AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NADA 2018 Show Discus Winners

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: NADA 2018 Show Discus Winners

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Perkins View Post
    No doubt. The only thing better than seeing Ricardo and Pat's pictures is being there in person and seeing the real thing.
    Totally agree Keith, nothing better then being there and seeing the fish in person.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Nice pics. But was expecting to see much higher quality Discus entered. Mostly average quality IMO. And the Grand champion? SMH...Bill

Same as I was thinking.
    Mama Bear

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Can some of the veterans around here share what they are looking for in a Grand Champion? I think that all these discus look wonderful however have no metric to decide which should be placed first, second, third etc.

Is it shape, symmetry, color, fins etc??

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    It was mostly Ricardo's work Rick. I was just the helper and provided the computer.
    Pat
    Don't be modest lol. Pat was invaluable to this huge project. I'd also like to thank Ralph and Rich for assistance as well. Rich followed me for hours moving my flash, coaxing the discus, and it was really helpful.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ralph

Nada 2018 New Jersey Show was a great well oiled event.
    I was honoured again to catch up with friends I've seen at Nada 2016 and friends I met for the first time....all very special people.
    Special recognition goes out to the Nada organizers, sponsors, photographers and to all others who devoted their time to make this show possible.
    As usual thanks to Al Sabetta at Simply Discus for offering a sticky on this forum which allows us all to follow the Nada Show updates and photos.

With now having attended my second show....I will point out the superb quality of Discus from all entries that can only be judged in person. Photos of the show Discus are spectacular but nothing like seeing them in person.

Come see a Nada Show for yourself in 2020 and sure it will amaze you on what a Show Discus really looks like in person.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Can some of the veterans around here share what they are looking for in a Grand Champion? I think that all these discus look wonderful however have no metric to decide which should be placed first, second, third etc.

Is it shape, symmetry, color, fins etc??
    It's all of that and more plus the manner in which the fish presents itself at the time of judging. I liked the blue diamond a lot. The people's choice was a beauty but artificially colored to the hilt. From my first look at the pics I would have chosen a different fish for Grand. I'll have to go back and take a second look at the pics.

BTW, the reason that there are 3 judges is because sometimes they don't all agree and have to go back and take a second look at their choices and hash it out. Also, It is impossible to judge fish with just one single pic. There were a couple of fish that weren't holding up their fins like I'm sure they might have, but time is limited and the photographer can't hang around forever waiting for a recalcitrant fish to strut it's stuff.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Filip

Great job Folks .
    Those photos are amazing and all winning discus looks fabulous .

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post

...Ralph
    I thought we had a gentleman's agreement Ralph not to discuss our drinking after the show!

I thought we had a gentleman's agreement Ralph not to discuss our drinking after the show!
    "... well-oiled event"

LUV IT !

Real Name
    Ralph

The Canadian always gets blamed for everything but thanks for referring me as a gentlemen...I could have been called worst...

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Congratulations to all the winners. Was great to see you and Rick in action Pat
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    I was honoured again to catch up with friends I've seen at Nada 2016 and friends I met for the first time....all very special people.
    Special recognition goes out to the Nada organizers, sponsors, photographers and to all others who devoted their time to make this show possible.
    As usual thanks to Al Sabetta at Simply Discus for offering a sticky on this forum which allows us all to follow the Nada Show updates and photos.

With now having attended my second show....I will point out the superb quality of Discus from all entries that can only be judged in person. Photos of the show Discus are spectacular but nothing like seeing them in person.

Come see a Nada Show for yourself in 2020 and sure it will amaze you on what a Show Discus really looks like in person.

...Ralph

Was truly a pleasure to meet you Ralph
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Matt

Y'all did great Ricardo and Pat, much better than mine! Beautiful fish as well.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Y'all did great Ricardo and Pat, much better than mine! Beautiful fish as well.
    I had the same dilemma when I first saw their photos Matt .I still can't make up my mind whose photos are better, yours or theirs ? .
    Great photography folks .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast