom is trying her best to stick them all back on the corner of the tank.

DSC_0127m.jpg
    You can see one baby just under dad's chin.

DSC_0134m.jpg
    One baby visible at the dorsal fin.

Registered Member

I love how mom developed a nice black halo when she darkened up for the babies!
    DSC_0131m.jpg

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by Lindad View Post
    I love how mom developed a nice black halo when she darkened up for the babies!
    DSC_0131m.jpg
    That’s a nice looking fish. Best of luck with raising the fry. What a way to end the contest. Congratulations.
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Registered Member

The babies are gone today, as expected. I don't know if they just died or were eaten. I think I may try to pull one of the pairs out and put them in a breeding tank, because they seem very determined! I don't look forward to try to catch them though, especially with several that look alike in the tank.

Overall, this tank has been a great experience! I had never had a large tank prior to this, and had never attempted a discus display tank. I think it has gone well, and I'm looking forward to continuing to work on it and seeing it evolve!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123