AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Young discus pair laying eggs

Registered Member

Default Young discus pair laying eggs

So Full Back story:

I started a 40 gallon (tall? 24" high, 12" deep, 32" wide) tank about 1.5 years ago. 1 year ago I put 3 discus in there along with 3 cory's, 1 royal farlowella, and 1 bolivian ram. This past late winter/early spring 2 of the discus paired off and began laying eggs regularly and became aggressive towards the 3rd discus. I sold the 3rd discus back to my lfs and they have been very happy and calm ever since... However, they have literally been laying eggs every week for 3-4 months now. The eggs at first would always turn white and eventually mold after 1-2 days.... Well today, I see some mold on half the most recent eggs, but the other half have embryos and this morning one was wiggling its way out!....... So.... What do I do? I don't have the ability to set up a second tank..... Do I just set up a divider? Will the Fry survive? I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

Registered Member

Default Re: Young discus pair laying eggs

Help!

Hey Zora,

I would say don't do anything at this point and observe how the parents are taking care of the fry. Most likely they will get eaten by your other fish or the parents itself if they don't feel it secure. If you really want a batch from them then you will need to get a separate tank for the pair. Last option will be a sponge divider inside the tank.

Registered Member

Ok, I unfortunately will have no room for a separate bare bottom breeder tank until I move (most likely this time next year). Will it stress my discus pair out to be constantly starting the parenting process over again? Or do they not care? Also, will they just constantly lay eggs every week for ever, or are their breeding periods?