ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linda's Contest Thread 2 - 125g Discus Tank

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Linda's Contest Thread 2 - 125g Discus Tank

Just catching up on this thread. Very nice Linda! I think the 125 is what you really need for a good discus show tank, or more .

Registered Member

There have been a couple changes made to the 125 recently. One of these was the addition of 2 small gold nugget plecos. These little guys have already visibly grown some, so I guess they like the conditions in the tank! The second change was to move around some plants. I took the artificial plant that was floating and planted it along the left side of the wood to soften the look of that edge. I then added some water sprite to float and soften the light in the tank. The sprite really likes this tank - I have to remove handfuls of it frequently because it multiplies so quickly. I've never had water sprite grow such large, thick stems as it does in this tank - they are massive plants!
    20180729_190637_HDR m.jpg
    20180430_135629_HDR m2.jpg

Real Name
    Brian

Very nice progression on this tank!!!

Real Name
    Patty

I like the way you softened the edge of your wood piece. I liked it before but it looks even better. You’ve got a good eye.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Registered Member

I knew I had one pair of heckles that had spawned on the filter intake, but now there's a second heckle pair that has spawned on the heater cover. And, to my surprise, they both have wigglers! I may pull one pair to swap out with the 3rd heckle pair I have in a breeding tank. That pair hasn't been horribly successful, so I may try out one of the others.

Registered Member

And now I actually have swimmers in the 125 display tank.
    I hadn't paid much attention to keeping up with the wigglers and they all appeared to be gone, as I expected. This morning, one of the mamas was in the corner looking a bit dark. When I checked on her, afraid there was a problem, there were actually babies swimming around her! I'm getting ready to go out of town, so the tank will be dark and quiet for a while. It will be interesting to see if there are any left when I get back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindad View Post
    And now I actually have swimmers in the 125 display tank.
    I hadn't paid much attention to keeping up with the wigglers and they all appeared to be gone, as I expected. This morning, one of the mamas was in the corner looking a bit dark. When I checked on her, afraid there was a problem, there were actually babies swimming around her! I'm getting ready to go out of town, so the tank will be dark and quiet for a while. It will be interesting to see if there are any left when I get back.
    That is awesome ! those heckels must be doing great job as its not easy to get it to this stage in a community tank
    With so many pairs you will get very busy if you planning on saving those batches haha good luck !

Registered Member

Post-vacation update: No swimmers survived my vacation, which is not surprising. (I was surprised to get swimmers at all in this tank!) I'm still considering either pulling one of these pairs to put in a breeding tank, or just pulling a set of eggs to try artificial rearing. Discus babies are so much more work though, I'm honestly not sure if either option makes sense with my crazy schedule! I may decide to go with option 3 - just leave everything as is.

Real Name
    Tobi

Very nice tank and fish.

Regarding the water sprite, have you noticed any improvement in water quality since adding the floaters?

Tobi
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Swedgin View Post
    Very nice tank and fish.

Regarding the water sprite, have you noticed any improvement in water quality since adding the floaters?

Tobi
    Everything *seems* more stable now, and I haven't seen any of the periodic algae I was getting before adding the water sprite. That said, I don't frequently test my water, so I can't give a quantitative answer. I am assuming that the water sprite is making good use of the nitrates because I've never had such robust plants before! It has certainly met my main objective of dimming the light in the tank, and the fish and anubias seem happier with the shade that the water sprite provides.

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by Lindad View Post
    Everything *seems* more stable now, and I haven't seen any of the periodic algae I was getting before adding the water sprite. That said, I don't frequently test my water, so I can't give a quantitative answer. I am assuming that the water sprite is making good use of the nitrates because I've never had such robust plants before! It has certainly met my main objective of dimming the light in the tank, and the fish and anubias seem happier with the shade that the water sprite provides.
    Cool, thank you
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Patty

Linda, your tank just keeps getting prettier every time I see it! It’s picture perfect.
    Patty

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Linda, your tank just keeps getting prettier every time I see it! It’s picture perfect.
    Patty
    Thanks, Patty! I have to say that I'm fairly pleased with my first attempt at a larger tank (at least for the moment)!

Registered Member

And now I have a 3rd pair spawning in the tank. I'm glad they're happy, but really?!?
    Three pairs spawning at the same time doesn't leave much swimming space for the 3 loners that are left...

Real Name
    Patty

What’s in that water in GA? Lol Just kidding. You must be keeping them really happy. Any idea what is causing so much mating behavior? Are you feeding them oysters? RO water? Congrats Linda
    Patty

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast