AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New discus keeper needing help

Registered Member

Default Re: New discus keeper needing help

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Adult discus tend to be hardier then young ones.And if they are grown you have less impact from aggressively feeding angels.

al
    Ok i understand now, maybe i will let them grow then try adding angels.

Quote Originally Posted by daffers1986 View Post
    If I’m growing discus they are the only thing in the tank other than water. No filter taking up any space, nothing to hide behind to cause issues with shyness, no other fish to compete for food or introduce disease. Nothing.

Once adult, there’s no big deal with them missing out on a feed here and there because they haven’t competed for the food. But I personally wouldn’t ever put Angels with discus for the reasons I’ve mentioned but if I did it would probably be juvie angels with adult discus but would still expect the angels to try and run the tank once bigger/older.
    Yeah i can also see that happening as angels are pretty aggresive when feeding time comes. Doesnt seem to be as easy as i thought It would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Topdog , aged water is tapwater that is left with an aeration for 24 hours prior using it for water change . Gasses in water that may cause irritations to discus are outgassed that way and the PH differences is equalized (more or less )with your tank water preventing pH shocks during WCs.
    I'm not sure if your filter is fully cycled yet , and I would increase the aged water WC in this initial stage just as a precaution IIWY.
    That would be alot of extra work to age 300litres of water every other day for water changes :-/

Real Name
    Filip

In most cases doing +50% WCs with straight tap water may stress discus and strip their slimecoat during a WC (more or less depending on tap parameters and present gasses ) .
    Maybe you should consider doing more frequent but smaller WCs if you do straight tap WC .

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    In most cases doing +50% WCs with straight tap water may stress discus and strip their slimecoat during a WC (more or less depending on tap parameters and present gasses ) .
    Maybe you should consider doing more frequent but smaller WCs if you do straight tap WC .
    For balance. At least 50% water changes every day, with no issues around slime coat, straight out of the tap. This is with my tap water but I have done the same in different areas of the country. If growing discus, I would suggest this as a minimum, or a constant drip feed system that equates to the same amount.

For balance. At least 50% water changes every day, with no issues around slime coat, straight out of the tap. This is with my tap water but I have done the same in different areas of the country. If growing discus, I would suggest this as a minimum, or a constant drip feed system that equates to the same amount.
    Are you on a well or city water?
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Are you on a well or city water?
    City water. Uk. From tap to tank to 7 inch fish.

City water. Uk. From tap to tank to 7 inch fish.

You are very lucky then. If I did 50% water changes straight from my tap, I'd seriously stress my discus out and lose a few juvies...Far too much dissolved gasses in my well water.CO2. My tap has a pH of 5.5 winter 6.5 summer... aerated and aged its settles at 7.6-7.8

I would love to see pics someday of your fish and tanks nothing like a tank of big discus. I see you are new here...Belated Welcome! We have a tank journal area and photo sections if you feel like sharing..

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

You are very lucky then. If I did 50% water changes straight from my tap, I'd seriously stress my discus out and lose a few juvies...Far too much dissolved gasses in my well water.CO2. My tap has a pH of 5.5 winter 6.5 summer... aerated and aged its settles at 7.6-7.8

I would love to see pics someday of your fish and tanks nothing like a tank of big discus. I see you are new here...Belated Welcome! We have a tank journal area and photo sections if you feel like sharing..

al
    I’ve never experienced having to use well water but I sympathise given what you described there. We’re pretty lucky over here, although hardness can vary, the water is very stable so as long as you don’t mess with it chemically it is a very straight forward process.

Thanks for the welcome! I haven’t worked out how to upload pics using my phone but when I go on the comp, I’ll head over to that area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12