ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Noob Discus Question

Registered Member

Default Noob Discus Question

Hello,

First off, what a great forum and resource!

In preparation for my first discus tank, I have a couple questions. I am planning to add 6-8 juvenile Discus to a 75G tank.

1) Do you HAVE TO separate the bonding pair if/when you have one? Or can they live in the same tank with other Discus and still spawn?

2) Are there any visible signs of bonding to someone with no experience with Discus?

Now back to the forum to read more!

Thank you so much.

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Noob Discus Question

Hi Gorgin and welcome to Simply Discus.
    Given what you've told us, there's probably more questions than answers, or at least advice.

First we recommend newbies watch this video put together by Al, the forum owner. I offers good advice for beginners, and tries to dispel some common myths about keeping discus.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...TCH-THIS-VIDEO!

If you will have juvies, you are probably at least 6 months away from worrying about pairs, but yes, they can get along, although it won't be the appropriate breeding environment. Pairs will "shimmy" and make passes at each other when they're in the mood.

I encourage you to read up abit in the beginner and breeding sections. Sounds like you're just getting started and getting a bigger picture would be a good idea.

But keep asking questions, and we love pics.

Steve

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Hi Gorgin and welcome to Simply Discus.
    Given what you've told us, there's probably more questions than answers, or at least advice.

First we recommend newbies watch this video put together by Al, the forum owner. I offers good advice for beginners, and tries to dispel some common myths about keeping discus.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...TCH-THIS-VIDEO!

If you will have juvies, you are probably at least 6 months away from worrying about pairs, but yes, they can get along, although it won't be the appropriate breeding environment. Pairs will "shimmy" and make passes at each other when they're in the mood.

I encourage you to read up abit in the beginner and breeding sections. Sounds like you're just getting started and getting a bigger picture would be a good idea.

But keep asking questions, and we love pics.

Steve
    Thanks for the reply Steve. I appreciate it.

I've been reading the forums and watching videos for a few weeks now. I also watched Al's video last night and it cleared up a lot of my questions. However, as I get closer to actually owning my first discus, random questions come to mind and I turn to the experience of forum members such as yourself.

I will ask more questions if I cannot find the answers on the forum already.

Cheers.

Real Name
    Patty

Hi Gorgin,
    Your question about visible bonding: They definitely show bonding behavior that’s obvious even to someone new to discus. I’m not going to spoil that for you. It’s like someone telling you the ending of a movie while you’re standing in line to buy a ticket! Welcome to SD. I will tell you that you will also show obvious signs of bonding to your discus. There’s no other fish like them.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Hi Gorgin,
    Your question about visible bonding: They definitely show bonding behavior that’s obvious even to someone new to discus. I’m not going to spoil that for you. It’s like someone telling you the ending of a movie while you’re standing in line to buy a ticket! Welcome to SD. I will tell you that you will also show obvious signs of bonding to your discus. There’s no other fish like them.
    Patty
    Thanks Patty. I look forward to my first Discus tank

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Hi and welcome to SD. You are on the right track asking questions about whatever doubts you may have. Do not hesitate to lay out your entire planned setup, tank, equipment, tap water parameters, water changing schedule and equipment, where you may get your fish from and what you are planning to feed them. Here I have found a multitude of experienced discus-keeping who have taken the time to give me advice that has proved invaluable in allowing me to avoid at least the major pitfalls. The less trouble you have to battle the more you will enjoy your discus.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    Hi and welcome to SD. You are on the right track asking questions about whatever doubts you may have. Do not hesitate to lay out your entire planned setup, tank, equipment, tap water parameters, water changing schedule and equipment, where you may get your fish from and what you are planning to feed them. Here I have found a multitude of experienced discus-keeping who have taken the time to give me advice that has proved invaluable in allowing me to avoid at least the major pitfalls. The less trouble you have to battle the more you will enjoy your discus.
    Thank you. I appreciate the support.

Cheers