ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Can this pair give WB Babies

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Vasanth

Default Can this pair give WB Babies

Hi,

I got 2 Pure White butterfly but the Male Shows spawning behaviour but the female dont show for past 6 months.

So Im planning to move this White Butterfly male to cross With the pigeon.

Is it good cross?

Will i get any WhiteButterfly from this Pair?

If Not, Pls tel me some good strain to cross this WB to maintain the lineage.

I Feel the WB is of Good Quality. Tats y im Interested in it.

If any expert have good knowledge about White Butterfly, Help me out.
    IMG_7007.jpg
    IMG_7220.jpg

Regards,
    Vasanth

Registered Member

Default Re: Can this pair give WB Babies

i think you get something like this and few maybe be clean http://www.ualberta.ca/~gdegreef/gallery/discus18.jpg

Real Name
    Steve

Hi Vasanth,
    The WB is also a PB, so that's a good start. White is also dominant in basic crosses. The WB is probably the result of line breeding, selection for the solid white. I suspect the fry would be a mix of more of less patterned fish with lots of white. I would be surprised if you get any or many solid whites. That might take another generation. Another down side is that the background genetic traits they have in common might be what present themselves, rather than the selected traits of either strain. Peppering can be an issue there, althought they both look very clean. I've done some breeding, but his is just my understanding, not the result of direct experience with this kind of cross.
    They look like nice fish. I think they could produce some nice PBs.
    Steve

Tuterosso is incorrect because as Steve said a WB is also a PB.

It takes generations of breeding to get a WB as white as yours. Renenber, the large breeders have tons of fish to select from. Even if two very white ones were bred together many of the offspring would be patterned to various degrees.

Both of your fish are very nice and like Steve said should give you some good looking kids. Just don't hold your breath for solid white.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Crossing with the Red Pigeon would not give you WB. I have cross Cary Strongs
    WB with an albino with an outcome of
    clean no pepper Discus but no albino eyes.

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 06-29-2018 at 01:43 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Vasanth

Thank you all for ur inputs.

I Will try to purchase any other WB Female to that male.

Lets c wat my luck Will be.

Vasanth

Picking a good quality white butterfly would be your best bet here for a large percentage of white butterflies. If you are in no rush though and wish to experiment. You can try crossing that wb with either a blue diamond or good quality cobalt. The cross would be pb x non pb and you will most likely get a fair degree of peppered fry but you may also get some nice white butterflies.

We often read that its not good to cross pigeons with non pigeons as the fry are more often than not really peppered and dirty.. White Butterflies were derrived from this cross though and then selectively bred.

Ironically though you can get some nice wbs in a f1 fry group from a pb x non pb cross depending on the parents genetics. We had a member, Green Country Discus, Andrew and Angela that documented this well here...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...r-get-tired-of

Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 07-03-2018 at 09:17 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Picking a good quality white butterfly would be your best bet here for a large percentage of white butterflies. If you are in no rush though and wish to experiment. You can try crossing that wb with either a blue diamond or good quality cobalt. The cross would be pb x non pb and you will most likely get a fair degree of peppered fry but you may also get some nice white butterflies.

We often read that its not good to cross pigeons with non pigeons as the fry are more often than not really peppered and dirty.. White Butterflies were derrived from this cross though and then selectively bred.

Ironically though you can get some nice wbs in a f1 fry group from a pb x non pb cross depending on the parents genetics. We had a member, Green Country Discus, Andrew and Angela that documented this well here...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...r-get-tired-of

Al
    Wow Al! thanks for sharing the thread. That just inspired me to experiment a Cobalt and a Silver pigeon that are currently trying to pair up in my big tank I will have to start a new thread.

Vasanth both are good looking fish you got there, worth the try Good Luck!