AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Breeding Pair Not Feeding

Registered Member
    Real Name
    peter

Default Breeding Pair Not Feeding

I have a very prolific breeding pair. I know they are a pair because they have layed eggs several times in the last 6 months. The eggs hatch and when they become free swimming they do not feed off of the parents. This is very frustrating. Any thoughts?

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Breeding Pair Not Feeding

What kind of discus are they?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    peter

Discus0712.jpg

Not great at strains. Here is the male

Real Name
    Brian

That's why I asked. Newly hatched discus don't have real good eyesight and rely on the parents turning dark in order to find them and feed. PB's don't darken, making it difficult for the fry to find them.

What size tank are they in? What kind of filtration? My pairs are in 20g tanks. In the past, I have tried lowering the water level and keeping the lights off. A few days ago, I was reading a very old thread (Can't find it now) and someone said they removed the sponge filter for a few days until the fry attached, and someone else recommended placing a white sock or pantyhose over the filter.

Real Name
    Brian

Registered Member
    Real Name
    peter

in a 20 gal with a hang on back filter and a sponge filter. When they spawn i remove the hang on back.

Registered Member

Any twitching from the parents?

Cliff

Registered Member
    Real Name
    peter

I think so yes.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    peter

Ok so by end of the day I should have free swimming fry. It is a decent sized batch. I would say about 50 wrigglers. I lowered the water in the tank to about half(20 gal high) I cut the tube on the spong filter so that I have some oxygen exchange. I decided to turn on the light as well, hopeing that the fry will find the parents. Intrestingly the fry look very dark. Previous batches from the same pair looked light in color, almost translucent. These are almost black. The eggs have always been the same color. they are orange.

Wish me luck............

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by lincontoes View Post
    Ok so by end of the day I should have free swimming fry. It is a decent sized batch. I would say about 50 wrigglers. I lowered the water in the tank to about half(20 gal high) I cut the tube on the spong filter so that I have some oxygen exchange. I decided to turn on the light as well, hopeing that the fry will find the parents. Intrestingly the fry look very dark. Previous batches from the same pair looked light in color, almost translucent. These are almost black. The eggs have always been the same color. they are orange.

Wish me luck............
    The dark color is the eggs sac, the fry are eating off of the sac until free swimming.

Cliff