ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus laying eggs, eggs are hatching, what do I do?

Registered Member

Default Discus laying eggs, eggs are hatching, what do I do?

I started a 40 gallon (tall? 24" high, 12" deep, 32" wide) tank about 1.5 years ago. 1 year ago I put 3 discus in there along with 3 cory's, 1 royal farlowella, and 1 bolivian ram. This past late winter/early spring 2 of the discus paired off and began laying eggs regularly and became aggressive towards the 3rd discus. I sold the 3rd discus back to my lfs and they have been very happy and calm ever since... However, they have literally been laying eggs every week for 3-4 months now. The eggs at first would always turn white and eventually mold after 1-2 days.... Well today, I see some mold on half the most recent eggs, but the other half have embryos and this morning one was wiggling its way out!....... So.... What do I do? I don't have the ability to set up a second tank..... Do I just set up a divider? Will the Fry survive? I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Discus laying eggs, eggs are hatching, what do I do?

Hi KZ and congratulations on getting wigglers. That means you have a confirmed pair and not two females, which sometimes happens. If you want to breed and raise fry, you really need to have a dedicated tank for the pair and fry. Others in the tank will view the fry as food if they get a chance. This also helps in maintaining a clean environment for them. Some folks will pre-treat their water with a mild formalin treatment in anticipation of a spawn, to help prevent fungus. If the wigglers attach to the parents successfully, then you'll need to start planning to raise baby brine shrimp for them. They'll be looking for something like that probably in about a week. Eventually, a few weeks in, you'll need to remove the parents, who will be getting tired of the fry on them. On top of this, the fry will need frequent, usually daily water changes to clean up uneaten food and keep the water clean enough for them. They're very susceptible to ammonia and pathogens at this point. So, it's kind of a big production, and you need to be committed to it if you're going to be successful. Not everyone wants to do that. You could just enjoy the show and let nature take its course. The fry will disappear and they'll start over. I'd recommend reading lots in the breeding section to see what others have done. Good luck.