AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: C02 Shortage - Alternatives

Registered Member

Default C02 Shortage - Alternatives

Hi guys, although not relevant to those outside the UK we are facing a problem getting hold of C02 no supplier will provide it for fish, the next thing will be no RO due to a drought!! Anyway, my tank has been flourishing perfectly over the past 6 weeks or so using the C02 and wondered about members experiences with liquid carbon and the sort of dosages needed to replace the injected C02 whilst this crisis is non. Given the large water changes I make, circa 35 - 50% daily, and the high density of the plants, mainly swords (root fertilized anyway), ferns and anubias, how much is enough as the guidelines on the bottles is weekly which infers that they don't take into account water changes? B

Real Name
    Julian

Default Re: C02 Shortage - Alternatives

Yes I heard it on the radio, they were limiting the amount of beers at the pubs to two pints per customer, in the UK no CO2 no fizz for beers, I guess was poor planning most plants decide to do maintenance in the Summer.
    You can always do the old fashion way with yeast and sugar. it is mostly recommend for smaller tanks, but you , can make several bottles, at the end is better than nothing
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.

Registered Member

My tank is 570 Litres and has dense foliage I don't think home brew will suffice on this occasion I was more interested on members experiences with forms of liquid carbon and it's efficacy? The country can go without crumpets and beer but don't ruin my planted tank....

Real Name
    Filip

I have used liquid Carbon dosing Easy-Carbo product in my tanks in the past . I have also used pressurized co2 and yeast bottle method .
    My experience is that pressurized co2 comes first , Diy yeast as a second and liquid dosing as a third and least effective replacement method for co2 .
    On the planted tank forums you can find some info that it is not even a real co2 replacement but only an algaecide (glytaraldehide being its main ingredient , if I'm not mistaken ).
    Its certainly better than dosing nothing but its effectiveness can not be compared with actual injecting of co2 .

I would make a combination of liquid co2 dosing along with a DIY yeast method IIWY .
    That would be better co2 substitution than just using one method.
    Maybe lowering the light will also help by slowing
    down the plants growth and demand for co2 .
    Please share a photo of your planted tank with us branch , I always enjoy a good planted tank
    Last edited by Filip; 07-09-2018 at 09:44 AM.

Registered Member

Hi Filip great to hear from you again hope all is well with your tank. The problem is, as per my post heading, that there's no C02 in the UK especially not for fish keepers due to mass shortages after many plants have shut for repair work. I have a great system with monitors and PH controllers etc but it's empty and has no gas. Not sure about how to build a DIY system hence my query about dosing the tank with liquid C02 for the short term?

Unfortunately I can't upload photos on to this platform but please feel free to PM me on ajq430@gmail.com and I'll send you some.

Branch

Real Name
    Filip

Its very easy to make a yeast co2 from a 2 liter plastic Cola bottle . You put sugar yeast and water in the botlle and fix a tube to transport the gas to the aquarium . You can even make a single bottle system that goes directly in the tank .
    You will quickly learn to adjust the co2 bubble rate by changing the ratios of Sugar and yeast (more yeast quicker reaction and more co2 bubbles per second ).

Here are some pics and video on how its done :

https://www.google.com/search?q=diy+...iw=360&bih=559

Video :

https://youtu.be/wueKmGCtEOA

Registered Member

Smile Re: C02 Shortage - Alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Its very easy to make a yeast co2 from a 2 liter plastic Cola bottle . You put sugar yeast and water in the botlle and fix a tube to transport the gas to the aquarium . You can even make a single bottle system that goes directly in the tank .
    You will quickly learn to adjust the co2 bubble rate by changing the ratios of Sugar and yeast (more yeast quicker reaction and more co2 bubbles per second ).

ere are some pics and video on how its done :

https://www.google.com/search?q=diy+...iw=360&bih=559

Video :

https://youtu.be/wueKmGCtEOA
    Thank you Filip will probably end up brewing beer....

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Metricide 14 is the cheap version of the liquid carbon. I think it makes a difference compared to no supplementation but I've never used injected CO2 so I can't say how effective it is compared to that method. Can you buy a CO2 fire extinguisher? I believe they can be used in a pinch. Otherwise sugar and yeast or ration your CO2 bottles.

I have used the diy yeast as co2 source.. Ive done a bit of diy homebrew you might guess. It works but is hard to regulate.

If you want to generate co2 though you might want to play around with sodium bicarbonate and vinegar. Both components are dirt cheap and common. The problem is you need to figure out how to contain the gas and regulate it. It also tends to be a quick reaction. It might work better though if you used vinegar and a solid source of calcium carbonate like limestone and vinegar.That would slow down the reaction a bit...just a thought.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Rob

I use TNC Carbon instead of pressurised, and it provides dosage by the day...

Registered Member

I was under the impression that we had an over abundance of co2, causing all
    sorts of havoc with our "warming" How can this shortage happen?
    Perplexed.
    Jay