ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: anubias plants leaves turning yellow

Registered Member

Default anubias plants leaves turning yellow

Hi guys was wondering if i could get some input so i recently added a few anubias plants to my tank within the last month but the last week or so ive noticed some of the leaves have been turning yellow on a few plants. Ill try to give u as much detail as i can my nitrate levels are currently 10 ppm i have a 125 gallon tank my stock is 7 adult discus all around 5.5 to 6 inches 40 cardnial tetras 30 rummy nose tetras and 3 german blue rams my lights aren't really that strong two aquatic life edge leds i have them on 8 hrs a day i currently do 50 percent water changes 5 to 6 times a week I feed 3 to 4 times a day and im using seachem flourish for ferts i heard anubias don't need many fertilizers but im running into some kind of deficiency should i add some macro nutrients like pottasium or add nitrogen i just don't want to over do it with the fertilizer and cause more issues and alage just want a simple anubias set up maybe add iron anyway heres a pic of the leave i pulled off what do you guys think do i need to start adding the macro ferts or iron or what thanks id appeciate any feedback 35649170_10211656180347100_8436055074949562368_n.jpg35540094_10211656186947265_6264285109172568064_n.jpg

Default Re: anubias plants leaves turning yellow

Were the new Anubias grown emersed (not in water) or submersed? If there is any new growth, is it healthy?

- If they were grown emersed and only the old leaves are yellowing, then things are just running their course. Nothing to worry about.

- If they were grown submersed, only the new leaves are yellowing, and the veins remain green, then they need iron.

Registered Member

i believe they were grow emersed i bought them online ill have to check from the company i got them from but i believe they were emersed should i trim the yellow leaves off and i have been getting getting a new leaf like maybe once a week would you recommend adding any ferts or is the seachem flourish enough for the anubias plants or should i add in the macro fertilizers also thanks for the response

If there's only a few, clip them off close to the rhizome. A leaf a week is pretty good for a C02-less setup, so I'd hold off on the ferts.

Registered Member

ok i guess its not on every plant i get a new leaf a week i guess for the whole set up i get maybe two to 3 plants that grow a new leaf sorry i didn't explain in correctly but thanks for the help