ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Bush Algae

Default Black Bush Algae

I cant find the place to ask this question so I'll ask it here. It can always be moved...

I have black bush algae. Pleco's don't eat it. Since I share nets and WC equipment among all the tanks I have it growing in many tanks now. When it gets bad I use a razor to scrape it off the sides of the tank and do a huge WC. I have used Clorox on heater cords, and lift tubes. Yesterday I even gave a sponge that it was growing on heavily a Clorox treatment.

I know that it can survive a heavy PP treatment of the fish. It's some tough stuff. Any one know how to get rid of it other than emptying the tanks and sterilizing everything in them including the sponges? If there is a fish that will eat it it has to be compatible with Discus and Angels.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Default Re: Black Bush Algae

Flying fox do .. not 100% positive they are compatible with Discus

I guess I'll just have to manage with the razor blade for now. One day soon, I hope to have few enough tanks in use that I can move fish, sterilize them and their sponges and anything that came in contact with the dang stuff.
    It will be a job reseeding so many sponges, but not a terrible job so few tanks in use.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Matt

You can double dose with Seachem flourish excel and that will kill it, BUT you need to be there as sometimes (rarely) it will reduce the oxygen level and mildly impact fish slime coat.

Recommend you single dose for 15 mins, then increase to double slowly over the next 30 mins.

This is the most common and effective method to manage black beard.

We are lucky in Australia that we also have a local product made specifically for it.

My algae is black bush. Will what works for black beard work on black bush as well? Turning up the air and keeping an eye on the tanks is no big deal.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Matt

Sorry - same thing I believe, just called black beard down the bottom end of the world. It is symptomatic of high oxygen low CO2 environments. You can also drop your water level and paint it on with a small paint brush (only needs 30 seconds this way). You will see it turn purple over the next few hours and then will start to die over a few days.

Thank you much, Matt.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Filip

You can also try the 3% Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2 ) bath Liz . It is dosed straight in the tank in 4 Mg per gallon dose for 20 min followed by a big WC . Filters should be off since it can be harsh on BB (and some fish too , just like a strong PP bath- since its oxidizer too ) just using a pump for water circulation .
    Spraying the algae directly on dry during wcs also burns them .

Other method to try is a 5-6 day blackout . All algae just like all plants are light dependant and die off if kept in total darkness(tanks covered with blankets ) for more than 4 -5 days .

SAE fish -siamese algae eaters are efficient in eating BBA but they have to be young and hungry to do their job .
    Last edited by Filip; 07-10-2018 at 04:01 AM.

Real Name
    Mervin

I've done the excel and H2O2 and both work for a while.I find Siamese Algae Eaters (SAE) to do the best job,but not the flying foxes as mentioned.They are non stop cleaners when they're small;after they reach about 4-6 inches they become lazy and look for hand outs,which is time to replace them.I have had them with discus without issues.This is what I still use to deal with bush algae.I've even seen them recycle poop.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Another vote for Excel or Metricide 14. With the metricide 14 I use 5 mL/day on a 100 gallon tank (when I think of it). Best bet would be to scrap with the WC then hit the remainder with a eye dropper or syringe of the stuff neat. I find that once it is dying then BN will eat it. If you spot treat during WC then dose the tank and have BN in the tank you should be able to eradicate it.

Great advice from everyone. I never thought that I could beat this stuff but it looks like I can. Thanks to all.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 07-10-2018 at 01:20 PM. Reason: typo
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Matt

To anyone using the Excel method - just keep an eye on BN as they can be very sensitive to Excel in high doses

Thanks for letting me know, Matt. Is the same thing true if I use the Seachem stuff? If so I can move the BN. I'm only going to do one tank at a time.

I also have a few plants in pots. Will the treatment hurt them? I don't figure that it will, but I want to know sooner rather than find out later that if this will kill them along with the black beard algae.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Matt

It must be Seachem flourish EXCEL.
    It can damage plants if they are very soft, especially vallisneria or crypts. Swords and anubias will be fine. One option is just to remove all the fish for a few hours and then do a massive water change.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary Johnson

Yeah No More Blackbeard is just concentrated liquid carbon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast