AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Levamisole Dosing

Default Levamisole Dosing

So I bought 100% pure levamisole (AngelsPlus) but very little is indicated in regard to instructions other than 1/4 teaspoon per 100 gals. (378.5 l.) of water. Perform a 50% water change after 48 hours.

Unfortunately I would prefer dosing in by weight and not by volume as weight is much more precise, but AngelsPlus has told me that they are only given the dosing instructions from their suppliers by volume and not weight.

Can anyone shed a little more light on dosing this. Should I turn off my UV sterilizers, and so on? Does it affect plants, nitrification, etc. ?

Thanks,

Stu

Default Re: Levamisole Dosing

You should turn off your UV sterilizers. Levamisole is a light-sensitive drug. Turn off lights when you dose. I don't see much literature for Levamisole dosing in fish so I'd guess that's just based on experience. Therapeutic effects can varied depends on fish species as well.

1/4 teaspoon is the equivalence of 1.25mL. Not sure what formulation of Levamisole we are using for fish but the density of Levamisole HCl is 1.31 g/mL. The exact conversion to weight for Levamisole HCl is 1.6375g per 100 gals. You can also do a science experience to figure out its exact density of the levamisole as well. Get a 10mL graduated cylinder and fill it to the 10mL mark with levamisole, then dump it on a sensitive weight scale and measure its weight. Use the weight and divide by 10 to get the density in g/mL. Multiply by 1.25mL to get the conversion to 1/4 teaspoon.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

I measured 1/4 teaspoon of the same powder several times and it weighed 1.00 gram, and then wrote that on the container. So the dose is...

1000 mg into 100 gallons

= 10 mg per gallon

= 2.64 mg per liter

= 2.64 ppm of Levamisole

If you use a scale, the easiest way to state the dose is 10 mg per gallon.

I don't remember seeing any problems with plants or biofilter.

A good link:
    https://www.loaches.com/Members/shar...ydrochloride-1

read this article for instructions https://www.loaches.com/Members/shar...drochloride-1/
    Jerry Baer
    it's just a box of rain

Thank everyone. I'm glad I have this Forum and all the excellent information and experience of those on it.