pic of month     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 22 of 22

Thread: New discus keeper needing help

  1. #16
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    18
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: New discus keeper needing help

    Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Adult discus tend to be hardier then young ones.And if they are grown you have less impact from aggressively feeding angels.

    al
    Ok i understand now, maybe i will let them grow then try adding angels.

    Quote Originally Posted by daffers1986 View Post
    If Iím growing discus they are the only thing in the tank other than water. No filter taking up any space, nothing to hide behind to cause issues with shyness, no other fish to compete for food or introduce disease. Nothing.

    Once adult, thereís no big deal with them missing out on a feed here and there because they havenít competed for the food. But I personally wouldnít ever put Angels with discus for the reasons Iíve mentioned but if I did it would probably be juvie angels with adult discus but would still expect the angels to try and run the tank once bigger/older.
    Yeah i can also see that happening as angels are pretty aggresive when feeding time comes. Doesnt seem to be as easy as i thought It would be.

    Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Topdog , aged water is tapwater that is left with an aeration for 24 hours prior using it for water change . Gasses in water that may cause irritations to discus are outgassed that way and the PH differences is equalized (more or less )with your tank water preventing pH shocks during WCs.
    I'm not sure if your filter is fully cycled yet , and I would increase the aged water WC in this initial stage just as a precaution IIWY.
    That would be alot of extra work to age 300litres of water every other day for water changes :-/

  2. #17
    Moderator Team Filip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Macedonia-Europe
    Posts
    3,120
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Filip

    Default Re: New discus keeper needing help

    In most cases doing +50% WCs with straight tap water may stress discus and strip their slimecoat during a WC (more or less depending on tap parameters and present gasses ) .
    Maybe you should consider doing more frequent but smaller WCs if you do straight tap WC .

  3. #18
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    24
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: New discus keeper needing help

    Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    In most cases doing +50% WCs with straight tap water may stress discus and strip their slimecoat during a WC (more or less depending on tap parameters and present gasses ) .
    Maybe you should consider doing more frequent but smaller WCs if you do straight tap WC .
    For balance. At least 50% water changes every day, with no issues around slime coat, straight out of the tap. This is with my tap water but I have done the same in different areas of the country. If growing discus, I would suggest this as a minimum, or a constant drip feed system that equates to the same amount.

  4. #19
    Administrator brewmaster15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Northford,CT,USA
    Posts
    22,340
    Blog Entries
    5
    iTrader
    218 (100%)

    Default Re: New discus keeper needing help

    Quote Originally Posted by daffers1986 View Post
    For balance. At least 50% water changes every day, with no issues around slime coat, straight out of the tap. This is with my tap water but I have done the same in different areas of the country. If growing discus, I would suggest this as a minimum, or a constant drip feed system that equates to the same amount.
    Are you on a well or city water?
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!


    >>>>>We really could use your support. Please DONATE HERE Thanks!


    Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

  5. #20
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    24
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: New discus keeper needing help

    Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Are you on a well or city water?
    City water. Uk. From tap to tank to 7 inch fish.

  6. #21
    Administrator brewmaster15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Northford,CT,USA
    Posts
    22,340
    Blog Entries
    5
    iTrader
    218 (100%)

    Default Re: New discus keeper needing help

    Quote Originally Posted by daffers1986 View Post
    City water. Uk. From tap to tank to 7 inch fish.



    You are very lucky then. If I did 50% water changes straight from my tap, I'd seriously stress my discus out and lose a few juvies...Far too much dissolved gasses in my well water.CO2. My tap has a pH of 5.5 winter 6.5 summer... aerated and aged its settles at 7.6-7.8

    I would love to see pics someday of your fish and tanks nothing like a tank of big discus. I see you are new here...Belated Welcome! We have a tank journal area and photo sections if you feel like sharing..

    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!


    >>>>>We really could use your support. Please DONATE HERE Thanks!


    Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

  7. #22
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    24
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: New discus keeper needing help

    Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    You are very lucky then. If I did 50% water changes straight from my tap, I'd seriously stress my discus out and lose a few juvies...Far too much dissolved gasses in my well water.CO2. My tap has a pH of 5.5 winter 6.5 summer... aerated and aged its settles at 7.6-7.8

    I would love to see pics someday of your fish and tanks nothing like a tank of big discus. I see you are new here...Belated Welcome! We have a tank journal area and photo sections if you feel like sharing..

    al
    Iíve never experienced having to use well water but I sympathise given what you described there. Weíre pretty lucky over here, although hardness can vary, the water is very stable so as long as you donít mess with it chemically it is a very straight forward process.

    Thanks for the welcome! I havenít worked out how to upload pics using my phone but when I go on the comp, Iíll head over to that area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

pic of month             AquaticSuppliers.com