AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Need recommendations for water change

Registered Member

Default Need recommendations for water change

Hi guys,

So I decided to stop using seachem discus buffer to bring down my pH tap water to 7. My tap water I measure before aeration is 8.2 and after aeration is 8.6 . The seachem said 5 grams to treat 10-20 gallons daily untill intended pH is reached, I gotta use 80 grams for 35 gallons every time when I age my water, and 80 grams is a lot of chemical right there in my opinion. Currently, my tank pH is at 6.9, my question is should I start doing 20% water change ( without discus buffer ) until my tank pH raises back like tap water pH? or should I use seachem discus buffer to adjust the pH from 7 to 8.6 slowly day by day in order to not stress the fish? My fish are doing fine in the tank, they still eat and poop normally, except one with white poop which I'm a little concerned! Thinking about going API general cure for it. Thanks guys
    Last edited by mr_rgb; 07-13-2018 at 08:45 PM.

Default Re: Need recommendations for water change

I would just start doing your water changes and over time the buffer will be removed. I think moving away from the buffer is a good call. Your fish should adjust fine to the higher pH.

If I had absolutely had to lower my pH in water like yours I would use an Ro water filter to temove some of those minerals and do water changes with a mix of RO water.and Tap.

Discus Buffer is really not a great solution imo.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

As for the white feces... If you are thinking of trying metronidazole, Jehmco.com has pure metro.Its very reasonably priced and good quality.
    hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Brewmaster,

Thanks for your advice. I'll contact Jehmco for the metro, the sick fish hasn't eaten for a week already, I'm gonna start dosing some API which I have currently.