AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus Shape carrying over to next Gen

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Default Discus Shape carrying over to next Gen

So I have a group of pigeons, very nice color and healthy as I have given them my best andy biggest ones are 5 inch at 10 months but.... Not they best shapes. My question is if I breed the best two of the group will this shape trait pass on or could I have some that can develop with the ideal shape?

Real Name
    Zac

Default Re: Discus Shape carrying over to next Gen

Whenever you breed discus their is going to be some variation in shape and size. a few may have slightly better shape than the parents which is how discus have been selectively bred to have the nice round shape we enjoy today. However, if you have 2 poorly shaped discus don't expect any fry to be top grade discus. Really, you could expect most to have around the same standard of shape or worse shape than the parents. Typically, when it comes to commercial breeders they use their very very best discus as either show or breeding stock.

It depends...If the poor shape is due to poor water quality as the fish were developing you should see better shape in their offspring if they are raised properly. If the poor shape is genetic your results will be much less good. Like Zac said, there will always be a variation in the fry. Culling and choosing the shape most pleasing to your eye is necessary in any spawn.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    It depends...If the poor shape is due to poor water quality as the fish were developing you should see better shape in their offspring if they are raised properly. If the poor shape is genetic your results will be much less good. Like Zac said, there will always be a variation in the fry. Culling and choosing the shape most pleasing to your eye is necessary in any spawn.
    Ok, good to know. The breeding pair that my group came from are Stendker with good shape. I got the offspring at 6 months of age and they had been very neglected. I culled alot and gave them proper care I. Itill be interesting to see what happens.

Real Name
    Zac

Quote Originally Posted by CANAMONSTER View Post
    Ok, good to know. The breeding pair that my group came from are Stendker with good shape. I got the offspring at 6 months of age and they had been very neglected. I culled alot and gave them proper care I. Itill be interesting to see what happens.
    Yes, if they are merely stunted due to environmental factors, like Liz said, it is not genetic so the fry should turn out nicely provided they are given the proper care.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by zhuls1 View Post
    Yes, if they are merely stunted due to environmental factors, like Liz said, it is not genetic so the fry should turn out nicely provided they are given the proper care.
    Thank you!

Real Name
    Ralph

Agree with all the above comments. Under the proper conditions and not genetic related...I would feel confident you get some possible keepers for grow-outs.
    Give it a go Mike...we need some quality Discus back in Canada.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden