AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Power Consumption

Registered Member

Default Power Consumption

Hi all I was just wondering how much power do u think it cost u too run your tank . I have a 75g with 29g sump with a Neptune apex with core 20 return pump running around 500watts of heat in it . I also have a 50g holding tank for aged water to do my water changes with. 300 watt heater in it to heat the water . My wife is mad lol because of are power bill . With my calculations my tank and 50g holding tank I use $3.09 a day for power 😐 or around a 100 a month to me that don’t sound right . What Do u think yours cost to run?

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Power Consumption

There must be an "energy calculator" in your area.Google your local power company to find it.Here is what ours looks like. https://www.nspower.ca/en/home/for-m...alculator.aspxFish aquariums are under "miscellaneous".

Registered Member

How much kwh are you using, once you are over your tier usage the price can double or even triple per kwh. Price for
    electric generally cheaper before 1pm
    so using the high electric usage appliances in the mornings will save
    some cost. If you are using over 1000kwh
    per month the utility can put you on
    a cheaper rate schedule. Commerical
    business run a TOU(time of use)meter
    for a cheaper rate when they are open for
    business.

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 06-26-2018 at 02:53 PM.

Heaters aren't always on, so wattage on those can be deceptive. Insulation on tanks/water storage can also do wonders.

Registered Member

That does sound like a lot. Where do you live?
    Depends where you live. I live in CT. which has one of the highest rates in the country.
    I have a 2- 75gal with 300 watts in each and a 30 with 150 w. Also, a Alita 15.
    I'm paying about 30$ a month , little less in summer, little more in winter.
    Jay

Registered Member

Use a Kill-A-Watt or similar device. Even some smartplugs have energy monitoring as well.

In the winter, heat from the aquarium warms the house. But in the summer the AC works harder to eliminate the heat and humidity.

Registered Member

Maybe $15 extra a month for a 29 gallon breeding tank and 75 gallon display tank. I don't heat my aged water for more than 24 hours, so I avoid spending money constantly heating aging water. Some people heat their aging barrels 24/7 which becomes very expensive.