ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uncle Sam's

Real Name
    Brian

Default Uncle Sam's

Those who know me know I am very picky about my discus. I always choose to select my own in person and rarely risk ordering online. I hate bumpy foreheads and beaks. I also do not trust UPS or FedEx as far as I can throw them because anything in my area that says “live fish” on it is perceived to be a football and punted all the way across town… I always try to receive airport direct.

However, I am kind of just getting back into the hobby recently after more than 10 years away and wanted some fish. I received an email from Uncle Sam’s a few days ago promoting a nice sale. I was hesitant to order for 2 reasons. 1. I couldn’t see the fish, 2. They do not ship airport to airport unless you have a very large order, and 3. The stock was very limited and I was afraid I may be getting “leftovers”.

After a very brief conversation with someone on the phone, I decided to go for it, mainly because of their reputation I’ve read about. Due to the limited availability, and due to my limited space at this time, I ordered 3 Eruptions, 3.5” Eruptions and 3 Curipera Cross, 5” to be shipped overnight.

UPS arrived about an hour early and the box was in surprisingly good condition. When I opened the box, each discus was individually double bagged, although the bags seemed a little deflated but not leaking. The inside of the box was nice and warm with one heat pack taped on top, although it is summer time so temps were not a concern. Very nice overall packing!

I put the fish in the tank and 4 of them seemed in pretty good shape. One Eruption was totally black and parked on the bottom and another laid on its side breathing heavy. I added some salt and hydrogen peroxide and within about 2 hours all fish were swimming, although the 2 stressed fish were still stressed and dark. After about 5 hours, even though one is still a little dark, they are all up swimming, eating and pecking at each other like discus do.

For the most part, the times I have ordered sight unseen, I have received fish that were smaller than stated and some have not had desirable shape. The fish from Uncle Sam’s I received are at least the size stated and a few are noticeably larger. Their overall shapes and roundness is very nice, the colors are even and the spotteds are spotted. I feel they all will grow out to be very nice and exceptional discus.

Again, I was not optimistic because of the price and limited availability, but I must rate this as a positive experience and I would recommend Uncle Sam’s highly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Default Re: Uncle Sam's

Awesome! I just got mine in today! I'm very happy with the fish I got as well.

dThM9IvsQX6lLLOkYO4i4w.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Please only post first hand experience with Uncle Sam's Discus.
    Thanks,
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

My first ever discus.....finally. I purchased them from Uncle Sams let me know what you think. Pics are mostly from day 5 after arrival some are from day 2. Doing this from my phone so ill post a link....all comments welcomed.
    https://www.snapfish.com/photo-gift/...75060/SNAPFISH

Real Name
    Dale

Jeep, came across a Youtube video over the weekend about Uncle Sam's and unpacking 500 fish, I was thoroughly impressed. I have never ordered from them but after seeing this video I will definitely consider them the next time I order some new fish.

https://youtu.be/hRBhu4DM3LY
    100 discus display * (2) 55 discus breeders * (4) 29 breeder tanks/fry tanks*
    (2) 55 discus grow out * 40 Hex discus * 265 saltwater predator tank *
    150 saltwater FOWLR * 75 gal reef * 20 coral frag

Real Name
    Tom

Jeep I know this is an old thread but I’m wondering how these discus are doing. I bought a pair from them in November and I’m very happy.

I remember when they used to be a sponsor that 1 or 2 folks posted complaints (one in particular that was the buyer's fault and he/she didn't realize... not everyone has cooth). Even the smallest, yet most obvious unjustified complaint can still put a tiny seed of wonder into people's minds. I recieved 4 awesome fish from them in the past and they literally sent me pics and a video of the ones they picked out for me. Wonderful service. I don't know why they stopped being
    a sponsor but I have no ill will towards them at all.
    -Elliot

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

I got 3 shipments from them & the first 2 where great but the 3rd left a lot to be desired. Talked to the owner & his helpers did the picking & packing. Last order was a year & and a half ago.

Real Name
    Brian

Let's say I had a change of heart about Uncle Sam's and will never buy from them again, nor will I recommend them to anyone.

Here's a follow up http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...cus&highlight=

Real Name
    Pat

Outside looking in, to me it looks like they've tried to scale their business into wholesale / bulk ordering of all types of tropical fish being transhipped in. Rebranded to US tropical fish / Uncle Sam's tropical fish. Not criticizing them, it's a difficult business to turn a profit in and scale up. It seems like after starting off specializing in discus when they first hit the scene they've focused on other parts of the business in the last few years. Having one foot in a specialty industry with discerning customers and one foot in a bulk sales "get 'em in, turn 'em out" industry is an extremely difficult balance to strike

Real Name
    Tom

885ADBE5-F7B9-40FB-93FF-7CDCE9E8A99F.jpgC8289A35-EBA3-430B-87E1-755229216210.jpg these are the 2 I got in nov. both are good looking but haven’t grown as much as my other discus. Also for some reason they both will blacken up for no reason. But both will go back to there normal color. Also they seem to have a thicker slime coat. But there was no problem introducing them to the rest of my discus.

I like how this thread's been a healthy balance of reviews. I had a great experience... but I see Brian's thread and yeah, I'd feel the same way. Either way, just wanted to say this is the type of review I like seeing prior to deciding to take my own risk... the "good, the bad, the ugly" from first-hand customers. It gives a company info on what they've done right, where they need to improve, and if they've ever clearly screwed the pooch with anyone.
    -Elliot

I saw this old post for Uncle Sam's and had to look at the web site and I guess you get what you pay for. All his discus are at a discount 51% off that's cheap.

Real Name
    Tom

Yeah that red cover i had has passed. Fine one day dead the next. I had it for around a year. No other problems in the tank.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Yeah that red cover i had has passed. Fine one day dead the next. I had it for around a year. No other problems in the tank.
    Every discus I got from them has died... In 20 years of keeping discus, I have never experienced such catastrophic failure!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast