ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: How many floods before I become a master aquarist?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

Wink How many floods before I become a master aquarist?

Hello guys,

Last night I just flooded my floor during WC, again, 2nd time in the past week

It's the 4th time this year.
    Btw, I DID SET THE TIMER ON MY PHONE, but chose to ignore it lol.

Say, how many times do I have to flood my house in order to be qualified as PRO/master aquarist?

And how many times did you guys/gals flood your floor this year?

ps. my saving grace = non-carpet floor.

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: How many floods before I become a master aquarist?

You are headed to win the master of disaster title here Cyrus .
    I have luckily never flooded my living room during a WC refill but I had a couple of floods on my bathroom floor during the tank siphoning , leaving the bathroom floor full of fish poop and fine sand all over the place .
    I grab the towels in a hurry when this happens and I try to clean it up as quick as possible before my wife gets to see the mess
    I also always got towels laying under the tank stand hood that I use for drops of water and mini splashes here and there during my maintenance .

Real Name
    Matt

I know that feeling. Just blame one of the kids or the dog for distracting you.

I flood twice a week on average. I even buckled a wood floor once. I think that I should get the award.
    Mama Bear

I can't tell you how many times I flooded the floors. Im a master of multitasking 99%of the time...its that 1% though that causes me the head aches!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

You collect dumber and dumber reasons why as the years go on. My best one yet was watching the tank fill as it overflowed. Too busy watching some cories do the spawning shimmy.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

I put an alarm next to my sump which saved me from a mess more than once.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Hi Cyrus,

If you haven't try out growing up groups of baby fry, then you are missing out all the chances of practicing daily WC. I have my group of 21 fry for almost 4 months and I did 2X 90% WC everyday and didn't even miss one. I can do WC even with my eyes closed

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

I have regular "minor" floods on a weekly basis, usually either from the bucket overfilling during syphoning or while refilling the ageing bins. On the other hand I have at least 1 or 2 "major" (10s of gallons, easily up to 50) floods every year. Usually these are caused by some critter (most often a new rescue dog) yanking a filter hose loose (if not chewing through it) from one of the tanks. Thankfully the wife is very forgiving (as long as the fish are safe and I do the cleaning up) and our floors are all tiled

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

WOW

You know that you are in the right community with great people when you realized how great flooders (is that a word?) they are!

and for some reasons, these 2 made me literally lol in the middle of my office.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I flood twice a week on average. I even buckled a wood floor once. I think that I should get the award.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    You collect dumber and dumber reasons why as the years go on. My best one yet was watching the tank fill as it overflowed. Too busy watching some cories do the spawning shimmy.

On a rather serious note though, the thing that made me worried most is not the wet floors or bloated IKEAs,
    but it was the moment I panicked and just walked right through the flooded floor and do some stupid stuff right away
    (that not actually going to make things better,,,mind me) without a proper way to double check if the water is safe from electricity.

Can I just take a look at the fish in the tank as a measure?
    Like, if they are still swimming, then kinda safe from electric shock?
    Last edited by snxtif; 07-16-2018 at 10:25 PM.

I think that what you need most is a water alarm. They are cheap and let out an ear piercing noise. They are cheap. I think I got mine at Loews.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I think that what you need most is a water alarm. They are cheap and let out an ear piercing noise. They are cheap. I think I got mine at Loews.
    I have about a dozen of those alarms through out my house. My large tank also has one made by honeywell which is Wi-Fi and alerts my phone if it detects water. Having 16 tanks in a house with laminate floors is a dangerous world.

Firet time for me was a 44g pentagon tank that sprung a leak.. probly 15 gallons on my bedroom carpet that leaked through the ceiling..

2nd time for ME personally flooding i was filling my 135g tank up in my bedroom and i fell asleep as it was filling up via the hose connected to my sink lol... I woke up to water splashing on the carpet.. it wasnt alot though..

3rd and 4th time was my 92g corner tank.. same thing filling it up via hose to sink.. forgot about it watching t.v then heared water splashing lol.. Thankfully the floor this was on was just lanolium kitchen floor.

Ive also had the filling hose pop out of the tank 2 or 3 times.. when the sink was on full blast and it shot water all over my computer screen walls and bed lol
    Last edited by candymancan; 07-26-2018 at 12:31 AM.