AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus nose bleed

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

Default Discus nose bleed

So i noticed last night while feeding fdbw that one discus has what looks like an internal nose bleed. Then this am it was gone but when i fed them again today it came back as soon as he eats and then goes away until the next feed. I'm pretty certain he has not ran into anything but you never know. He does not have any damage or marks on his face. I do notice with the 13 discus there is alot of chasing and pecking here and there. So should i think he may have a bacterial infection? He is eating very good and does not act as if anything is wrong. I have never seen this before.

Sean

Default Re: Discus nose bleed

Sean, It doesn't sound like a bacterial infection. Its sound more like the fish has blood vessels close to the surface and when it gets excited they show. Sometimes discus also show red noses like that when the water quality is bad. When fish feed and shortly after ammonia is excreted and can spike. If the tank is not all the way cycled you may see responses like this. I would verify the water is good and if thats the case, I would not worry at this point.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

Hi Al
    Thankyou for your response. I check my water almost daily still as for me i am ocd about it. There is alot of waste by the end of the day. My water is actually really good and zero ammonia, zero nitrites and natrates are 10ppm. My ph is 8.2 and and i do 50% water changes everyday. I did do a fishless cycle with ammonia and let tank fully cycle before i bought my fish from Hans. The cycle for me was around 2 months. All fish including him are growing fast and are very healthy. The leopard snakeskin that quit eating is also now back in the tank with everyone else. He eats better now then he did before i did the heat treat in the hospital tank. He is now more aggressive and crazy when feeding time. After reading your response i checked my ammonia before my water change and it is truly zero. I have had these guys for around 2 months now and because they were juviniles have been on top my game as i do not want to lose or fail. I even make sure i check water before i do my water change and before i add prime or anything. I have a 120 gallon tank with a wet dry and even 2 hydro sponge filters and squeeze them out weekly. I did notice today after he ate that there was less bleeding than yesterday. It is still present when he ate today but seemed a little less. So i will keep observing him and them. I sit in fron t of them everytime i feed and try and watch one at a time to see how each one acts and eats. I definately appreciate your response and help. Feel i am still re wetting my feet. Years ago it was ro water and today it's straight tap. So feel i am kinda of a beginner again as i have not done this in 20 years plus some new meds and methods today then way back. I chose juvies over larger fish simply because i wanted the hard work associated with growing them to adults. I figure my stressing over the good and the bad will make me appreciate them more.

Sean

Sean,
    Keep up the good work. Alot of times we "keep" our fish but don't really look at them. When a hobbyist takes the time to really observe their fish they can often notice a problem starting before its bad...just remember to enjoy them too!
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

Thanks Al, i definately am enjoying them. It's fun watching their colors and paterns change as they grow.

Sean