ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: please help

Default Re: please help

Those ingredients will treat most protozoan issues but I am not sure it is parasite Benjie. You had the wilds for 2 weeks and saw no symptoms. Usually when a fish has something like velvet they breakdown in the first week of being received because they have had their slime coat stripped off in handling.

I am not a fan of copper meds in acidic water , as they can be toxic so watch out for signs of toxicity.

If it were me, I would use NaCl salt at 1 tabelspoon per 1 US gal water. Full water changes daily and replace the salt for up to a week. If after a few days theres no improvement I would use furan 2... That would be my line of attack here. If these failed than I would consider the parasite route. Basically it comes down to how one interprets a set of symptoms that are common when discus deal with pathogens.

Good luck!

Hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Benjie

Thanks for your advice Mr. B and Liz....unfortunately we cant get Furan 2 in the UK....should i use salt alongside the copper meds? I have took ph up to 6.8 to help with the acid copper. Have seen no improvement though with using protazin after 24H. 2 of them are still in the air curtain constantly.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Benjie

Would i really have to put 145 tablespoons of salt in tank? sounds like a lot

Quote Originally Posted by benjieb View Post
    Would i really have to put 145 tablespoons of salt in tank? sounds like a lot
    It does sound like alot but discus can tolerate 1 measured tablespoon of salt (leveled off) per US gallon for days. You can cut it in half if you want to try a lesser amount. I wouldnt do this with the meds you are using.I doubt they would interact but you never know.At most I would add 1 tablespoon per 10 gals with the meds.The increased sodium will help the gills function better. The fish are in the air stream because their gills are impaired..

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Benjie

ok, amgoing to transfer them all to 50l QA tank and treat with salt and Interpet No 9....does that sound like a plan?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12